The R40 Tour: Was Geddy the only member that was happy?

fraroc

Now, I think it's rather clear that Neil was going to check out after R40. As someone who has disliked touring since the synth era, it really is surprising that he held out for that long. But four years later looking at R40 footage on Youtube, you could clearly tell that Alex did NOT look happy. In fact, it seemed like the Alex that was goofing around onstage during the Clockwork Angels tour, doing funny things to make the audience laugh while playing was gone, and he just looked angry and pissed off, like someone who punches walls. And really, the only one I saw having a genuinely good time onstage was Geddy.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

I own the R40 video but I haven't watched it that much as it makes me sad somehow. I don't remember Alex being ANGRY angry on it, but maybe I am not remembering correctly. The times when we watched on Periscope he seemed to be in a good mood most of the time but not joking around a ton. Maybe you are reading frustration as anger? I'm sure he was frustrated by the way his arthritis has affected his playing. Also, wasn't one of the nights filmed for the DVD a Toronto night where they had a less than stellar night? He was probably frustrated by that as well. Just my own opinion, though.
  • Like 2

Well specifically, one of the clips I was talking about was Jacob's Ladder from Vegas. Neil was being normal stoic Neil so that's to be expected, but Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted expression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone. Meanwhile, Ged was the polar opposite, having fun, smiling...

• Like 1

Well specifically, one of the clips I was talking about was Jacob's Ladder from Vegas. Neil was being normal stoic Neil so that's to be expected, but Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted exp<b></b>ression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone. Meanwhile, Ged was the polar opposite, having fun, smiling...

Thanks, I will have to watch!

Well specifically, one of the clips I was talking about was Jacob's Ladder from Vegas. Neil was being normal stoic Neil so that's to be expected, but Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted expression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone. Meanwhile, Ged was the polar opposite, having fun, smiling...

They were in Vegas. Alex may have lost a bundle at the craps table..... :doh:

• Like 3

At the time, the band hadn't performed the song live in 35 years.

To me 'Jacob's Ladder' is dense, intense, and full of suspense.

The performer and observer will not always experience things in a similar way at that moment in time perhaps?

We know that Alex was playing while suffering from arthritis. He said at the time something to the effect of there were some good nights and some not so good nights.
  • Like 2

We know that Alex was playing while suffering from arthritis. He said at the time something to the effect of there were some good nights and some not so good nights.

yeah I think it was mostly this. Working through physical pain has me scowling all the time

• Like 2

Now, I think it's rather clear that Neil was going to check out after R40. As someone who has disliked touring since the synth era, it really is surprising that he held out for that long. But four years later looking at R40 footage on Youtube, you could clearly tell that Alex did NOT look happy. In fact, it seemed like the Alex that was goofing around onstage during the Clockwork Angels tour, doing funny things to make the audience laugh while playing was gone, and he just looked angry and pissed off, like someone who punches walls. And really, the only one I saw having a genuinely good time onstage was Geddy.

IMO you're reading too much into this. ALL of the band members have made polite statements that they all understand the tours are for financial enrichment of both themselves and the employees they hire to put the tour on. In the music business the almighty dollar is the ultimate decider about whether an act even tours anywhere, and then personal preferences of both artists and investors are considered.

If you read about the recent history of high earning musical acts, there's some serious friction that happens before major decisions are made. I'm not going to name drop but some of the funniest urban legends in rock music have to do with long running grudges and disagreements between performers and their management.

they got paid handsomely and traveled as comfortably as possible for a rock tour. Who cares if someone looked constipated on a given night.
  • Like 1

Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted expression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone.

Just looks like the standard hard-rocking grimace face that so many of us get when we're super into a song.

je4.jpg?1438290917

• Like 5

THAT was supposed to show how angry Lifeson was during that tour?! "Punch someone"?!

Yeah, you're reading too much into it.

Haven't you ever been so concentrated on something that you weren't smiling? Of course you've been there! We all have.

One of the most enjoyable things to me is playing racquetball and tennis. Without a doubt, I'm certain I'm not smiling much of the time playing either sport. But no way am I angry or would I like to punch anyone no matter what the corners of my mouth look like.

Come on, man. Think about it.

Wouldn't base any judgements on ONE gig during a tour. Alex could have just had a bad day.(though he seems to be the moody one when something goes wrong.)

That said I watched about 85 percent of the tour on periscope and saw 3 of those gigs myself and if took them about half of the tour to get in shape and they really didn't start humming until about two-thirds of the way through. At times it was painful for me to watch, Seems that both Alex and Neil went heavy on the extra curriculars and Geddy admitted being low key staying in his room and going above and beyond to protect his voice so he was the one who seemed to be sacrificing the most and yet he did seem to be the happiest, at least to me.

• Like 2

Wouldn't base any judgements on ONE gig during a tour. Alex could have just had a bad day.(though he seems to be the moody one when something goes wrong.)

That said I watched about 85 percent of the tour on periscope and saw 3 of those gigs myself and if took them about half of the tour to get in shape and they really didn't start humming until about two-thirds of the way through. At times it was painful for me to watch, Seems that both Alex and Neil went heavy on the extra curriculars and Geddy admitted being low key staying in his room and going above and beyond to protect his voice so he was the one who seemed to be sacrificing the most and yet he did seem to be the happiest, at least to me.

Well Geddy Lee likes what he does.

Also- I used to play a bunch of the riffs from Permanent Waves. They *feel* heavy to play...maybe Lifeson was just communicating his mindset through his expression. In the Rush concerts I've been to he always appeared gleeful.

& Nothing against Neil but he's been apparently "wishy washy" on touring since the late 1980s. NOT in any dramatic Axl Rose style that invites bad gossip. It's a thing that has been talked about.....

& Lastly not all of us look thrilled all day at work. If so people would get increasingly scared about why any given person would be smiling and laughing all day. In some cultures that's a sign of mental problems.

I would think if he was actually in loads of pain he would have been made lots of mistakes. Maybe he was a little hazy from pain meds for the arthritis which would arguably cause him to have to fiercely concentrate to get through the songs.
  • Like 4

THAT was supposed to show how angry Lifeson was during that tour?! "Punch someone"?!

Haven't you ever been so concentrated on something that you weren't smiling? Of course you've been there! We all have.

One of the most enjoyable things to me is playing racquetball and tennis. Without a doubt, I'm certain I'm not smiling much of the time playing either sport. But no way am I angry or would I like to punch anyone no matter what the corners of my mouth look like.

Mostly, I'm basing my comparison on that clip of Jacobs Ladder and the R40 DVD with the Clockwork Angels live DVD. It just seemed like his overall demeanor was a different, and as sad as it is to say, kinda seemed like he lost his enjoyment of playing live.

I know Alex doesn't smile 100% percent of the time, but he did a lot more on the CA tour than R40.

Edited by fraroc

Well specifically, one of the clips I was talking about was Jacob's Ladder from Vegas. Neil was being normal stoic Neil so that's to be expected, but Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted exp<b></b>ression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone. Meanwhile, Ged was the polar opposite, having fun, smiling...

Mostly, I'm basing my comparison on that clip of Jacobs Ladder and the R40 DVD with the Clockwork Angels live DVD. It just seemed like his overall demeanor was a different, and as sad as it is to say, kinda seemed like he lost his enjoyment of playing live.

I know Alex doesn't smile 100% percent of the time, but he did a lot more on the CA tour than R40.

I smiled more yesterday than two days ago. But two days ago was still a pretty good day.

I didn’t think about punching anyone on either day.

• Like 1

I definitely noticed a more serious, less jovial Alex when I saw them do their last show in LA on 8/1/15. I guess you could also float the theory that he was angry it was the last tour and he wasn't ready to end it but that doesn't hold much water.
  • Like 1

I definitely noticed a more serious, less jovial Alex when I saw them do their last show in LA on 8/1/15. I guess you could also float the theory that he was angry it was the last tour and he wasn't ready to end it but that doesn't hold much water.

Neil wrote something about how he had some kind of end of the road t-shirts printed up and passed them around. Alex got pissed off and threw his in the trash. Something like that.

So yeah, Lerxst wasn't happy.

• Like 2

http://www.neilpeart.net/index.php/space-for-news-items/september-2015-bubbagram-1/

Somewhere in those stories near the end of R40 is (or WAS) the bit about Alex being pissed off. Anyway, here's the t-shirt in question. From neilpeart.net

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/september_2015/horizon_back.jpg

• Like 1

Neil wrote something about how he had some kind of end of the road t-shirts printed up and passed them around. Alex got pissed off and threw his in the trash. Something like that.

So yeah, Lerxst wasn't happy.

I'd hate to say this, but sometimes it does seem that Alex (and to an extent Neil) felt some kind of resentment towards Ged as he's the one who really wanted this tour to just happen in the first place, let alone extend it (which never happened).

Its kind of sad to think about this, but any sort of tour extention could have meant the permanent end of their friendship.

Still don't understand how a judgement on an entire tour demeanor could be made on a single video clip.

• Like 4

It is a very dark and gloomy sounding song for the most part. It just wouldn't feel right if he had a huge smile on his face throughout the whole song.

http://www.neilpeart...15-bubbagram-1/

Somewhere in those stories near the end of R40 is (or WAS) the bit about Alex being pissed off. Anyway, here's the t-shirt in question. From neilpeart.net

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/september_2015/horizon_back.jpg

I never knew Neil did that. Guess he thought his comrades shared his sentiment about the band. I know Geddy was choked up at that last show. You could see the tension in his throat at the end of the final song. He looked to me as if he was trying to stop from choking up. How Alex felt about the band coming to an end I do not know, but I think Geddy took it the hardest. Just my two cents.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 7