Which band best represents Rock to you?

Entre_Perpetuo

Which band?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is most synonymous with rock music?

• The Rolling Stones
    • Aerosmith
    • AC/DC
    • Van Halen
    • Foo Fighters (bonus 5th choice!)
    • Other (please specify!)

So for me, four or five bands most acutely represent rock music in my mind. These are the bands that come to mind immediately when I think of rock. But which of these bands best represents rock music to you, and why? Also feel free to choose a different band and post about them instead!

let's see....

Stones - rock knows when to retire after 30 years of shit material

aerosmith - once upon a time yes, but not after years of pussy power ballads

ac/dc - all about rock, nothing but rock. no pretension.

van halen - more about shitshow drama than eddie's prowess.

foo fighters - possible, but not quite.

ac/dc it is.

• Like 2

let's see....

Stones - rock knows when to retire after 30 years of shit material

aerosmith - once upon a time yes, but not after years of pussy power ballads

van halen - more about shitshow drama than eddie's prowess.

foo fighters - possible, but not quite.

ac/dc it is.

2005’s A Bigger Bang, 1994’s Voodoo Lounge and 1989’s Steel Wheels, all great rock albums, take us back 30 years. Tattoo You was released in 1981. Some Girls was released in 1978. Exile on Main Street was released in 1972. Beggars Banquet was released in 1968. They weren’t active in 1938. What 30 years do you mean?

• Like 3

let's see....

ac/dc it is.

Yeah, if we're looking for a no-nonsense definition of rock, AC/DC is it. For further evidence, what do they have, like 47 songs with the word "rock" in the title?

:guitar:

• Like 4

I chose my least favorite band on the list, The Stones. Why? Because they’re of that rock pioneering generation, they helped invent the various genres of rock.
  • Like 2

I have to go with the Stones! They were there at the beginning, still here now, play solid blues based rock that is the best rock sound,imo.

Plus, when you talk about the rock lifestyle, they were it. Shout out to AC/DC though, and Led Zeppelin and Sabbath.

• Like 3

I voted AC/DC because to the best of my knowledge, they never played a ballad.

Google "AC/DC Love Song"

The guitar intro is killer, but then a crooning Bon sets in on some romance.

Immediately thought of The Stones when I read the thread title. I voted for them but could easily change it to Aerosmith or AC/DC. But the Stones have always been there. They are my dad's favorite band and I grew up listening to all of their records. I can't remember a time where they weren't a part of my life.
  • Like 3

%20https%3A//66.media.tumblr.com/e26b38988a51168d0a865e110c046ec7/tumblr_n985erhNMC1tuk85ro1_1280.gif

Umm, neither rock nor roll. Fail.

As for the list, I voted AC/DC because to the best of my knowledge, they never played a ballad. All rock, all the time.

Huh? You mean The Jack wasn't a ballad?

• Like 1

%20https%3A//66.media.tumblr.com/e26b38988a51168d0a865e110c046ec7/tumblr_n985erhNMC1tuk85ro1_1280.gif

Umm, neither rock nor roll. Fail.

As for the list, I voted AC/DC because to the best of my knowledge, they never played a ballad. All rock, all the time.

Huh? You mean The Jack wasn't a ballad?

More of a cautionary tale.
  • Like 4

Ah yes! Zeppelin is another great contender. For some reason they never come to mind as often as the first four bands on the list, but I can find no great reason why they shouldn’t except that perhaps they were the most experimental of the bunch (of course The Stones have had their share of experiments too).

As for the Foo Fighters, I included them because they represent modern rock to be in a way no other band can match. Every other latter day rock band seems like a slight deviation from the modern rock playbook compared to them.

And I chose Aerosmith because, in spite of the ballads, no other band screams rock quite like them. When I picture a great rock band, I picture a band comparable to Aerosmith. Just the right guitar tones, just the right back beats, just the right bass lines, just the right lead vocals. And just the right image as well. In my head The Stones are a bit too bluesy/southern (just a bit), AC/DC are too hard, and Van Halen is too high energy. These aren’t cons for any of them, but just slight differences from what I see as Aerosmith’s pure rock formula.

• Like 1

Ah yes! Zeppelin is another great contender. For some reason they never come to mind as often as the first four bands on the list, but I can find no great reason why they shouldn’t except that perhaps they were the most experimental of the bunch (of course The Stones have had their share of experiments too).

As for the Foo Fighters, I included them because they represent modern rock to be in a way no other band can match. Every other latter day rock band seems like a slight deviation from the modern rock playbook compared to them.

And I chose Aerosmith because, in spite of the ballads, no other band screams rock quite like them. When I picture a great rock band, I picture a band comparable to Aerosmith. Just the right guitar tones, just the right back beats, just the right bass lines, just the right lead vocals. And just the right image as well. In my head The Stones are a bit too bluesy/southern (just a bit), AC/DC are too hard, and Van Halen is too high energy. These aren’t cons for any of them, but just slight differences from what I see as Aerosmith’s pure rock formula.

70s Aerosmith, for sure.
  • Like 2