Nevermind.... here's Metallica

Take your pick!  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Nirvana - Nevermind
    • Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
  2. 2. Which world dominating riff of a song do you prefer?

• Smells Like Teen Spirit
    • Enter Sandman
  3. 3. Which had a bigger impact on the music world?

• Smells Like Teen Spirit / Nevermind
    • Enter Sandman / The Black Album

Alright, one of these earth shattering records from 1991 must be better than the other, right? Which one do you prefer?

For me, much as I've forced Nirvana to have to win me over, I have to hand it Nevermind as the leaner record. Both have great songs I love, but The Black Album starts to bore me after the halfway mark...Nirvana doesn't let me get bored. However, I'll take Enter Sandman over Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

The albums and songs share a similar impact on music history at the same time, and both are among the best selling albums of all time and considered among the most popular gateways into heavy rock and metal.

If people can separate how much they like a band or music from how the music impacted the music world (and clearly they can't based on the votes already shown), there's absolutely no doubt that Nevermind was and still is, almost infinitely more influential than the Black Album.
  • Like 1

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

The albums and songs share a similar impact on music history at the same time, and both are among the best selling albums of all time and considered among the most popular gateways into heavy rock and metal.

You don't have to give me a history lesson. I lived through when both of these albums broke huge. I don't think Nirvana was ever considered a gateway into heavy rock. That's the first I have ever heard that claim. I'm not denying their impact but I feel Metallica has had the bigger longer term and more positive effect on music with the Black Album.

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

You don't have to give me a history lesson. I lived through when both of these albums broke huge. I don't think Nirvana was ever considered a gateway into heavy rock. That's the first I have ever heard that claim. I'm not denying their impact but I feel Metallica has had the bigger longer term and more positive effect on music with the Black Album.

You seemed to be asking for justification; I provided some. And I definitely disagree that Nirvana isn't considered a gateway into heavy rock, on the punk and alternative side of things at least.

• Like 1

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

You seemed to be asking for justification; I provided some. And I definitely disagree that Nirvana isn't considered a gateway into heavy rock, on the punk and alternative side of things at least.

I just never heard them referred to as a gateway band before. So I was just curious where that was coming from. I guess since I was already listening to rock and metal when they broke big I just never saw them that way. The only thing Nirvana was a gateway to for me was showing how you can be bad at your instruments and still make it huge. But we did end up getting the Foo Fighters because of them so it wasn't all bad.

• Like 1

I prefer the Black album.

like Enter Sandman more.

BUT.......Nevermind had the bigger impact.

Honestly though. Nirvana is my least fav Grunge band.......i was never THAT impressed.

Mick

• Like 3

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

WTF???

Are you kidding me???

Once Cliff Biurton passed away METALLICA WAS FUCKKING OVER! JUNK BAND!

I will give "And Justice For All" a thumbs up but really? Jason's bass turned off? What a TURN OFF!

Kill Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

Groundbreaking masterpieces.

"The Flack Album?" MTV GET OFF THE FUCKKING AIR NOW! DEAD KENNEDYS!

"Nevermind" The Bollocks? Suck My Sex Pistol!

METALLICA IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED BANDS IN THE LAND!

RIP CLIFF BURTON

THE GENIUS OF THE BAND!!

Hell they were born here. About 45 minutes from my house.

Met them all back in the day. Lars is a DOUCHE.

Enjoy your METALLICA WORLD!

I will NEVER pay a dime to see them again.

Hell, I saw NIRVANA with L7 Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers! Cow Palace 1991

I thought Nirvana was great live! Do you know why?

They all smashed their instruments on stage like a real band called THE WHO!

Grohl destroyed his drum set. It was fuckking awesome although not original.

Metallica is doing an S&M Reunion show at the new Chase Center. I wouldn't pay one Red Hot Chili Pepper cent to see that crap!

Great Poll! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PERP!

Metallica hasn't made a great record since "And Justice For All." DUHHHHHHHHHH

Signed,

KISS MY ST. WHITE ANUS!

LOL!

• Like 1

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

WTF???

Are you kidding me???

I will give "And Justice For All" a thumbs up but really? Jason's bass turned off? What a TURN OFF!

Kill Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

RIP CLIFF BURTON

THE GENIUS OF THE BAND!!

Hell, I saw NIRVANA with L7 Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers! Cow Palace 1991

Metallica is doing an S&M Reunion show at the new Chase Center. I wouldn't pay one Red Hot Chili Pepper cent to see that crap!

Signed,

KISS MY ST. WHITE ANUS!

LOL!

Oh, shut up with that Metallica was over when Cliff died bullshit. Metallica has always been about the riffs. Nobody listened to them because of the bass. The band has always been about the riffs. They had great riffs with Cliff and plenty of great ones after. Can't hear the bass on Justice? Who cares? Metallica isn't the Chilli Peppers. The bass has never driven their sound.

• Like 3

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

WTF???

Are you kidding me???

Kill Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

RIP CLIFF BURTON

THE GENIUS OF THE BAND!!

Signed,

KISS MY ST. WHITE ANUS!

LOL!

Hey Earl, weren’t you the one who had the story about Metallica suddenly turning up and playing in some parking lot at a Raiders game or something? I think that was you anyway who was going on about it and jacking off in the parking lot because of the awesomeness of the moment.

Metallica didn’t make the biggest 90s metal impact. That honor goes to Pantera.

Where did you find your metal impact measuring stick?

By listening to metal.

Pantera did have the bigger overall influence on the metal sound than any other metal band in the 90s. Decades later we can still hear Darrell Abbott's influence on the guitar playing all over the genre. Metallica's success with the black album saw a more immediate influence though as bands like Megadeth, Anthrax and Testament all stripped down their sound and went for a more straight metal approach. All three would release their most commercially successful albums because of that. Even unknown bay area thrash band Flostsam and Jetsam did the same thing and found a little commercial success.

No doubt the black album had influence but Pantera's was overall bigger to the sound of the genre.

• Like 1

Metallica didn’t make the biggest 90s metal impact. That honor goes to Pantera.

Where did you find your metal impact measuring stick?

By listening to metal.

Pantera did have the bigger overall influence on the metal sound than any other metal band in the 90s. Decades later we can still hear Darrell Abbott's influence on the guitar playing all over the genre. Metallica's success with the black album saw a more immediate influence though as bands like Megadeth, Anthrax and Testament all stripped down their sound and went for a more straight metal approach. All three would release their most commercially successful albums because of that. Even unknown bay area thrash band Flostsam and Jetsam did the same thing and found a little commercial success.

No doubt the black album had influence but Pantera's was overall bigger to the sound of the genre.

I think Pantera has a big impact on BAD commercial and fake American metal (Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Korn, etc).

I find them grossly overrated when it comes to metal music. There are plenty of better metal bands from the 90's, but they didn't hit the mainstream and become as famous as Pantera.

Nirvana's influence was the same as The Sex Pistols...right place, right time, but total flash in the pan. They were basically a loud, less talented Pixies clone who got Butch Vig to sanitize their album and make it more commercial sounding.
  • Like 1

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

WTF???

Are you kidding me???

Kill Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

RIP CLIFF BURTON

THE GENIUS OF THE BAND!!

Signed,

KISS MY ST. WHITE ANUS!

LOL!

Oh, shut up with that Metallica was over when Cliff died bullshit. Metallica has always been about the riffs. Nobody listened to them because of the bass. The band has always been about the riffs. They had great riffs with Cliff and plenty of great ones after. Can't hear the bass on Justice? Who cares? Metallica isn't the Chilli Peppers. The bass has never driven their sound.

This x1000000

Gonna be honest, not a big fan of the black album at all.

Nevermind all the way

• Like 1