Presto: Rush's most awkward era

fraroc

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

Agree.

But I would add - No Rush album is a complete success, either. Some are 90% of the way there (MP, PW, Hemispheres maybe). Rush have never been about perfection, they work hard and write good stuff but they don't mind taking risks either which is why I've enjoyed and respected them.

So when I weigh the value of an album, I simply take a percent of the total tracks I truly enjoy as my 'grade'. There's actually no album from them that I like every single song. Generally, I don't know of many albums by any artist where I can say I truly enjoy the entire thing. Perhaps this would be a good topic for Music of the Spheres.

I disagree about “Rush have never been about perfection”. They had always been about perfection.

Perfection is the reason they were so anal about making the concerts sound as close to the albums as possible.

It’s the reason they had rehearsals BEFORE the rehearsals for tours. That’s been well documented.

It’s the reason they worked liked slaves on Hemispheres.

It’s also a big reason why they’re not making music anymore - Peart knew he couldn’t play as perfectly (or near perfect) as in times past. There’s some quote of his in which he states this exact thing. [edited to add: OR maybe Geddy said that about Neil. Now I can’t remember who said it but Neil or Geddy did.]

Of course, perfect is in the ear of the beholder but there’s no doubt that Rush were always TRYING to reach perfection.

They took waaay too many risks as musicians to say they were trying to be perfect. They've said themselves that they work very hard but have often written songs at the edge of their ability. Someone trying to be 'perfect' would play it much safer.

Pushing the envelop is always about making mistakes. IMO the mistakes in Rush's music isn't in their playing, it's usually in their composition and lyric choices. The phases the band have gone through alienated fans. In the eyes of the fans it alienated, they were far from perfect. What level of 'perfection' are we imposing on them? Is it purely technical? Are not the writing decisions behind the music part of the measure they should meet? Not flubbing notes is far from being a complete and accurate measure.

Trying something different doesn’t mean you still wouldn’t try to reach perfection. Geddy himself has said they’re “hyperactive”. He continued to say that they were never satisfied with what they did soooo they tried new things on the albums that followed.

Even the mistakes you’re talking about aren’t actual mistakes imho. Peart writing a lyric that I don’t enjoy isn’t a mistake on his part. It’s a lack of preference on mine. Same thing for when Lee & Lifeson wrote some composition I wasn’t excited about.

Nothing else to add other than your definitions of “perfection” and “mistake” seem different than mine. And that’s fine.

Nothing else to add other than your definitions of “perfection” and “mistake” seem different than mine. And that’s fine.

Thank you for permitting me, and other humans you share the planet, that.

Even the mistakes you’re talking about aren’t actual mistakes imho. Peart writing a lyric that I don’t enjoy isn’t a mistake on his part. It’s a lack of preference on mine. Same thing for when Lee & Lifeson wrote some composition I wasn’t excited about.

By your definition, there are no shitty melodies or lyrics then. Just poor taste on the part of the listener. Gotcha. ;)

Edited by stoopid

You really got the wrong idea with my sentences there.

By your definition, there are no shitty melodies or lyrics then. Just poor taste on the part of the listener. Gotcha. ;)

That's what drives me crazy about "Vapor Trails."

When it came out I played it a thousand times.

Yet I never could love it. Melody is essential for my ears and a lot of "Vapor Trails" I just can't get. Perhaps it's they way I'm wired.

I can't listen to "Vapor Trails" in 2019. Oh and I've tried.

"Test For Echo" is Neil's worst lyrical attempt, but musically I love the record.

• Like 1

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

Agree.

But I would add - No Rush album is a complete success, either. Some are 90% of the way there (MP, PW, Hemispheres maybe). Rush have never been about perfection, they work hard and write good stuff but they don't mind taking risks either which is why I've enjoyed and respected them.

So when I weigh the value of an album, I simply take a percent of the total tracks I truly enjoy as my 'grade'. There's actually no album from them that I like every single song. Generally, I don't know of many albums by any artist where I can say I truly enjoy the entire thing. Perhaps this would be a good topic for Music of the Spheres.

"Hemispheres" is a perfect album to my ears and mind.

I love every Rush song ever made up to "Counterparts."

It is what it is.

My music teacher disliked "Presto"- he always preferred the "occult" style Rush albums.

IMO the albums are reflections of the times and a collective expression of the band's creative thoughts.

That is a very interesting statement. 'Occult" style Rush albums. So I would assume "Fly By Night," "Caress Of Steel, "2112" I'm "rushhead666 for a reason. My parents forced me to go to a Christian summer camp in the Santa Cruz mountains when I was a freshman in high school.

It was a horrible experience.

But then something sparked my young mind.

They were doing a "Satanic Album Cover Slide Show" at 3 pm in the afternoon at the rec hall.

So of course even then I was a Rush Freak and into Ozzy, Maiden and all of that killer heavy metal!

So I sat through the slide show and my jaw dropped.

I was already revolting against Christianity because my parents took me out of my public high school with all of my friends and threw me into a Christian High School.

Now here I was. A little Rush nerd in some fuckking cult Christian Camp.

I remember the slide show like it was yesterday.

They showed

1. "Hotel California" The front cover shows Anton in the lower corner window. Also above inside the gatefold cover with Satanic arms spread open.

2. "Blizzard Of Oz" Of course the cover looked evil. I didn't care!

3. "Caress Of Steel" The front cover with the triangle held by some oracle. I didn't understand that one even then.

4. "Led Zep IV" They showed the inner gatefold with the oracle holding the lamp.

5. "Number Of The Beast" Of course!

6. Stevie Nicks "Bella Donna" album. Said that she was a white witch and the white flowers on the cover were poisonous.

7. "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" Said all of the flowers were also poisonous and hinted at Satanism.

8. "Satan's Majesty" The Rolling Stones Said that the Stones were trying to compete with Sgt Peppers so they did a black magic record too.

9. The best for last. They showed the "2112" album cover. They stated that Rush was another Satanic band because the red star on the album cover represented a pentagram. Even then at my young age I fuckking freaked out. I should have challenged those idiots back then but believe it our not back then I was an introvert. But I knew that the Red Star is an open star, not some fuckking pentagram, I was so pissed. I told my camp counselor after the slide show that there is no way RUSH is a satanic group. He turned to me and said, "well Earl. 2 plus 1 plus 1 plus 2 equals 6! THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST!!

I just shook my head and took off.

What a bunch of bullshit.

So back to the "occult" statement. Hmmmmmmm

So not sure about that at all.

I guess "Witch Hunt" relates to that term???

It is what it is!

Satanically Yours,

Ruling Under Satan's Hands

PS

If you look at the STARMAN you can see the profile of the DEVIL in the left side of his back!!! CREEPY AS FUKKKKK!

Some on here can't see it. It's as broad as daylight on a crystal clear Lake Tahoe day! LOL!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Superconductor and Hand Over Fist are fairly cringe worthy lyrically. I remember hearing Superconductor for the first time decades ago, thinking then "that's a rocking tune in need of some lyrics that don't suck".

Rush's catalog is littered with examples like this, from just about every album. But hey, at least they tried to jam that square peg into the triangular hole.

• Like 1

"PRESTO" is a TEN!

But 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 is the sign of the Asimov!

OMG!!!

I love Asimov!

Dude! I majored in English! I went to St. Mary's College in Moraga. I had to take something called a "Jan Term." Which is just a one month course.

I took a Sci Fi Psychology class. It was amazing!!! I studied some Asimov and lots of other great sci fi writers. Burgess is my favorite. "A Clockwork Orange" of course!!

When you typed 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 I instantly thought of "The Body Electric" and 73.

You are not "stoopid" my friend! You are SMART!

Superconductor and Hand Over Fist are fairly cringe worthy lyrically. I remember hearing Superconductor for the first time decades ago, thinking then "that's a rocking tune in need of some lyrics that don't suck".

Rush's catalog is littered with examples like this, from just about every album. But hey, at least they tried to jam that square peg into the triangular hole.

OMG!

I think I might be totally biased as a crazy ass drummer obsessed with playing to Neil Peart drum tracks.

I am totally wired waaaaaaaaay differently. I think?

True confession:

I rarely pay attention to the lyrics of a Rush song. I mean I've studied them and know them but when I listen to RUSH by brain just listens to the music.

So in my drumming brain, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE playing along to all of "Presto."

I love the cowbell at the beginning of "Superconductor." Great riff too. So maybe Rush fans don't care for the lyrics.

I tune them out and listen to the notes.

"Hand Over Fist" is such a fun one to play to on the drums.

Oh man.

Thanks stoopid! Going to have to play "Presto" tomorrow night!

"Available Light?" One of the greatest songs ever made.

• Like 1

OMG!

I think I might be totally biased as a crazy ass drummer obsessed with playing to Neil Peart drum tracks.

True confession:

I rarely pay attention to the lyrics of a Rush song. I mean I've studied them and know them but when I listen to RUSH by brain just listens to the music.

So in my drumming brain, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE playing along to all of "Presto."

I love the cowbell at the beginning of "Superconductor." Great riff too. So maybe Rush fans don't care for the lyrics.

I tune them out and listen to the notes.

"Hand Over Fist" is such a fun one to play to on the drums.

Oh man.

Thanks stoopid! Going to have to play "Presto" tomorrow night!

"Available Light?" One of the greatest songs ever made.

I love Presto, especially love Available Light!

I have to be in a particular mood to dig Superconductor.

But as a drummer and a Rush lover...yeah, I freakin’ love the Presto album.

My music teacher disliked "Presto"- he always preferred the "occult" style Rush albums.

IMO the albums are reflections of the times and a collective expression of the band's creative thoughts.

That is a very interesting statement. 'Occult" style Rush albums. So I would assume "Fly By Night," "Caress Of Steel, "2112" I'm "rushhead666 for a reason. My parents forced me to go to a Christian summer camp in the Santa Cruz mountains when I was a freshman in high school.

They were doing a "Satanic Album Cover Slide Show" at 3 pm in the afternoon at the rec hall.

So of course even then I was a Rush Freak and into Ozzy, Maiden and all of that killer heavy metal!

I was already revolting against Christianity because my parents took me out of my public high school with all of my friends and threw me into a Christian High School.

They showed

1. "Hotel California" The front cover shows Anton in the lower corner window. Also above inside the gatefold cover with Satanic arms spread open.

3. "Caress Of Steel" The front cover with the triangle held by some oracle. I didn't understand that one even then.

4. "Led Zep IV" They showed the inner gatefold with the oracle holding the lamp.

6. Stevie Nicks "Bella Donna" album. Said that she was a white witch and the white flowers on the cover were poisonous.

7. "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" Said all of the flowers were also poisonous and hinted at Satanism.

8. "Satan's Majesty" The Rolling Stones Said that the Stones were trying to compete with Sgt Peppers so they did a black magic record too.

9. The best for last. They showed the "2112" album cover. They stated that Rush was another Satanic band because the red star on the album cover represented a pentagram. Even then at my young age I fuckking freaked out. I should have challenged those idiots back then but believe it our not back then I was an introvert. But I knew that the Red Star is an open star, not some fuckking pentagram, I was so pissed. I told my camp counselor after the slide show that there is no way RUSH is a satanic group. He turned to me and said, "well Earl. 2 plus 1 plus 1 plus 2 equals 6! THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST!!

It is what it is!

Satanically Yours,

PS

If you look at the STARMAN you can see the profile of the DEVIL in the left side of his back!!! CREEPY AS FUKKKKK!

Some on here can't see it. It's as broad as daylight on a crystal clear Lake Tahoe day! LOL!!!!!!!

Awesome story.

• Like 2

"PRESTO" is a TEN!

But 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 is the sign of the Asimov!

OMG!!!

I love Asimov!

Dude! I majored in English! I went to St. Mary's College in Moraga. I had to take something called a "Jan Term." Which is just a one month course.

I took a Sci Fi Psychology class. It was amazing!!! I studied some Asimov and lots of other great sci fi writers. Burgess is my favorite. "A Clockwork Orange" of course!!

When you typed 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 I instantly thought of "The Body Electric" and 73.

In my 20s I read the Robot and Foundation series. He wasn't a very descriptive writer, but he was tops conceptually and wrote some (as I recall) interesting philosophically heady works.

Like you I studied English Lit in college, even got to read some sci-fi for a few courses, but have long since abandoned my studies and now mostly do outdoors stuff and occasionally music.

I consider Brave New World one of the best sci-fi novels, and I don't think enough people consider it sci-fi perhaps because of the genre's stigma. Better to call it a philosophical thriller or whatever. :P

True confession:

There in lies part of the problem with this thread and some of the responses -- and a problem with many Rush fans (and fans of prog in general) -- they're (mostly) only into the MUSIC. I mean, how many of us have seriously stopped and read the lyrics for every Yes or King Crimson song? Some of Jon Anderson's lyrics are pretty far out there. lol

But with Rush, the lyrics and the ideology the band fostered over the years are an integral part of what defines them. Unlike bands that sing love song variant #2,403,623 or post-acid psychedelic train of thought, Rush (Peart) deliberately put the lyrics front and center, crafting some of the best (and arguably worse) prog/hard rock lyrics ever. There's true meaning and relevance to what is being sung.

There's a degree of disingenuousness when we praise a song like Subdivisions for its brilliant portrayal of teenage angst, then critically glaze over songs like ... I guess Superconductor would qualify, as would Neurotica, Dog Years, etc. We don't apply the same critical measure to their failings as we do their successes. Which, btw, is the very definition of a "fan boy" (or "fan girl"). And on that note -- how well has Virtuality aged? Net boy, net girl was corny the first time I heard that song on release day in 1996(?). It's seriously lame now. ;)

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

True confession:

There in lies part of the problem with this thread and some of the responses -- and a problem with many Rush fans (and fans of prog in general) -- they're (mostly) only into the MUSIC. I mean, how many of us have seriously stopped and read the lyrics for every Yes or King Crimson song? Some of Jon Anderson's lyrics are pretty far out there. lol

But with Rush, the lyrics and the ideology the band fostered over the years are an integral part of what defines them. Unlike bands that sing love song variant #2,403,623 or post-acid psychedelic train of thought, Rush (Peart) deliberately put the lyrics front and center, crafting some of the best (and arguably worse) prog/hard rock lyrics ever. There's true meaning and relevance to what is being sung.

There's a degree of disingenuousness when we praise a song like Subdivisions for its brilliant portrayal of teenage angst, then critically glaze over songs like ... I guess Superconductor would qualify, as would Neurotica, Dog Years, etc. We don't apply the same critical measure to their failings as we do their successes. Which, btw, is the very definition of a "fan boy" (or "fan girl"). And on that note -- how well has Virtuality aged? Net boy, net girl was corny the first time I heard that song on release day in 1996(?). It's seriously lame now. ;)

Only the terminology of Virtuality is dated but the sentiment remains true.

True confession:

“Net non-binary, non gender, non descriptive pronoun,

Net non-binary, non gender non descriptive pronoun...”

• Like 4

They showed

It is what it is!

Satanically Yours,

PS

Awesome story.

Thanks 1973!

They showed

It is what it is!

Satanically Yours,

PS

Another quick factoid. Thanks to that camp experience back then in 1982 I rebelled against organized religion and I became a rock and roll addict. Luckily my parents were cool with my music passion and then of course falling in love with the drums too.

So that's the reason I came up with my screen name, "Rushhead666." It's a homage to that fateful day when I sat through that slide show in disbelief.

Everyone was praising Jesus Christ, and all I wanted to do was listen to "2112."

• Like 2

True confession:

“Net non-binary, non gender, non descriptive pronoun,

Net non-binary, non gender non descriptive pronoun...”

lol.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say it’s a matter of better or worse, but Freddie definitely refined his drumming, introduced some different technique, and sent it in a direction that it had not gone before.

And I am a musician. But I don’t think that necessarily qualifies my opinion any more than a non-musician.

I'll just say this: the man who played drums on 2112 didn't need lessons from ANYONE!

They showed

It is what it is!

Satanically Yours,

PS

Earl, we may've had the same seminar. With, and on that, I remember seeing, and hearing another church pastor, and or a minister giving a sermon about possible angel, and devil worshiping in music. It was either the same Christian one, or a similar one. From what I remember, there was a slide show involving the front cover of "the Eagles - Hotel California", and some of the lyrics in "Hotel California", "Ozzy Osbourne", "Ronnie James Dio", "Black Sabbath", "Iron Maiden", the front cover of "Led Zeppelin - IV", and some of the lyrics in "Stairway to Heaven", the front cover of "the Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band", the front cover of "the Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request", and the song "Sympathy For the Devil", even the front cover of "Rush - Caress of Steel", "2112", and the front cover of "Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna", too. There were some other ones, too. At the time, I couldn't believe anything like that. It was unbelievable, and ludicrous.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t say it’s a matter of better or worse, but Freddie definitely refined his drumming, introduced some different technique, and sent it in a direction that it had not gone before.

And I am a musician. But I don’t think that necessarily qualifies my opinion any more than a non-musician.

I'll just say this: the man who played drums on 2112 didn't need lessons from ANYONE!

You're either not an artist, or not a very good one.