Cinema Strangiato Early Review

ouchithurts

Too many commercials. I enjoyed the film proper though even though I'm not sure when it officially started. Lol. To be honest I would rather see something like this in the privacy of my own home or at a showing with fewer people. My brother wanted to go though and the seven o clock show(the crowded one)was the only one he could attend.

As for the film. I wish there weren't outtakes of the goofy stuff and just proper skits instead. Also, I feel that much of the music was geared towards casual Rush fans and not the more hardcore fans. Over all very good though.

• Like 1

The promos at the head of this ran long. First other "rock movie" trailers my theater will soon be showing - a ZZ Top documentary, a Roger Waters thing, a Vanilla Ice thing, and apparently a "designing of Neil's drum kit" documentary - followed by the trailer for an indie horror flick, a short AFTK-related Rushtoon, a Geddy-endorses-Fender ad, an Alex-endorses-Gibson ad, and I can't remember what else.

Next came the segment on Geddy's bass collection and his BBBoB, which thankfully didn't feel like a self-serving advertisement until it neared the finish line. It didn't run 40 minutes as someone above said; I'd estimate 15-20 minutes.

Then the feature, which as advertised was "R40 plus." It was the R40 home video, minus several songs but with some extras sprinkled throughout - a soundcheck of Jacob's Ladder; outtakes of the guys filming their silly film shorts; interview clips of Taylor Hawkins, Johnathan Dinklage, Billy Corgan, Tom Morello and his equally Rush-obsessed wife, etc. By the time you've traveled backwards through the Rush catalog as far as 2112, you just want to go home... but there's still four more songs. Long movie, an endurance test. (My wife the casual fan thought the epics shown back-to-back was too much all at once: Hemispheres Prelude, Xanadu, followed by more than half of 2112. That's the part us diehards LIKE! But bless her, she requested Red Barchetta for the ride home.)

Setlist as I recall it:

Jacob's Ladder (soundcheck)

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

Roll the Bones

Distant Early Warning

Losing It (w/ Dinklage)

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

The Spirit of Radio

Hemispheres: Prelude

Closer to the Heart

Xanadu

2112: Overture/Syrinx/Presentation/Finale

Encore -

Lakeside Park

Anthem

What You're Doing

Working Man

Several funny moments, including beautiful Mrs. Morello being counted as "female Rush fan #45" and Dinklage talking about the difficulty of playing Losing It: "it's Rush, so it's in 5 instead of 4, and it's in G-flat, which if you know the violin, is a pain in the neck!"

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 2

Is this the clip with Johnathan Dinklage that's featured in Cinema Strangiato?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Eye8gLiVM

Basically, yes. In the CS version, the interview segment was just a smidge longer, and edited differently, but that's it. The interview and performance weren't superimposed over each other - we got the interview then the entire song performed in concert.

Pros: The soundcheck of Jacob's Ladder at what appears to be each venue and the Johnathan Dinklage stuff was great.

Cons: Missing songs like Animate. 20-40% too much fan air instrument playing. Lame out takes.

• Like 2

Ended with... "See you next year!"

Thought that was interesting.

I think my brother said they are doing this every year. Kind of strange to me that a band that is apparently broken up is still putting out movies.

I actually enjoyed the behind the scenes look at Geddy's book. Pretty cool stuff.

Yes it was. I would have appreciated it more if I hadn’t sat through 20 minutes of other Anthem brands commercials.

I actually enjoyed the behind the scenes look at Geddy's book. Pretty cool stuff.

Yes it was. I would have appreciated it more if I hadn’t sat through 20 minutes of other Anthem brands commercials.

20 minutes of commercials is less than usual at the movies tbh.

I thought it was good but not great. Lots of insight on Geddy's book (although because it's been well promoted for months and I own the book, it wasn't new to me) that most casual fans would enjoy.

Given that the band is retired and hasn't toured in 4 years, I was very happy to see anything and was also happy to see fans get together.

• Like 1

Geddy’s 40 minute book advertisement was a bit much.

Would have wished it was 40 minutes or more. Didn't go, but that was one of things that would have gotten me to go. From what I understand, the compiled "new" footage wasn't more than about 30 minutes.