Should Geddy have a MasterClass?

Three Eyes

Well, he's the best bassist for the job, but I don't necessarily dig those masterclasses. If you want to learn form the best, go to a good school with good professors. If you want to learn from your idols, do what they did and learn by watching and listening and reading. Great artists aren't always great teachers you know. If you want to learn anything artistic, learn how to make it your own at the end of the day.
  • Like 2

Go to a college to learn rock bass? I'm assuming Geddy doesn't know a great deal of theory but I bet he'd have some good knowledge to impart about playing the instrument. Theory is great if you want to become an accomplished jazz, fusion or classical player or a composer of film scores but I don't think there's a great need for it if you just want to play rock or even prog. I'm not against it and it couldn't hurt I suppose but there were no college programs for the rock and prog gods back in the day. I would say rock came to be what it is by musicians avoiding formal music education rather than embracing it.

I didn't read Entre's post to mean "college for bassists" (though that would be a cool thought) just the more general point that colleges are full of people who know a lot about given subjects, so if you want to know about that subject, go where the info is. But if you want to learn from your idols (like Geddy) then that's a more experience-based approach.

It would be hard to learn about chemistry by noodling around (and probably fatal), but an instrument probably requires it.

• Like 1

Great rock musicians play by feel more than anything. Theory just allows a greater continuation and expression of ideas for more complex songs.

Imagine if Angus and Malcolm learned jazz? Instead of AC/DC we'd have AB/CD...

:P

That's interesting. Their name matches the number of chords they use. But I like them as they are. I used to be more snobby about it but now I realize some bands shouldn't change their formula too much. Look what happened with New Coke.

Great rock musicians play by feel more than anything. Theory just allows a greater continuation and expression of ideas for more complex songs.

That's interesting. Their name matches the number of chords they use. But I like them as they are. I used to be more snobby about it but now I realize some bands shouldn't change their formula too much. Look what happened with New Coke.

I should have said their name would have been: Am/B#m7/Dmaj9/Csus4/bizarre scale..."For those about to kinda rock....!"

New Coke was great until I tried it :D

Great rock musicians play by feel more than anything. Theory just allows a greater continuation and exp<b></b>ression of ideas for more complex songs.

I should have said their name would have been: Am/B#m7/Dmaj9/Csus4/bizarre scale..."For those about to kinda rock....!"

New Coke turned out to be the best thing ever for the company. Pepsi was outselling them before new coke but after Coca-cola brought back Coca-cola classic, Coke has outsold Pepsi ever since.
  • Like 1

New Coke turned out to be the best thing ever for the company. Pepsi was outselling them before new coke but after Coca-cola brought back Coca-cola classic, Coke has outsold Pepsi ever since.

Well, hitting rock bottom helps....even a dead cat will bounce.

:)

I didn't read Entre's post to mean "college for bassists" (though that would be a cool thought) just the more general point that colleges are full of people who know a lot about given subjects, so if you want to know about that subject, go where the info is. But if you want to learn from your idols (like Geddy) then that's a more experience-based approach.

It would be hard to learn about chemistry by noodling around (and probably fatal), but an instrument probably requires it.

But why speak in generalities when the question was so specific? I'm talking about Geddy giving his insights into rock bass. I just discovered that MasterClass courses are 2 to 5 hours long and cost $90 for lifetime access. Seems about the right amount of time for the subject of rock bass and $90 isn't a deal breaker.

• Like 1