July 1st, 1979 - Music Goes Mobile With Sony

Principled Man

Walkman.jpg

cw70LhQ.jpg

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

I loved the Walkman! I spent many hours listening to cassettes on them when I was younger on my way to school and on my paper route. It's probably the only reason I kept the paper route too. Because seven days a week and getting up at 5AM on the weekends sucked. But at least I had some music listening to look forward to while doing it.
  • Like 2

Hi Friends, believe it or not, I still have Walkmans that work; that I bring to the Saints games to listen to the radio broadcast. Actually, security did question me a couple times.!

I had mine up to a couple of years ago...till The Purge. They were real workhorses.
  • Like 2

My Walkman was my best friend when I went to the gym 4-5 nights a week. I made many "Various Artists" cassettes, recording select songs from CD's onto the cassettes. On the treadmill, Stairmaster, or even lifting weights, my TUNES kept me invigorated! :haz: :haz:
  • Like 2

In 2008 I've had an overall security check at the Frankfurt airport because they found my Sony Walkman, a few cassettes, but no headphones. I explained that I'm going on a camping trip and I always bring these wee little speakers with me. So they wanted me to set up the whole thing and play some music to see if it truely works. I told the cops to pick any cassette they like and one of them has chosen Dark Side... I put in in, pressed play and we were right at the beginning of Time... I will never forget those expressions on their faces when all the clocks began to strike - just priceless!

Unbelievable, but the bloody, damn thing is from 1985 and it still works to this day! Well, after that little incident at the airport, and for future travelling comfort reasons, I bought one of those Sony mp3 players, and you'll guess what they're called nowadays - walkman!

• Like 2

My constant companion - the Walkman. Had the cassette box sized one for a long time. Then got an Aiwa that sounded just a good, plus had really decent recording inputs. Used that until about 2006 or so when I got my first iPod.

Still using a 6th gen iPod. So long as I can find replacement parts, I'll keep it running.

9987662.jpg

Picture-11.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

I remember putting on Walkman headphones for the first time - remember how your whole head was filled with music?

Wow.

I miss those foam rubber headphones, even if they do mess up my hair. :LOL:

I'm not a fan of the ear plugs, as they tend to hurt my ears. Sometimes, old tech is the best tech!

• Like 3

MRAcohc.jpg

I got one of these during the Christmas holidays in Florida, '79, from one of my cousins that made brand new busses into touring busses for bands and crew. He got a gross of them at a time and equiped all of his tour busses with them.

RpClKD3.gif

• Like 1

I used a Walkman a bunch when I was a teenager. Ahhh, cassettes!

I don’t think I’ve had a functioning Walkman since about 1991, but great memories all the same, I loved it.

• Like 1

My Walkman was my best friend when I went to the gym 4-5 nights a week. I made many "Various Artists" cassettes, recording select songs from CD's onto the cassettes. On the treadmill, Stairmaster, or even lifting weights, my TUNES kept me invigorated! :haz: :haz:

I used to spend hours and hours making mixed tapes and now I can make a playlist with tons of songs on it in a few minutes. The thing is that I kinda miss making those mixed tapes. There is something very nostalgic about them.
  • Like 2

I used to spend hours and hours making mixed tapes and now I can make a playlist with tons of songs on it in a few minutes. The thing is that I kinda miss making those mixed tapes. There is something very nostalgic about them.

Yeah, I started making "ROCKTapes" in '78. Those were my MIX tapes. Now, of course I make "Cruisin' Mix" CDs....I'm up to Cruisin' Mix 642, About to finish it actually...They're all I play in my car... no radio for me...

qZ2cAX3.gif

• Like 1

I agree, I remember putting mix tapes together...I remember the girl that I made several of them for too, haha

But honestly, yeah, it was always fun taking the time to put those things together.

• Like 1

Yeah, I started making "ROCKTapes" in '78. Those were my MIX tapes. Now, of course I make "Cruisin' Mix" CDs....I'm up to Cruisin' Mix 642, About to finish it actually...They're all I play in my car... no radio for me...

qZ2cAX3.gif

I also have not listened to commercial radio for more than 25 years now!

But I am more a full-album experience kind of guy now, with my iPod (which, I realize, is already becoming a nostalgic kind of a thing, good god).

I agree, I remember putting mix tapes together...I remember the girl that I made several of them for too, haha

But honestly, yeah, it was always fun taking the time to put those things together.

Yup! I still have most of mine! The only ones missing were kept by the girl! I got up to 300 RockTapes, and a dozen Love tapes... I do make SPECIALIZED Cruisin' Mix CDs, Instrumental, All Female singers, Favorite Years, Unplugged, etc. Driving in my car is EXCELLENT!

d7t36g3.png

• Like 1

Yup. Got in trouble in 10th grade listening to Def Leppard in class. Couldn't even hide the headphones in my 'fro.
  • Like 1