Grace Under Pressure tour

Saint NIck

Been in a 'grace's phase; listening to the CD in the work truck, and in awe of just how TREMENDOUS Geddy. Alex & Neil were back in '84. By that time, they were for sure master craftsmen musicians; and this tour video is of top notch performance. If they could only locate and, of course, release the whole show. What was still to come...from 1984.!
  • Like 2

My favorite album. I think it has it all. (Okay, maybe not "all" -- but a lot!)

It's too bad they were not so keen* on "Kid Gloves" or "The Enemy Within" -- those are great deep cuts.

(* based on how often they played them live, that is)

My favourite live recording, superbly produced by Broon, very well mixed with drums exceptional and vocals sat well upfront, without the frequency Mish mash of Ged's bass and Al's guitar fighting to see who can be the loudest!
  • Like 1

p/g tour was my first Rush show. The first of 28 @ MSG. My last show was also MSG, and I was in pretty much the same place in the arena for both shows.

While p/g isn't my favorite record, I do hold it in high regard. It sounds so 80's, so electronic, yet still sounds like Rush. I picked it up on release day, and played it repeatedly all day.... much like i did with Signals, my first release day album. Fell in love with BTW, Kid, Afterimage, and Body. Those songs are still in heavy rotation in my playlists.....

Easily my favorite Rush album cover. FBN, being my second fave.

Edited by grep

My favourite live recording, superbly produced by Broon,

Really? I didn’t know Terry Brown produced the live recording of GuP.

I had no idea either. Wikipedia shows credits for Rush, Terry Brown and Jon Erickson. Cool!

• Like 1

I had no idea either. Wikipedia shows credits for Rush, Terry Brown and Jon Erickson. Cool!

Don't know about Wikipedia, but those guys did produce the original audio for the video only. Alex and some other guy whose name escapes me at the moment produced the reissue.

Probably have said this before in other threads, but I like the original audio better than the reissue by a huge margin. Only way you can get that know is the original video or a transfer.

The ONLY thing that bugs me is the sound Alex's guitar on this tour. They are on fire though.

Alex changed his gear around this time resulting in a thinner,sparklier tone.Gone were the Marshal amps and (for the most part)Gibson guitars in favour of Fender style guitars and I think Gallien Krueger amps.But the whole band had changed gear,electric drums,Wal basses,haircuts,etc
  • Like 1

When I lived in Brampton/Bramalea, Ontario, I went to the "Grace Under Pressure Tour" in Toronto, at Maple Leaf Gardens, where it was my first time seeing Rush perform in concert in person, and my first concert. For my first time, and concert, I won't forget watching my favorite band, and group perform. How there was some 3-D in it, too. I've liked it a lot.
  • Like 2

When I lived in Brampton/Bramalea, Ontario, I went to the "Grace Under Pressure Tour" in Toronto, at Maple Leaf Gardens, where it was my first time seeing Rush perform in concert in person, and my first concert. For my first time, and concert, I won't forget watching my favorite band, and group perform. How there was some 3-D in it, too. I've liked it a lot.

My first Rush concert as well though far from my first ever concert. :codger:

• Like 2

Been in a 'grace's phase; listening to the CD in the work truck, and in awe of just how TREMENDOUS Geddy. Alex & Neil were back in '84. By that time, they were for sure master craftsmen musicians; and this tour video is of top notch performance. If they could only locate and, of course, release the whole show. What was still to come...from 1984.!

Thank the Universe I saw this Tour!! My first Rush show! Most of you know the story of what happened to me. Shoved up into the barrier under Geddy after "Tom Sawyer" started to play. Thought I was going to die.

Instead I was in Heaven on Earth!! I think it's fitting for me. My top two Rush shows out of 60 times are my first show and my last in 2015 at the LA Forum.

Kind of fitting that I had third row way over by Alex but then with about 7 songs left I snuck up to the front row! A perfect ending to a Legacy. RUSH! No band on the planet will ever come close to them.

• Like 2

Front row at a Rush show was a bucket list item I got to cross off toward the latter days of CA tour in Hershey, PA. But I saw the GUP show at MSG and later in the tour in NJ. I was also at the opening show at the Radio City run they did, when they debuted Red Sector A and one other song off GUP, probably Distant Early Warning. First floor seats ever. Ran up front and watched in the aisle for a short bit during those to see better—Neil had no rotating riser yet, so he was just playing facing away from the audience on the simmons kit he was using back then. I had also just recently discovered the devil’s weed at the time, making the hour drive home seem like several hours. Fun. Times. Edited by HalfwayToGone

Neil had no rotating riser yet, so he was just playing facing away from the audience on the simmons kit he was using back then.

He definitely had a rotating riser of sorts on that tour. Maybe Larry got it stuck that night...

Alex changed his gear around this time resulting in a thinner,sparklier tone.Gone were the Marshal amps and (for the most part)Gibson guitars in favour of Fender style guitars and I think Gallien Krueger amps.But the whole band had changed gear,electric drums,Wal basses,haircuts,etc

Geddy played Steinberger basses on the p/g tour and record!
  • Like 1