Todd Sucherman - Styx drummer

Laurabw

Gonna go with the minority opinion on here I think...but watching some clips of him with Styx (only because I've seen instructional/interview things with him and thought he was a really cool guy), I come away feeling like there's a guy with more chops than taste.

I like busy drummers (I mean, come on, we're on a Rush forum!), but there's a type of busy that annoys me...and he kinda has it. It seems like overplaying to me - doing flashy busy (and very technically impressive) things where they draw focus away from the song itself. I am not a Styx fan AT ALL...but I grew up hearing them, and so I know the original tunes. I feel like there are a few "classic rock" bands who hire shit hot ringer drummers for their tours, and it always kinda sounds like they need to prove that they are on a different plane of skill than the original member. Even one of my fave drummers of all time, Simon Phillips, is guilty of this (in my opinion of course) with his playing in Toto (another band I really don't like!)

The drumming in Rush is very busy...but it is intrinsic to the compositions themselves. When I hear some guy play double bass triplets or whatever in a pop song where the original had a "1 2 3 4" run down the toms type fill...it rubs me the wrong way. To each their own of course.... and I wouldn't for a second say he is anything other than stellar...but it's wanky to me.

I think it's the complexity of his parts that make Styx's new music more believable as "serious prog" (whatever that means) and less prone to the poppy, lightweight tendencies of their heyday which caused many "serious prog" fans not to take them... seriously. For me he adds some necessary meat and detail to the band which had always been lacking. that's not to say I don't love their classic stuff. I think those songs work so well specifically because they go for pomp and accessibility over flashiness. But in this new era of Styx they're able to take on compositions they never could've pulled off in the 70s or 80s without sounding naive, and I give Todd a lot of credit for that (as well as Lawrence, who seems to have a hint more of Emerson, Wakeman, or Rudess in his parts than DeYoung ever did).

• Like 2

Gonna go with the minority opinion on here I think...but watching some clips of him with Styx (only because I've seen instructional/interview things with him and thought he was a really cool guy), I come away feeling like there's a guy with more chops than taste.

I like busy drummers (I mean, come on, we're on a Rush forum!), but there's a type of busy that annoys me...and he kinda has it. It seems like overplaying to me - doing flashy busy (and very technically impressive) things where they draw focus away from the song itself. I am not a Styx fan AT ALL...but I grew up hearing them, and so I know the original tunes. I feel like there are a few "classic rock" bands who hire shit hot ringer drummers for their tours, and it always kinda sounds like they need to prove that they are on a different plane of skill than the original member. Even one of my fave drummers of all time, Simon Phillips, is guilty of this (in my opinion of course) with his playing in Toto (another band I really don't like!)

The drumming in Rush is very busy...but it is intrinsic to the compositions themselves. When I hear some guy play double bass triplets or whatever in a pop song where the original had a "1 2 3 4" run down the toms type fill...it rubs me the wrong way. To each their own of course.... and I wouldn't for a second say he is anything other than stellar...but it's wanky to me.

I think it's the complexity of his parts that make Styx's new music more believable as "serious prog" (whatever that means) and less prone to the poppy, lightweight tendencies of their heyday which caused many "serious prog" fans not to take them... seriously. For me he adds some necessary meat and detail to the band which had always been lacking. that's not to say I don't love their classic stuff. I think those songs work so well specifically because they go for pomp and accessibility over flashiness. But in this new era of Styx they're able to take on compositions they never could've pulled off in the 70s or 80s without sounding naive, and I give Todd a lot of credit for that (as well as Lawrence, who seems to have a hint more of Emerson, Wakeman, or Rudess in his parts than DeYoung ever did).

In the early to mid 70s, John Panozzo did a very fine job as a prog drummer, he's definitely got quite a few standout tracks, but Todd takes that and brings it to a whole 'nother level. Apparent by the several Best Rock Drummer nominations and Best Live Drummer nominations, among others, even winning a couple. I agree with Todd having a big part in the re-birth of Styx prog, and being able to do stuff now that they wouldn't have done then, to an even higher degree with the amazing drumming.

I also agree with Lawrence having a big part in that as well. I believe he once said something like "Back in the 70s, I was the most gigantic Yes fan, would always sing along with Close to the Edge and Tales." (and a decade later Jon Anderson would have a guest feature on one of his hits). So, he definitely picked up lots of his inspiration from Wakeman, and probably Emerson, Banks, among others.

• Like 2

In the early to mid 70s, John Panozzo did a very fine job as a prog drummer, he's definitely got quite a few standout tracks, but Todd takes that and brings it to a whole 'nother level. Apparent by the several Best Rock Drummer nominations and Best Live Drummer nominations, among others, even winning a couple. I agree with Todd having a big part in the re-birth of Styx prog, and being able to do stuff now that they wouldn't have done then, to an even higher degree with the amazing drumming.

I also agree with Lawrence having a big part in that as well. I believe he once said something like "Back in the 70s, I was the most gigantic Yes fan, would always sing along with Close to the Edge and Tales." (and a decade later Jon Anderson would have a guest feature on one of his hits). So, he definitely picked up lots of his inspiration from Wakeman, and probably Emerson, Banks, among others.

I have to be honest and say that I had no idea that Styx was continuing to make music. If Todd Sucherman is a part of that creative process, then really some of what I said does not apply. I still react the same way to his playing, and find it very showy, but if he is intrinsic to the sound of the band on their newer material, then I suppose it's his prerogative to make the overall show more cohesive by putting his stamp on the classics.

• Like 2

Totally. And nothing against John Panozzo. He was one of those perfect "suit the song" drummers in my opinion, and he could keep up with Dennis at his most ambitious, JY at his heaviest, and Tommy at his most fun. But stuff like Red Storm really benefits from Todd's busier approach.

• Like 1

Totally. And nothing against John Panozzo. He was one of those perfect "suit the song" drummers in my opinion, and he could keep up with Dennis at his most ambitious, JY at his heaviest, and Tommy at his most fun. But stuff like Red Storm really benefits from Todd's busier approach.

I really like Brave New World, but that album is elevated even more with Todd's presence, like the cherry on top. Even more so with Cyclorama (I love One With Everything more and more with each listen). And after 2 decades in the band, him on The Mission is probably his best work, with songs like Red Storm, Radio Silence, The Outpost.

It's ironic how Todd's only solo album doesn't feature a whole lotta drumming, or fast paced songs

I really like Brave New World, but that album is elevated even more with Todd's presence, like the cherry on top. Even more so with Cyclorama (I love One With Everything more and more with each listen). And after 2 decades in the band, him on The Mission is probably his best work, with songs like Red Storm, Radio Silence, The Outpost.

It's ironic how Todd's only solo album doesn't feature a whole lotta drumming, or fast paced songs

I still haven't delved into the interim between Tommy's exit and Mission To Mars. I suppose I should some day. Which of those in between albums is the best?

I still haven't delved into the interim between Tommy's exit and Mission To Mars. I suppose I should some day. Which of those in between albums is the best?

In my opinion, Cyclorama. That album's always been special to me, everyone just seems to shine, as is with the recent albums as well. Only Styx album with 4 lead vocalists (5 if you count Billy Bob Thornton). Also, being the first album with Larry instead of DDY, as well as having Glen Burtnik (Tommy's replacement on Edge Of The Century) come back filling in for Chuck on bass, that may be a red flag for some fans, but don't let that fool you.

Also Return To Paradise is a great live album, the studio tracks on it as well. Definitely recommend that. (and thats coming from me, a guy whos not the biggest fan of live albums).

• Like 1