Weirdest Rush albums or songs

New_World_Man

I don't know if this has ever been posted before but anyway I'm curious what you all think is the weirdest Rush song or album. I think it's much easier to chose songs than albums so I'll start with albums. Also, I think some songs have parts that are strange.

The only two albums that I think are kind of strange over all are Caress of Steel and Signals. Others have weird parts but on the whole are not overly strange. This is brings me to individual songs:

Didacts and narpets (yes I know it's part of a larger piece)

The Twilight Zone

Roll the Bones (for the spoken rap part)

The Body Electric (lyrically not so much sonically)

Digital Man (for me signals just has this weird sci fi/science vibe and I think this song exemplifies it)

By Tor and the Snowdog (for the odd guitar sounds in the middle)

The Necromancer

2112 over all(the suite)isn't really that strange except the final "attention all planets" part.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

TFE is pretty weird lyrically and not in a good way.

Double Agent is probably their weirdest song, at least if the ones not on CoS. Again, not in a good way.

• Like 1

I'd say everything from PeW through Presto was pretty outside of the box in terms of what other popular bands were doing. Probably the weirdest of them is p/g. Sure, a number of the sounds of the synth era were taken from The Police or Talking Heads or Devo or something, but none of those new wave / synth wave groups were playing music both as heavy and proggy as Rush were at the time. I think a lot of that comes down to Alex's playing, with help from Neil's never ending barrage of fills.
  • Like 1

Grace, weird? Never! Well, maybe a little bit.

How could "I Think I'm Going Bald" not be exhibit 1 in this discussion?

Sounds like a tossed off track by any number of mid 70s blues rock bands. That's not an insult, because I love that sound, but it's nothing very special.

Because Dog Years was written. At least I Think I'm going Bald was blatantly written jokingly. Dog Years seems to have actually been written to be taken seriously. Also, I Think I'm going Bald is a pretty kick-ass song if you excuse the silly lyrics while Dog Years just sucks through and through. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

Because Dog Years was written. At least I Think I'm going Bald was blatantly written jokingly. Dog Years seems to have actually been written to be taken seriously. Also, I Think I'm going Bald is a pretty kick-ass song if you excuse the silly lyrics while Dog Years just sucks through and through.

Dog Years has the best groove Rush ever laid down. Song kicks ass!

Because Dog Years was written. At least I Think I'm going Bald was blatantly written jokingly. Dog Years seems to have actually been written to be taken seriously. Also, I Think I'm going Bald is a pretty kick-ass song if you excuse the silly lyrics while Dog Years just sucks through and through.

Dog Years has the best groove Rush ever laid down. Song kicks ass!

I just really have a hard time getting into most of T4E.
  • Like 1

Well I am going to toss in the Trees because it was the first Rush song I heard back in 79? when my flat mate made me read the lyrics while he played it to a youthful 17 year old me.Of course it all made sense later but this was a time when I was still struggling figure out what Stairway to Heaven was all about let alone King Crimson,Faust,Can,etc.
  • Like 2

AFTK was their weirdest album wasn't it?

Actually, the weirdest, most bizarre notion about Rush (in my opinion) is that there was only a span of eight years between the recordings of The Necromancer and...Red Lenses. Holy moley.

• Like 6

Snakes for me because Rush doing an album of folk-rock type songs was not their best idea nor played to their strengths. Far Cry and Malignant N were the only two songs on the entire album that sounded like them. I respect that they made an entire career out of changing direction every few albums but that wasn't a good one for them in hindsight and seems a lot of fans consider it a drink coaster now
  • Like 4

Weirdest:

Cinderella Man

Didacts and Narpets

Twilight Zone

Madrigal

Cygnus X-1

...maybe their most experimental?

But weirdest album? I would go with Signals.... With the complete change in musical composition/direction, Rush lost a lot of fans (but picked up new ones as well )....

Weird is not necessarily good!

• Like 1

Snakes for me because Rush doing an album of folk-rock type songs was not their best idea nor played to their strengths. Far Cry and Malignant N were the only two songs on the entire album that sounded like them. I respect that they made an entire career out of changing direction every few albums but that wasn't a good one for them in hindsight and seems a lot of fans consider it a drink coaster now

Man do those snake songs ever drag live... they played almost the entire album in the tour.

• Like 3

I'm listening to my car's music USB track by track, alphabetically. I'll listen to most tracks but skip many as well, being those I just don't have any interest in compared to what might be coming next (with nearly 2K tracks recorded I usually have no idea what's next). As I have all the Rush albums on it a Rush tune will come up time to time. I've found that with few exceptions, I'll skip every track from PoW through T4E. I can listen to those songs if listening to those entire albums, but when mixed with tunes from Zeppelin, or The Beatles, or any of the other many bands I've got on that USB, the PoW through T4E songs just come off as extremely weak. Does that make them weird? Kind of to me, as I find myself thinking, "How does a band this talented, and who made such amazing music for it's first decade of existence, go on to record these nearly unlistenable songs?" I guess that seems weird to me. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I'm listening to my car's music USB track by track, alphabetically. I'll listen to most tracks but skip many as well, being those I just don't have any interest in compared to what might be coming next (with nearly 2K tracks recorded I usually have no idea what's next). As I have all the Rush albums on it a Rush tune will come up time to time. I've found that with few exceptions, I'll skip every track from PoW through T4E. I can listen to those songs if listening to those entire albums, but when mixed with tunes from Zeppelin, or The Beatles, or any of the other many bands I've got on that USB, the PoW through T4E songs just come off as extremely weak. Does that make them weird? Kind of to me, as I find myself thinking, "How does a band this talented, and who made such amazing music for it's first decade of existence, go on to record these nearly unlistenable songs?" I guess that seems weird to me.

Entirely too many songs to discount, IMO. There’s some great stuff in there.

But to each his or her own.

• Like 2

Weirdest:

Cinderella Man

Didacts and Narpets

Twilight Zone

Madrigal

Cygnus X-1

I think so. All over the map, and not necessarily in a good way.
  • Like 1

Heh. I went to a couple Snakes tour shows and couldn't wait for then to get past all the new songs. Like I said, Far Cry kicked ass but the others, yeeech. Talk about a string of bathroom or beer stand break songs... lol

I've sometimes wondered if bands ever notice fans leaving their seats walking away during certain songs or segments of their sets and if it bothers them

• Like 1