Was Rush the only band to be able to get away with using backing tracks/samples?

fraroc

I'd be perfectly fine with it if Rush ever toured again if Geddy were to lip sync, actually I'd prefer it.

No one likes to mention that, but it's true. Even with another drummer, there's the matter of his voice. Very few vocalists have retained the voice they once had in their youth.

• Like 2

Wasn't the controversy about the question of whether Paul Stanley is lip synching or not? I think all/most of us are OK with Rush sampling and using backing tracks because they were transparent about it, saying they wanted the songs for the fans to sound like the albums; and also because it was instruments/sound textures and there were only three guys.

That's different (to me, anyway) than it would be if they had Geddy out there on R30 or R40 singing away on Fly By Night and sounding exactly like the album; you know that his vocal range may not reach those notes anymore so it would seem tacky; they wouldn't do that to us anyway.

I'm not sure what to think about the Paul Stanley singing thing, I haven't looked into it enough. KISS never met publicity, good or negative, that they didn't like so it's all gravy to them. :LOL:

As much as I don't want to criticize my favorite bassist, I think that it can be chalked up to a little bit of laziness on Ged's part. Especially with the intro to Mission and the slap bass on Scars. But as I said before, if anyone has earned the right to be a little lazy, it's Geddy. I mean shit, he's already helped made Rush into one of the most popular progressive arena rock bands in the whole wide world by the early 80s.

Geddy was the least lazy of them all. He always wanted to do more. Someone always had to tell him to stop messing with the songs. He was known as being too meticulous and a tinkerer. All of that has been well documented from his own interviews and the other two guys.

• Like 1

The other thing is that the samples had to be triggered by the band so was a genuine performance as they had to get timing right and play their instruments...

which were done by all the members. They all have their duties in regards to this. Excuse me. they all "had" their duties

YO!!

Wuddup dawg? I answer to yo

I was just over in Cocke County about six weeks ago.

That's where all the pedophiles hang out. I'm not gonna ask why you were there though. Sure it was official "work" related business

Ming the Merciless!

(Hope you’ve been well Tomb!) :cheers:

• Like 1

Wasn't the controversy about the question of whether Paul Stanley is lip synching or not? I think all/most of us are OK with Rush sampling and using backing tracks because they were transparent about it, saying they wanted the songs for the fans to sound like the albums; and also because it was instruments/sound textures and there were only three guys.

That's different (to me, anyway) than it would be if they had Geddy out there on R30 or R40 singing away on Fly By Night and sounding exactly like the album; you know that his vocal range may not reach those notes anymore so it would seem tacky; they wouldn't do that to us anyway.

I'm not sure what to think about the Paul Stanley singing thing, I haven't looked into it enough. KISS never met publicity, good or negative, that they didn't like so it's all gravy to them. :LOL:

As much as I don't want to criticize my favorite bassist, I think that it can be chalked up to a little bit of laziness on Ged's part. Especially with the intro to Mission and the slap bass on Scars. But as I said before, if anyone has earned the right to be a little lazy, it's Geddy. I mean shit, he's already helped made Rush into one of the most popular progressive arena rock bands in the whole wide world by the early 80s.

Geddy was the least lazy of them all. He always wanted to do more. Someone always had to tell him to stop messing with the songs. He was known as being too meticulous and a tinkerer. All of that has been well documented from his own interviews and the other two guys.

Exactly, Ged is probably one of the hardest workers out of all the guys in Rush, which is why I think he earned the right to be a little lazy with the keyboards.

Geddy, Alex, and Neil weren't conceived as 'marine mammals' to have eight tentacles (meaning two legs and six arms) like an 'octopus' to pull off doing everything live themselves.

This is probably why The Beatles recorded 'Octopus's Garden' to believe the above could be achieved by a human being.

I've never heard that about Octopus' Garden. You may be on to something with that!

The other thing is that the samples had to be triggered by the band so was a genuine performance as they had to get timing right and play their instruments...

which were done by all the members. They all have their duties in regards to this. Excuse me. they all "had" their duties

YO!!

Wuddup dawg? I answer to yo

TM! Glad to see you surface!

I think to fill out some sound or make the parts that it would just be impossible to make like all the Dreamline vocal parts and such, I'm OK with.

I'd be delighted if I never heard that song again...ugh

To directly answer...NO...they didn't get away with anything.

I watched an old LVS version and Alex and Geddy were very busy recreating the exact sound of the album, even adding to the magic...Especially Alex playing the bass/Taurus pedals while playing the intro riff....Geddy is jamming away on the keyboard creating a netherworld of awesomeness...

Now?

Neil triggers the "Hemispheres'" chord during Far Cry.... :(

Alex should have stood tall and hammered that chord in guitar god fashion.

:P

edit: stupid fingers :D

Edited by Planet X-1
  • Like 1

Geddy hasn't and never will play slap bass!

Listen to Red Lenses from Hawaii 1984.

Exactly, Ged is probably one of the hardest workers out of all the guys in Rush, which is why I think he earned the right to be a little lazy with the keyboards.

Nobody in their right mind would consider Geddy to be lazy even though he had earned it.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I watched it in all the places where I'd expect Geddy to "go off". He did play some funky riffs, but I didn't see any slapping. Is there a specific place in the video I should look at?

I watched it in all the places where I'd expect Geddy to "go off". He did play some funky riffs, but I didn't see any slapping. Is there a specific place in the video I should look at?

Agreed

Red Lenses is indeed much funkiness, but there is no slap there.

he comes closer to it in The Big Money where he "pops" quite a bit but no slap there either.

• Like 1

Agreed

Red Lenses is indeed much funkiness, but there is no slap there.

he comes closer to it in The Big Money where he "pops" quite a bit but no slap there either.

Exactly, he does indeed pluck the strings from time to time but admits he can't slap!
  • Like 1