Time Stand Still

Rush Didact

I've always liked that song too and don't understand the hate it gets from a segment of fans. OK, so its not exactly hard rock but the song has soul and a great melody and arrangement

Absolutely one of the band’s best songs...hands down.

Agree. LOVE this song, especially lyrically.

• Like 2

:musicnote:...Summer's going fast, nights growing colder

Children growing up, old friends growing older

Freeze this moment a little bit longer

Make each sensation a little bit stronger

Experience slips away

Experience slips away

The innocence slips away ... :musicnote:

Really REALLY timely right now in my own life. Holy....

Last time I heard them do it live was the Time machine tour... got me all choked up then,

and it still does these days, from time to time.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

I've always liked that song too and don't understand the hate it gets from a segment of fans. OK, so its not exactly hard rock but the song has soul and a great melody and arrangement

I think the cringetastic video ruined any chance for popularity within the Rush fanbase or outside of it.

It probably could've been a really great video if they put some f***ing thought into it.

• Like 2

I've always loved this song, from the time I first heard it in my early teens. I always 'got it', in an intellectual sense, but as the years roll on it gains more resonance and becomes more real; real to the point of almost uncomfortable intimacy.

Here I sit, in the last moments of August: summer going fast and nights growing colder, my head filled in recent weeks with thoughts of children growing up and friends growing older, and I happened to stumble on this song, quite randomly, in a recommended Youtube video. The next thing I know, I have tears in my eyes, and it all seems so overwhelming.

I realized this summer that I'm exactly the age Neil was when he wrote the lyrics for the songs on Hold Your Fire. Being in your mid-30s seems to make you newly aware of how quickly time is going by, as if things have suddenly sped up a little, or I blinked and skipped a few years while I wasn't looking. You start to lose some friends and family to the cruel statistical inevitability of death, and when you understand that your allotted time with them is finished, you want to claw it back somehow, and freeze this moment a little bit longer with the ones who remain.

There are many Rush songs that feel like they're speaking directly to me, many that have had profound and powerful influences on my life, but I'm not sure any of them match the sublime beauty and poignancy of this one. Thank you, Neil, for this exquisite gift to the world. I finally get it, really and truly get it. I only wish that one day I could have the chance to tell you how much it means to me...

One of my favorite songs to play on the drum kit.

• Like 1

I remember at Hartford Civic Center, on the Roll the Bones tour, they had 2 large speakers set up at the back of the venue, just over the soundboard. During the solo/bridge section of TSS, the effects and keyboard hits were bouncing around the venue in 4 channels. It was a very cool effect that I have never seen any other band implement. I don't think Rush ever did it again either. They were used to great effect with Force 10 as well.

Awesome f***ing show.

A lot of the Hartford boots are good no matter which tour.

http://youtu.be/mc8tGAEN9ss

Alex's guitar in Force 10. :wub: Geddy's voice is top-notch that night. They go right into Freewill. Good times!!! Happy days!!!!

That above boot is from my very first Rush show. Nice!

My first Rush show was on that tour also, about two months before.

:cheers:

• Like 2