Which drummer is...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Better?

• Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones)
    • Ringo Starr (The Beatles)
  2. 2. Your favorite?

• Charlie Watts
    • Ringo Starr

While Mooney and Moby Dick (Bonham that is) had the drumming profession up in a frenzy, Ringo and Charlie sat back and played some of the most enduring songs ever written. (No slight against The Who and Led Zeppelin)

Who's better? Who do you prefer?

I'm sure I'll be on the losing side again. I voted for Charlie. Truthfully, neither one ever really impressed me as a drummer, but I have heard that Ringo is excellent as one. I must listen to his drumming more closely.

I'm sure I'll be on the losing side again. I voted for Charlie. Truthfully, neither one ever really impressed me as a drummer, but I have heard that Ringo is excellent as one. I must listen to his drumming more closely.

To my ears, both of them are great, but not astounding in ay obvious way. I think many people who profess Ringo as a truly incredible drummer are exaggerating things a bit. He's very unique, and plays interesting parts, and is a Beatle (which does a lot of work for his reputation alone). However, at least some of the stories that float around about times Paul took over and played the kit, or they brought in an outside drummer for a part Ringo couldn't figure out, some of that is probably true. As far as his ability on the kit is concerned, he's not particularly skilled, but he plays good stuff nonetheless. Just tends to be simpler stuff. There are subtleties there worth investigating, but I think most of them stem from one of two things: 1. Ringo plays a right handed drum kit but he's left-handed, and 2. he was in The Beatles.

• Like 2

Just came back to say after listening to Gimme Shelter, I'm glad I voted for Charlie. :cheers:

His fills in that song are the opposite of Neil Peart, but hold so much weight in their simplicity I doubt even Neil would have them played differently.

• Like 2

This is a comment someone left under Emotional Rescue on youtube:

Charlie Watts brings this one HOME !!!! One of the GREATEST drummers of all TIME !!!!!! If you want to know how drums carry a song, Charlie shows in this one. IMPECCABLE!!!!!! The baseline IS impressive, BUT Charlie makes it WORK !!!

I wouldn't know. What do you think?

• Like 1

Charlie Watts brings this one HOME !!!! One of the GREATEST drummers of all TIME !!!!!! If you want to know how drums carry a song, Charlie shows in this one. IMPECCABLE!!!!!! The baseline IS impressive, BUT Charlie makes it WORK !!!

He keeps the thing from sinking under its own weight. A tight disco beat with sharp high hat cracks. I like the part where he speeds up at the end.

Impressive? No. Good? Yes, very. Much the same as Roger Taylor on Another One Bites The Dust.

• Like 2

Charlie does a good job on the song but the bass line and Mick's falsetto vocals are always what stood out to me the most.

• Like 1

Better ? Each drummer fits perfectly with their bands.

BUT

Hey, Charlie is still on the road playing two hour shows. I'm seeing The Stones two more times on 8/1 and 8/5.

I was at this show at the Beacon Theater 2006. I contacted the tour manager and he got me into the show at $35.00 a ticket.

http://youtu.be/MiswNgUYD4M

Edited by custom55

Phil Rudd is great also. All three are phenomenal drummers. Many think they are crap because they play so "simple" compared to Neil Peart and others. But they play exactly the way they need to in the bands they are in. Simple is not easy. Charlie Watts defines in the pocket.
  • Like 1

Let me tell you something.

Ringo's drumming on Abbey Road is actually really, really good. He has some really cool fills on Oh Darling. I love the structure of his part on Maxwell's Silver Hammer. And of course his playing on Come Together is both totally original and totally cool. That's gonna put him over Charlie for me, though Charlie's technically better.

• Like 2

Let me tell you something.

Ringo's drumming on Abbey Road is actually really, really good. He has some really cool fills on Oh Darling. I love the structure of his part on Maxwell's Silver Hammer. And of course his playing on Come Together is both totally original and totally cool. That's gonna put him over Charlie for me, though Charlie's technically better.

I’ve always loved his drumming on Yellow Submarine especially on the chorus,

• Like 1

I like Ringo, because he TAUGHT me COOL STUFF on how to play drums. I never learned anything of any great import from Charlie. He settled into the DISCO style too quickly for my tastes. Ringo was always into being more INTERESTING in his playing...

t1Qf8U0.gif

• Like 1