Your Ending Preference

Fordgalaxy

Musical endings  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What type of music ending do you like, if any?

• The song has a hard ending like Stick It Out
    • The song and singers slowly fade away like Gimme Three Steps
    • The last note seems to go on forever like Freewill

I've been tossing this around for a while and decided to finally just do it. What kind of song endings do you prefer? I'd guess most of us like happy endings, AMIRITE?!, but we're talking about songs here. Here's a few examples.

http://youtu.be/hhnBgoAL0xw?t=255

http://youtu.be/ZNnWEZeJqoc?t=265

http://youtu.be/OnxkfLe4G74?t=313

Edited by Fordgalaxy

I can't vote because I prefer every song to have its most fitting ending. I will say hard stops are overused these days whereas fadeouts and special closing passages (like in Limelight) seem forgotten. But it seems to me a song like Lightning Strikes by Judas Priest works really well in part because of its hard stop (especially on an album chocked-full of quick, complementary, but not vastly different, metal songs), whereas a song like Red Barchetta works best with a fade-out jam. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

It's a good question, but like Entre, I'm going to punt a bit. When I first read the question, I thought right away of one of my favorites, "The Big Money," and its sort of starting over to fade out -- I think that sounds so cool.

But some songs I can't imagine stopping any other way than they do -- "Achilles Last Stand" or PF's "High Hopes" have a kind of melancholy sense of fade, "Badge" just stops.

I can tell you there are some songs, like "It's Love" by King's X (a band I normally really like), that have what feel like false ends, but just go on and on and on. And that song isn't even that long!

I don't know where that leaves me. Fun to think about, though.

• Like 1

I don't have a preference. Whatever works for the song. But a fun thought experiment might be to imagine what some songs would sound like with different endings. For example, how would you end Hotel California with a hard stop, editing out the end solos? Or how about tacking another chorus onto the end of Freewill just to fade it out?

Jeeze, I guess only the cool kids don't vote. I voted extended note a la Freewill. But I suppose the correct response really is whatever fits the individual song. And since I originally clicked on this thread w/ out looking at which forum it was in, I thought it was about death. Grim as that is, how i'd like to go out, or something like that. So I guess I come out ahead on whatever I choose.
  • Like 1