Least Favorite Rush Album

Lorraine

I don't think Rush ever made a bad album, just ones that stick out as relative weak points.

With that in mind, I think Roll the Bones might be their weakest. It has 2 of the very few Rush songs I don't like ("Face Up" and "Heresy"- the latter is my pick for the worst song they ever did). But even that has some really great songs, like "Dreamline", "Bravado", "Ghost of a Chance" and one that many will disagree on- "Neurotica".

Neurotica kicks ass until the chorus.

I don't think Rush ever made a bad album, just ones that stick out as relative weak points.

With that in mind, I think Roll the Bones might be their weakest. It has 2 of the very few Rush songs I don't like ("Face Up" and "Heresy"- the latter is my pick for the worst song they ever did). But even that has some really great songs, like "Dreamline", "Bravado", "Ghost of a Chance" and one that many will disagree on- "Neurotica".

Disagree on Neurotica, and I'd replace Face Up with You Bet Your Life...but yeah. I rag on this all the time on here, but half of it's not bad, and some of that half is actually really good, even by Rush's standards. Still my least favorite though...and Heresy trumps a lot of more vocal choices for worst Rush song in my book (like Tai Shan and Dog Years, both of which are a solid C in my book).

Neurotica has the weakest laziest most underwhelming chorus out of their entire catalog lol

It's Def Leppard's Hysteria without an ounce of feeling...or the sweet back up vocals.

Neurotica has the weakest laziest most underwhelming chorus out of their entire catalog lol

The dawn of Geddy's long run of "whoah-ooo-oah" vocal stylings, taken to the Nth degree on Vapor Trails. Not a fan of him doing that.

The dawn of Geddy's long run of "whoah-ooo-oah" vocal stylings, taken to the Nth degree on Vapor Trails. Not a fan of him doing that.

...and you forgot words that didn't have enough syllables to fit the music.
  • Like 3

Disagree on Neurotica, and I'd replace Face Up with You Bet Your Life

Yes x10!

I really like RTB overall, but it should have just been nine songs. They could have just not included YBYL and it would have been a better album.

I don't get how some people apparently like all the music equally. That's just weird. My least favorite is the debut. There are some songs I like on it, but not enough to listen to it very often. Also interesting that so many people generally dislike Test For Echo and Counterparts.

I love Counterparts, but can’t stand Test for Echo. Go figure.

• Like 1

Disagree on Neurotica, and I'd replace Face Up with You Bet Your Life

Yes x10!

I really like RTB overall, but it should have just been nine songs. They could have just not included YBYL and it would have been a better album.

Face Up, Neurotica, and YBYL all get Fs from me. In fact, YBYL gets three Fs!!!

• Like 2

Don't murder me for this opinion, but I always put the debut in my bottom two. It's got four of my favorite Rush songs, but the other four are just terribly weak and I always pass over them. The other album in my bottom two is Test for Echo, with a two or three relatively good songs, and the rest of them are either just average or also terribly weak.

Also, "terribly weak," "average," and "relatively good" are all compared to Rush's catalog. I'd take Dog Years and Tai Shan over a lot of other music.

Counterparts is fantastic musically but maybe Neil's worst lyrics ever. Relationships were not his strong point as a subject to write about.

They were bad on CP. They reached a whole new level of excrement on TFE.

Just to say i love neurotica, the chorus perfectly fitting, is a great track all round hits the vibe square in middle where the band were at the time.

+ Best bass intro ever, rivalled only by phil lynott in waiting for an alibi

• Like 1

Man im really gonna piss some people off about this but its honestly my least favorite(s)

it's either 2112, or power windows

2112 only has Lessons and Passage to Bangkok, all the other songs are pretty mediocre

Power windows only has Territories, and the rest are mediocre but not as mediocre as 2112's other mediocre songs

Counterparts is pretty bad in my opinion compared to other Rush albums but it's noticeably better than 2112 and Power Windows

What also really pisses people off is my top 4 Rush albums are (in order): Hold Your Fire, Vapor Trails (2002 version, 2012 remix is disgusting), Caress of Steel, and Presto

Edited by CyriK
  • Like 2

VT, COS and Rush get the least amount of playtime for me. However they all have some great songs.

They have never recorded a true stinker album. They all have songs that can be considered classic tunes in their vast catalog.

VT - Vapor Trails is one of my all time favorite songs from them.

COS - Bastille Day is a freaking rocker and despite the clunky corny lyrics The Necromancer cooks. And No One At The Bridge is majestic.

Rush - Love Working Man, Finding My Way and What Your Doing

Vapor Trails (2002 version, 2012 remix is disgusting)

Agreed

WOAH someone else who agrees thats a rare sight now to become blood brothers; is you favorite Metallica album unironically St. Anger?