Woodstock August 15, 1969

custom55

I was just short of turning 13 at the time and there was zero chance I was gonna go even tho I was dying to. I was A) too young to be allowed to go to a rock concert. I was not allowed to go to any until I was nearly 16 because there were likely bad influences at such an event (were there ever LOL). And unfortunately B) I grew up in the cultural backwater of Spokane, Washington. Reno calls itself "The Biggest Little City in the World" while I've always called Spokane "the biggest small town in the USA" pretty much cuz it was in those days. It's a little better now but sure as hell isn't Seattle, Portland, SF or LA. Anyway, at age 13 a trek across the country for a 3 day concert just wasn't going to happen even if my folks had been relaxed enough to allow it rather than thinking rock & roll was the ruination of American society.

Even if I could have been there just for Jimi's performance........................

Woodstock looks like a stinking, wet, nasty bunch of stinking, wet, nasty kids strung out on the dope, acid and lsd to be much fun.

All this fawning and cock gobbling over a messy clusterfuck of a mis-managed concert festival is something that I simply can’t understand. Damned hippies.

There was more to Woodstock than what you're mentioning here.

Some people think there is. I think there isn’t. Perceptions and wants.

I like the chronic as much as the next guy, maybe more, but mind-altered youthful exuberance with no responsibilities doesn’t seem like much upon which to base generational aspirations upon. Truth is you can’t. The unwashed masses flopping around in the mud still have to put a roof over their head and feed themselves at some point...and not with other people’s food as happened there because they ran out due to terrible management.

The rosy glow and euphoric nostalgia surrounding Woodstock is too much.

Put 400,000 15-25 year olds together today for 3 days with one of those being a monsoon like downpour and do it with a shortage of food, some bad LSD, the proliferation of guns in society these days along with our seemingly ever increasing penchant for violence, etc. and see how they handle it. I fukking guarantee you it would be so bad it would make Altamont look like a Sunday picnic in the park.

Yes, it was a poorly managed event, but the fact that there was ZERO violence despite the myriad of problems speaks volumes about the attitudes that the festival goers arrived with. Those "stinking hippies" managed to handle some at times rough circumstances.

Most importantly in my eyes, a good portion of the performances were fukking fantastic!! The sets by Jimi, The Who, CSN, Sly, Santana, Ten Years After, etc. alone are worthy of a "rosy glow and some euphoric nostalgia" all by themselves.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3

Well, it has been repeated. There was Woodstock 94, Woodstock 99, Woodstock 2009 and at least one this year also.

Oh? And how many were at each, and what bands were there?

You know you can easily look this information up online yourself. ;)

Well, it has been repeated. There was Woodstock 94, Woodstock 99, Woodstock 2009 and at least one this year also.

You know you can easily look this information up online yourself. ;)

You brought them up and claimed they were a repeat of the original, so I thought you'd know.

A repeat in the sense that they bore the Woodstock name. Some of the bands were the same but a lot of newer bands too. No, you would be better off looking it up on wikipedia or wherever. I don't get paid to be anyone's personal secretary or researcher on here. ;)

A repeat in the sense that they bore the Woodstock name. Some of the bands were the same but a lot of newer bands too. No, you would be better off looking it up on wikipedia or wherever. I don't get paid to be anyone's personal secretary or researcher on here. ;)

Don't worry, I'd never mistake you for either. :)

Kind of an unnecessary comment but whatever.

Kind of an unnecessary comment but whatever.

Your comments were unnecessary too. Just saying. :)

I remember watching 1994 ( maybe on MTV ? but I can't remember ). 1999 had a lot of violence, if I remember correctly.

Lorraine, I know what you mean. 1969 morphed into an event that the promoters never planned on holding. Fortunately everything worked out ok, unlike Altamont in December.

• Like 1

Wow, I was just reading a little bit about Woodstock 99 on wikipedia. It seems to have been the opposite of the original. Not quite Altamont maybe but gang rapes and vandelism and stuff. Not good.

Wow, I was just reading a little bit about Woodstock 99 on wikipedia. It seems to have been the opposite of the original. Not quite Altamont maybe but gang rapes and vandelism and stuff. Not good.

There you have it. :)

There you have it. :)

There I have what?

The one in 94 wasn't like that.

Yeah, so I'm going to present some 'facts'. When questioned about them, I'm going to tell the questioner to google it for him/herself. Rather than back up my own assertions. Edited by grep

Yeah, so I'm going to present some 'facts'. When questioned about them, I'm going to tell the questioner to google it for him/herself. Rather than back up my own assertions.

Sorry dude, I'm not taking the bait.

Creedence Clearwater Revival have released their 1969 Woodstock performance on a new live album according to here.

The album can be heard in its entirety

I should also mention that former Eagles member Don Felder has mentioned recently of being in the audience at Woodstock according to here.

Felder wrote and recorded the title track of being inspired by the Woodstock experience on his latest album below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXQhL-3xtk

Just got this album. It's the first Don Felder album since the one with "Bad Girls" on it that I'll own. "Airborne". Wow! That was '83 when that came out!

NbB8u5B.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan

So Woodstock has crossed 50 years. Will we stop hearing about it and all subsequent anniversaries?

Finally?

It was a garbage dump.

My fave is the CSN&Y version. Always thought they wrote it but then discovered it was Joni's song. Never was a big fan of Joni.

I'll have to give a listen to the MSC one.

EDIT: This is what I think of the MSC one: :boo hiss:

Edited by Lorraine