Presto: Rush's most awkward era

fraroc

Just fantastic Rush songs. If I could put an album together of those two it would go like this:

Show Don't Tell

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

The Pass

Where's My Thing

Chain Lighting

Ghost Of A Chance

Presto

Available Light

and that would make a damn fine album

• Like 2

Most awkward era for me was RTB, Great album but the progression just not cutting-edge. Absolutely nothing too new. Suffice to say the awkwardness completely sorted out by Counterparts, the band was back showing the kids how seriously cool they were

Presto wasnt awkward just part a natural progression, rather than a little tired, superb album

Not Awkward.

ZealousPossibleAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Well think of it this way. Is Moving Pictures a synth era Rush album or is it a prog era Rush album?

For me, it's both and neither at the same time. It's in a league of its own and thats one of the things that made MP so great

• Like 1

"Presto" is one of the greatest albums on the Earth.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

So cliche and yet so true.

Melodic and slick production. Some of Neil's best lyrics.

Keep smoking that crack rock kids!

"Anagram (For Mongo)" is a masterpiece. Nice homage to "Blazing Saddles!" Hello????????

The record is amazing. Love the keyboards. Even the keys in "Red Tide." So melodic.

I guess you so called Rush Fans don't like melody in your music.

Enjoy "Vapor Trails." then. Pure shite.

#SAFE

JMO!

• Like 1

Their songwriting style got very "safe" in the Hine era. The melodies and structures and recorded performances were fine but they were really holding back compared to the musical chops they showed on the previous albums. It wasn't until Counterparts where they seemed to cut loose and start having fun again (Cut To The Chase & Between Sun and Moon are good examples)

"Counterparts" is the last great Rush record.

Not Awkward.

Well think of it this way. Is Moving Pictures a synth era Rush album or is it a prog era Rush album?

For me, it's both and neither at the same time. It's in a league of its own and thats one of the things that made MP so great

It was definitely stage one..or 0.9... and Vital Signs, last track, ushered in the full synth era imo.

Their songwriting style got very "safe" in the Hine era. The melodies and structures and recorded performances were fine but they were really holding back compared to the musical chops they showed on the previous albums. It wasn't until Counterparts where they seemed to cut loose and start having fun again (Cut To The Chase & Between Sun and Moon are good examples)

"Counterparts" is the last great Rush record.

I remember listening to that album and thinking the hard rockers are back :)

Not Awkward.

It was definitely stage one..or 0.9... and Vital Signs, last track, ushered in the full synth era imo.

Personally I'd say The Camera Eye and Witch Hunt ushered in the synths more.

Wait... pop rock tunes with prog rock chops and adult contemporary lyrics are more awkward than...

...very softly singing an acoustic piece about the Lord of the Rings, screeching about a heroic mop dog fighting a demon, or 30 minutes of wailing about an astronaut that turns into a Greek God?

I dunno....

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 5

Presto kicks ass. IMO, it's better than RTB because it has more emotional weight to it, even if it doesn't 'rock' as much. A lot of RTB sounds uninspired. Presto is also better than HYF, IMHO, because it isn't saturated in overly poppiness and keyboards and itsn't forever tainted by the 3 worst Rush songs ever, High Water, Tai Shan and Second Nature. I totally dig all songs on Presto, except for Anagram which is tolerable. It's funny how PoW and HYF are 'sister albums' (same producer and musical approach) but one is far superior (PoW!), as is Presto with RTB and CP with T4E. This all being said, I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a 'bad' Rush album.
  • Like 2

This all being said, I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a 'bad' Rush album.

Nor do I. Even if it has mostly clunkers on it, there are enough good songs to salvage the album. The good songs compensate for the clunkers.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Wait... pop rock tunes with prog rock chops and adult contemporary lyrics are more awkward than...

...very softly singing an acoustic piece about the Lord of the Rings, screeching about a heroic mop dog fighting a demon, or 30 minutes of wailing about an astronaut that turns into a Greek God?

I dunno....

:clap:
  • Like 1

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

Agree.

But I would add - No Rush album is a complete success, either. Some are 90% of the way there (MP, PW, Hemispheres maybe). Rush have never been about perfection, they work hard and write good stuff but they don't mind taking risks either which is why I've enjoyed and respected them.

So when I weigh the value of an album, I simply take a percent of the total tracks I truly enjoy as my 'grade'. There's actually no album from them that I like every single song. Generally, I don't know of many albums by any artist where I can say I truly enjoy the entire thing. Perhaps this would be a good topic for Music of the Spheres.

• Like 2

Agree.

But I would add - No Rush album is a complete success, either. Some are 90% of the way there (MP, PW, Hemispheres maybe). Rush have never been about perfection, they work hard and write good stuff but they don't mind taking risks either which is why I've enjoyed and respected them.

So when I weigh the value of an album, I simply take a percent of the total tracks I truly enjoy as my 'grade'. There's actually no album from them that I like every single song. Generally, I don't know of many albums by any artist where I can say I truly enjoy the entire thing. Perhaps this would be a good topic for Music of the Spheres.

I would rate all three of those that you cited as perfect Rush albums. Just my opinion. I really think that period was their apex- in songwriting, in energy, in instrumentation and in execution.

Agree.

The only albums that I like every song on are Hemispheres and Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Agree.

Moving Pictures, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are pretty much perfect. They have several other albums that are damn close too. :codger: :rush: :haz:
  • Like 3

Agree.

Moving Pictures, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves are pretty much perfect. They have several other albums that are damn close too. :codger: :rush: :haz:

I totally agree!

• Like 1

Agree.

I disagree about “Rush have never been about perfection”. They had always been about perfection.

Perfection is the reason they were so anal about making the concerts sound as close to the albums as possible.

It’s the reason they had rehearsals BEFORE the rehearsals for tours. That’s been well documented.

It’s the reason they worked liked slaves on Hemispheres.

It’s also a big reason why they’re not making music anymore - Peart knew he couldn’t play as perfectly (or near perfect) as in times past. There’s some quote of his in which he states this exact thing. [edited to add: OR maybe Geddy said that about Neil. Now I can’t remember who said it but Neil or Geddy did.]

Of course, perfect is in the ear of the beholder but there’s no doubt that Rush were always TRYING to reach perfection.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

Agree.

I disagree about “Rush have never been about perfection”. They had always been about perfection.

Perfection is the reason they were so anal about making the concerts sound as close to the albums as possible.

It’s the reason they had rehearsals BEFORE the rehearsals for tours. That’s been well documented.

It’s the reason they worked liked slaves on Hemispheres.

It’s also a big reason why they’re not making music anymore - Peart knew he couldn’t play as perfectly (or near perfect) as in times past. There’s some quote of his in which he states this exact thing. [edited to add: OR maybe Geddy said that about Neil. Now I can’t remember who said it but Neil or Geddy did.]

Of course, perfect is in the ear of the beholder but there’s no doubt that Rush were always TRYING to reach perfection.

They took waaay too many risks as musicians to say they were trying to be perfect. They've said themselves that they work very hard but have often written songs at the edge of their ability. Someone trying to be 'perfect' would play it much safer.

Pushing the envelop is always about making mistakes. IMO the mistakes in Rush's music isn't in their playing, it's usually in their composition and lyric choices. The phases the band have gone through alienated fans. In the eyes of the fans it alienated, they were far from perfect. What level of 'perfection' are we imposing on them? Is it purely technical? Are not the writing decisions behind the music part of the measure they should meet? Not flubbing notes is far from being a complete and accurate measure.

Edited by stoopid