Woodstock August 15, 1969

custom55

50 years ago, the week before Woodstock, I was arguing with my parents about going to Woodstock. I had very good reasons for going but they didn't agree. My neighbors went and I've could have gone with them but given I was 14y.o., my parents said NO.

I've been to the site a few times and the museum is fantastic. Very spiritual experience.

My favorite performance of the three days, The Who, of course.

http://youtu.be/aaUDOzorCcI

• Like 8

Creedence Clearwater Revival have released their 1969 Woodstock performance on a new live album according to here.

The album can be heard in its entirety

I should also mention that former Eagles member Don Felder has mentioned recently of being in the audience at Woodstock according to here.

Felder wrote and recorded the title track of being inspired by the Woodstock experience on his latest album below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXQhL-3xtk

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 4

In '97 I took my wanna-be hippy girlfriend there on a trip from Utah. There was an old man in a nearby store who I guess was also in the movie and she recognized him. You would've thought she was meeting a Beatle.

That was very funny.

Are you serious?

In '97 I took my wanna-be hippy girlfriend there on a trip from Utah. There was an old man in a nearby store who I guess was also in the movie and she recognized him. You would've thought she was meeting a Beatle.

That was very funny.

Are you serious?

I am. She got pictures with him had him tell stories. Then we went over to the actual concert site and she had me take her picture sitting on a rock with a cross legged meditation pose going on. We're still friends today on Facebook, and nearly every one of her posts is a lyric snippet of some classic from that time, with a tie-dye or psychedelic background. Keep in mind, Woodstock was 5 years before she was even born. Her mother was the ultimate hippie however. She picked up a hitchhiker in 74, he hung around for two or three days and she showed up 9 months later.

• Like 1

Well, it wasn't Max Yasgur because he died in 1973 so maybe it was Michael Lang who is the founder of the original Woodstock. I haven't seen the movie in a while though so it could be anyone who was in it.

Well, it wasn't Max Yasgur because he died in 1973 so maybe it was Michael Lang who is the founder of the original Woodstock. I haven't seen the movie in a while though so it could be anyone who was in it.

I think he was just a local store owner. She showed me the snippet of the movie when we got back to Utah.

• Like 1

That was very funny.

Are you serious?

I am. She got pictures with him had him tell stories. Then we went over to the actual concert site and she had me take her picture sitting on a rock with a cross legged meditation pose going on. We're still friends today on Facebook, and nearly every one of her posts is a lyric snippet of some classic from that time, with a tie-dye or psychedelic background. Keep in mind, Woodstock was 5 years before she was even born. Her mother was the ultimate hippie however. She picked up a hitchhiker in 74, he hung around for two or three days and she showed up 9 months later.

Oh, Ed. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: You made my day. Thanks for the much needed laughs. :cheers:

50 years ago today at 5am, The Who took the stage at Woodstock.

I'm such a Who fan that I got up today at 5am and played their entire woodstock setlist. That performance ( as seen in the the Woodstock movie ) changed my taste/preferences in music forever.

http://youtu.be/uJWwiZ_NGrU

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Woodstock looks like a stinking, wet, nasty bunch of stinking, wet, nasty kids strung out on the dope, acid and lsd to be much fun.

All this fawning and cock gobbling over a messy clusterfuck of a mis-managed concert festival is something that I simply can’t understand. Damned hippies.

• Like 1

Woodstock looks like a stinking, wet, nasty bunch of stinking, wet, nasty kids strung out on the dope, acid and lsd to be much fun.

All this fawning and cock gobbling over a messy clusterfuck of a mis-managed concert festival is something that I simply can’t understand. Damned hippies.

There was more to Woodstock than what you're mentioning here.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Absolutely.

• Like 1

Just one thing about your generalization of the attendees...

My ex-manager at work, Steve, a CTO of a Wall Street firm, attended all three days of Woodstock. Damned hippie Steve, you stinking, wet, nasty kid strung out on the dope.

I'm so glad my parents didn't let me go... I wouldn't want to be classified as a damn hippie that is stinking, wet, nasty kid strung out on the dope, acid and lsd.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Some people think there is. I think there isn’t. Perceptions and wants.

I like the chronic as much as the next guy, maybe more, but mind-altered youthful exuberance with no responsibilities doesn’t seem like much upon which to base generational aspirations upon. Truth is you can’t. The unwashed masses flopping around in the mud still have to put a roof over their head and feed themselves at some point...and not with other people’s food as happened there because they ran out due to terrible management.

The rosy glow and euphoric nostalgia surrounding Woodstock is too much.

Some people think there is. I think there isn’t. Perceptions and wants.

I like the chronic as much as the next guy, maybe more, but mind-altered youthful exuberance with no responsibilities doesn’t seem like much upon which to base generational aspirations upon. Truth is you can’t. The unwashed masses flopping around in the mud still have to put a roof over their head and feed themselves at some point...and not with other people’s food as happened there because they ran out due to terrible management.

The rosy glow and euphoric nostalgia surrounding Woodstock is too much.

You don't know much about the sixties do you? Woodstock was very much a culmination of the ideals and values of the youth and counterculture of the time. You really can't judge it unless you understand what it was all about, what they were trying to accomplish or you were there.

Was he Wavy Gravy?

My ex-manager at work, Steve, a CTO of a Wall Street firm, attended all three days of Woodstock. Damned hippie Steve, you stinking, wet, nasty kid strung out on the dope.

I'm so glad my parents didn't let me go... I wouldn't want to be classified as a damn hippie that is stinking, wet, nasty kid strung out on the dope, acid and lsd.

My late Uncle, head of a lot of things at a big Wall St firm was also there for all 3 days. This is a guy who helped bring many innovations in computing to the financial industry.

I'm too young to have rolled around in the mud at Woodstock, but I would have. The healthy counter-culture vibe, to which I mostly buy into, has kept me sane and with a sense of perspective while dealing with my own faceless corporate overlords.

Sitting here typing this as an IT manager with 30 people reporting to me, and also sitting here in my groovy Tye-Dye shirt purchased in New Paltz, NY 35 years ago. Just down the road a bit from Bethel.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

My late Uncle, head of a lot of things at a big Wall St firm was also there for all 3 days. This is a guy who helped bring many innovations in computing to the financial industry.

I'm too young to have rolled around in the mud at Woodstock, but I would have. The healthy counter-culture vibe, to which I mostly buy into, has kept me sane and with a sense of perspective while dealing with my own faceless corporate overlords.

Sitting here typing this as an IT manager with 30 people reporting to me, and also sitting here in my groovy Tye-Dye shirt purchased in New Paltz, NY 35 years ago. Just down the road a bit from Bethel.

...with a screen name like grep, I could tell you're in IT.

• Like 1

I think I was only at the town of Woodstock once but I went to school(college)at SUNY New Paltz(mid 90's) and lived there for about a year after I graduated. It had(and probably still has)a very hippy vibe to it. Down the road is a bit of a stretch though. Bethel is quite a ways from New Paltz (over an hour away). The town of Woodstock is much closer to NP.

I think I was only at the town of Woodstock once but I went to school(college)at SUNY New Paltz(mid 90's) and lived there for about a year after I graduated. It had(and probably still has)a very hippy vibe to it. Down the road is a bit of a stretch though. Bethel is quite a ways from New Paltz (over an hour away). The town of Woodstock is much closer to NP.

It does still have that hippy vibe to it. At least it did 3 years ago last time I was there.

• Like 1

The typical new paltz hippy:

Environmentally conscious

Against big corporations and the "malling" of the town

Vegan/health conscious

While also:

Smoking like a chimney (talking about cigarettes; the other stuff too of course)

Wearing 100 dollar birkenstocks and 30 dollar Bob Marley tie dye shirts.

Maybe it's just me but I saw some serious discrepancies in their belief systems.

New Paltz was nice. It was a like an alternative reality. I don't miss the spell of patchouli though.

• Like 1