Least Favorite Rush Album

Lorraine

My least favorite is Power Window for sure. I do love Territories and the Manhattan Project though.

I forgot about Power Windows. I think that would be my next least favorite album.

It was probably the most disappointing, it pretty much assured us that the Golden Years were not returning.

• Like 2

The Yin and Yang albums as I call them; Counterparts and Test for Echo. Just can't find anything on them that has that wow factor.

How are things in Tasmania? We never hear much about your country in the news.

It's a state of Australia. Same crap that goes on everywhere else. Coming into Spring so hopefully the weather starts warming up and I can get in the water for a surf.
  • Like 1

Presto or Counterparts. Probably Presto because CP at least has Leave That Thing Alone and Nobody's Hero, edging out The Pass and Available Light.

The thing about Snakes is most of the songs are good to very good individually but there are so many midtempo tracks in a row that it's hard to listen to it front to back.

From RTB on, there's not an album I listen to in one sitting. That said, each album has songs I really like.

VaporTrails,original mix, because it gave me a not so favourite headache.Remix was a vast improvement although some of the songwriting was still ordinary.

I love the songwriting, but the production, instrumentation and vocal arrangements are abrasive.

I don't get how some people apparently like all the music equally. That's just weird. My least favorite is the debut. There are some songs I like on it, but not enough to listen to it very often. Also interesting that so many people generally dislike Test For Echo and Counterparts.
  • Like 2

The Yin and Yang albums as I call them; Counterparts and Test for Echo. Just can't find anything on them that has that wow factor.

It's a state of Australia. Same crap that goes on everywhere else. Coming into Spring so hopefully the weather starts warming up and I can get in the water for a surf.

:LOL: No one would ever mistake me for a genius. If I ever knew Tasmania was in Australia, I forgot.

Thanks!

I don't get how some people apparently like all the music equally. That's just weird. My least favorite is the debut. There are some songs I like on it, but not enough to listen to it very often. Also interesting that so many people generally dislike Test For Echo and Counterparts.

I found that interesting too as I think both Test For Echo and Counterparts each have quite a few good songs. But apparently most don't view the albums the same.

:LOL: No one would ever mistake me for a genius. If I ever knew Tasmania was in Australia, I forgot.

Thanks!

The only thing I know about Tasmania is that it's in the Southern Hemisphere, which means that albums spin counterclockwise there, so if you put S&A on there, you can hear Neil Peart' s spoken renditions of Amazing Grace and the Catholic High Mass.

• Like 2

People who say they like it all exactly the same are full of sh*t. Rush albums aren’t your children.

• Like 6

Its a little quiet down here because Rush never came here.
  • Like 1

Thanks!

The only thing I know about Tasmania is that it's in the Southern Hemisphere, which means that albums spin counterclockwise there, so if you put S&A on there, you can hear Neil Peart' s spoken renditions of Amazing Grace and the Catholic High Mass.

We are all into backmasking(is that the term?) down here.Been listening to all those evil hidden messages for years and that Neil Peart is a main offender.
  • Like 2

People who say they like it all exactly the same are full of sh*t. Rush albums aren’t your children.

I am one of those weird people who will listen to anything even rap ,just to find if there is anything good about it or if I can get any ideas from it(I am a musician).I can put on Slayer then Burl Ives in the space of ten minutes which drives the missus nuts.With Rush I can quite happily play the debut and then HYF.The only one I have difficulty with as mentioned is VP.There is some great songs on it but I just can’t play it all the way through(original mix).I love all the Rush albums almost equally.

I don't think Rush ever made a bad album, just ones that stick out as relative weak points.

With that in mind, I think Roll the Bones might be their weakest. It has 2 of the very few Rush songs I don't like ("Face Up" and "Heresy"- the latter is my pick for the worst song they ever did). But even that has some really great songs, like "Dreamline", "Bravado", "Ghost of a Chance" and one that many will disagree on- "Neurotica".

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 3

I am one of those weird people who will listen to anything even rap ,just to find if there is anything good about it or if I can get any ideas from it(I am a musician).I can put on Slayer then Burl Ives in the space of ten minutes which drives the missus nuts.With Rush I can quite happily play the debut and then HYF.The only one I have difficulty with as mentioned is VP.There is some great songs on it but I just can’t play it all the way through(original mix).I love all the Rush albums almost equally.

There's a difference between thinking that all the albums have merit, and saying they are all about the same quality though. I can see saying you can enjoy the debut and HYF. So can I, when I'm in the right frame of mind. But neither album approaches Permanent Waves in quality.

• Like 3

Thanks!

We are all into backmasking(is that the term?) down here.Been listening to all those evil hidden messages for years and that Neil Peart is a main offender.

I was in the UK from 1979 to 1994 so was lucky to see a lot of Rush before I migrated back to Tasmania. Hoping that on the 40th anniversary release of Permanent Waves we get a recorded version of Broon's Bane, hey Alex? Stick it before Jacob's Ladder or Entre Nous.

Even my least favorite Rush album - Vapor Trails - has two of Rush's best songs on it - Secret Touch and Ghost Rider.

There's no real disaster album for me when it comes to Rush. Every album has at least two redeeming songs on it that make the album worthwhile.

I can find at least three songs on every album I really dig which makes picking a garbage album hard. Today? Clockwork Angels but that could change four days from now. It would never be Permanent Waves

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

My tastes in the albums may fluctuate, but it's the usual suspects in the bottom two or three (and ditto at the top). They're not terrible, just not as good as the others. It's not Lake Woebegone: they can't all be above average.

HYF, T4E, RtB get my votes in this thread . . .

• Like 1