Presto: Rush's most awkward era

fraroc

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

"Presto" is a masterpiece. Every song is great. Neil's drumming is off the charts. A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

afe12d7f97f28f10c7fac60304fc9c4a.jpg?dd=1388552400

• Like 2

"Presto" is one of the greatest albums on the Earth.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

So cliche and yet so true.

Melodic and slick production. Some of Neil's best lyrics.

Keep smoking that crack rock kids!

"Anagram (For Mongo)" is a masterpiece. Nice homage to "Blazing Saddles!" Hello????????

The record is amazing. Love the keyboards. Even the keys in "Red Tide." So melodic.

I guess you so called Rush Fans don't like melody in your music.

Enjoy "Vapor Trails." then. Pure shite.

#SAFE

JMO!

The only way I enjoy Presto is with my Vape Pen!

Sincerely,

Huff and Puff Magic Hour

Good one!

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

"Presto" is a masterpiece. Every song is great. Neil's drumming is off the charts. A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

afe12d7f97f28f10c7fac60304fc9c4a.jpg?dd=1388552400

Lol!! Good point!

Where did you see that? Alex & Geddy are both on record (no pun intended lol) not happy with CP. I believe its mentioned in a couple of the Martin Popoff books. Alex didn't like some of the lyrics while Geddy complained "there were too many compromises" while making it plus he and Alex had a lot of fights during, probably over how and where to use keyboards in the songs. Not sure what Neil thought about it.

Page 170 of Contents Under Pressure by Martin Popoff here.

• Like 2

f***ing awesome song and amazing video.

Which is special because Rush rarely makes a good video:

The Pass:

https://vimeo.com/142775642/comments

And WTF. Why can’t you find the official video on YouTube????

It's right below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyXOOZHcvE

A masterpiece.

I saw the "Presto" Tour four times. Geddy would always say how much they all loved this song.

"Christ what have you done?"

Amazing!

• Like 2

"Presto" and "awkward" should not be in the same sentence, but what a great thread.

"Presto" is perfect for me, but I guess it was lacking some bass. Even though I'm a drummer I am a treble guy so I guess I just didn't give a shit.

So "Presto" is Metallica's "And Justice For All?"

• Like 1

"Presto" and "awkward" should not be in the same sentence, but what a great thread.

"Presto" is perfect for me, but I guess it was lacking some bass. Even though I'm a drummer I am a treble guy so I guess I just didn't give a shit.

And Presto for All

• Like 2

I can’t remember anything

Can’t tell if this is true or dream

Deep down inside I feel to scream

This terrible silence stops me

I radiate more heat than light

I think Neil’s physical pain was brought upon himself by all the endless motorcycle riding in between gigs for the last 20 years of touring. That takes a toll on the body believe it or not. It’s a double edged sword, it took a toll on his body, but if Neil wasn’t able to ride his bike between gigs then he probably wouldn’t have toured. He seemed to just use the Rush tours in recent years as an excuse to just explore roads in North America.

Bottom line. He retired because IMO, he lost the fire for drumming. He had a new family and wants to be part of it. Nothing wrong with that and I can’t fault the guy.

Who knows, maybe if it’s true that his daughter is taking up drumming that mate she’ll inspire him to get that fire back and maybe do something. But I doubt that’ll be touring .

• Like 1

Who knows, maybe if it’s true that his daughter is taking up drumming that mate she’ll inspire him to get that fire back and maybe do something. But I doubt that’ll be touring .

Oh, I think at four years removed from it (and he’ll be 67 years old next month, btw), I don’t think he’s going to get the fire back in him to start playing again.

But that’s interesting his daughter is taking it up, I didn’t know that.

But anyway, about Presto...

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say it’s a matter of better or worse, but Freddie definitely refined his drumming, introduced some different technique, and sent it in a direction that it had not gone before.

And I am a musician. But I don’t think that necessarily qualifies my opinion any more than a non-musician.

I'll just say this: the man who played drums on 2112 didn't need lessons from ANYONE!

I understand where you’re coming from...BUT- I would say that Neil was definitely not the same person that he was in 1994-‘95, compared to 1976 (could anyone be, really? I am definitely not the same person that I was nearly 20 years ago. But I digress).

Neil sought out Freddie Gruber because of something he wanted to change, to advance, in his skills. Whether the fans are happy with the results of that are a completely moot point. Neil changed direction because he wanted to. And I can only surmise that he was happy with the results he got. And as far as I can tell, that’s really all that matters.

• Like 1

I think Presto is a great album, though I didn't think so at the time it was released. I thought it was just ok. I saw them for the first time on that tour and just remember being really disappointed that they didn't play "Presto". Afterwards, I wondered if the guitar technology of the time didn't allow for the quick acoustic to electric sound changes needed to play it. I was overjoyed when I heard they were playing it on the "Time Machine" tour.

As far as Neil's style change, I'm assuming that this was his way of streamlining his part in the recording process by switching over to a more improvisational technique. Kind of the way they decided after hemispheres that they needed to cut back on the overly complex stuff to maintain their sanity in the studio.

I really wanted to hear Chain Lightning Presto and Available Light. At least we got Presto 21 years later.

I liked Presto when it came out, but I was really preoccupied with Dream Theater in the months before Presto came out.

Interesting. You were a fan when When Dream and Day Unite was new? Did you see them live at the time?

I rate this record as the worst RUSH album of all.

Solid middle of the pack for me.

RTB on the other hand...

The thin, plastic production on Presto is even thinner than Roll the Bones and the bad tracks on Presto are really bad.

RTB on the other hand...

The thin, plastic production on Presto is even thinner than Roll the Bones and the bad tracks on Presto are really bad.

The production fits the slick, quirky pop tunes that make up Presto. It doesn't do any service to the driving rock, light funk, and ballideering of RTB.

• Like 1

RTB on the other hand...

The production fits the slick, quirky pop tunes that make up Presto. It doesn't do any service to the driving rock, light funk, and ballideering of RTB.

Well I've still got Presto rock bottom in my RUSH rankings.

Re-listened this album for first time In a while, and I never realized how much I loved it. I like every song except for "The Pass" (the beginning riff is cool though)

I think RTB was more Awkward than Presto, just because they were experimenting with other styles, and some didn't rub off too well on most of the Rush fan-base. (Title track rap portion, YBYL, some are against Neurotica) I like all 3 of those by the way, no hate for RTB on my end (although Face Up gets a little annoying to me)

I think Presto is a great album, though I didn't think so at the time it was released. I thought it was just ok. I saw them for the first time on that tour and just remember being really disappointed that they didn't play "Presto". Afterwards, I wondered if the guitar technology of the time didn't allow for the quick acoustic to electric sound changes needed to play it. I was overjoyed when I heard they were playing it on the "Time Machine" tour.

As far as Neil's style change, I'm assuming that this was his way of streamlining his part in the recording process by switching over to a more improvisational technique. Kind of the way they decided after hemispheres that they needed to cut back on the overly complex stuff to maintain their sanity in the studio.

I really wanted to hear Chain Lightning Presto and Available Light. At least we got Presto 21 years later.

I liked Presto when it came out, but I was really preoccupied with Dream Theater in the months before Presto came out.

Interesting. You were a fan when When Dream and Day Unite was new? Did you see them live at the time?

Yup. 11/14/89. They opened for Marillion. Had no idea. Saw the marquee as I turned the corner. Discovered the album in June of that year. All I had was the album. No news at all. Totally floored I got to see them live. Completely unplanned. Wanted to see them live anyway but couldn't find any news. Turns out the record label folded right after the album came out and torpedoed the tour. What a night.

Presto was how I discovered Rush so it will always sound great to me.

Thirty years on, it really does hold up, in ways that their other albums and songs have not. (Lookin at you, prog era.)

• Like 2