Why do some RUSH fans Hate "Roll The Bones"?

OldRUSHfan

Because it isn’t very good in many a Rush fan’s eye. At least half of it isn’t worth my time, and the other half is hit and miss.

Because it isn’t very good in many a Rush fan’s eye. At least half of it isn’t worth my time, and the other half is hit and miss.

I listened to it last night. First time in ages all the way through.

Here’s my report card for Test for Echo off last night’s listen...

1. Test for Echo: B

2. Driven: B+

3. Half the World: D

4. The Color of Right: D

5. Time and Motion: B-

6. Totem: C

7. Dog Years: C

8. Virtuality: C-

9. Resist: B-

10. Limbo: C+

11. Carve Away the Stone: D

Overal GPA: 2.06 ©...actually higher than I expected

Comments: Some of these grades might’ve changed since my last listen, but not too much I don’t think. There’s nothing on it that I hate but, as you can see, there’s plenty I don’t care about. There isn’t a “A” grade in the bunch but there are a few that I do enjoy. It’s definitely not the worst Rush album around but it’d probably get the silver or bronze medal in the Worst Rush Albums event

It's not that it has rap in it. It's that particular rap part. I know it's a product of it's time, but even when it was new I thought it was straight, bland and boring.

The song itself - just seems like it's programmed into a synth, cut and pasted. The hook that's been cut and pasted doesn't seem to have much of a grab to it. In my opinion, of course.

The song's one redeeming quality, IMHO is it's killer bass tone. If I could turn off the rest of the song and just listen to Ged and Neil play that one, it would be interesting.

Edited by grep

A Rush fan that hates Roll the Bones is not a Rush fan... Probably because of the title track who sounds cheesy, but there are some good songs on this "Dreamline", "Bravado" and "Where's my thing", the rest is just ok

Because they established their 'epic' period up to the early 80s and releases after that paled in comparison. Compare RTB to Hemispheres, PW, MP, etc...not even close. We expected better and knew they were capable of delivering better releases.

There's trinkets of decent material after the early 80s, but as a whole it's lacking.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Why do some RUSH fans Hate "Roll The Bones"?

Because it's not heavy metal enough with no crushing riffs nor screaming 2112 vocals. The drums are plastic-sounding with no power and no sharpness the songs are wishy washy and too commercial and the lyrics are dopey talking about the cold war like anything had really changed going from the Soviet Union to Russia and here we are today the Russian leader is a former KGB Colonel.

He is also the current POTUSA

Everyone has their least favorite or album or album(s) they don't like. Personally, I feel RTB is maybe a bit inconsistent compared to earlier albums but I like it anyway. Some people didn't like Presto when it came out either and still don't. I don't think RTB is much more hated than Presto but I could be wrong.

Everyone has their least favorite or album or album(s) they don't like. Personally, I feel RTB is maybe a bit inconsistent compared to earlier albums but I like it anyway. Some people didn't like Presto when it came out either and still don't. I don't think RTB is much more hated than Presto but I could be wrong.

If we did the poll again today, the numbers would probably be similar...just with fewer votes today because TRF has downsized in the last few years

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92153-presto-vs-roll-the-bones/page__mode__show

If we did the poll again today, the numbers would probably be similar...just with fewer votes today because TRF has downsized in the last few years

http://www.therushfo...age__mode__show

Well, I know maybe not on here but I have seen on other sites where Presto wasn't very popular and I personally know of people who like RTB better. PResto is catchier with more melodic songs for sure but that doesn't necessarily make it better although I'm sure a lot of people would think so.

Edited by New_World_Man

Well, I know maybe not on here but I have seen on other sites where Presto wasn't very possible and I personally know of people who like RTB better. PResto is catchier with more melodic songs for sure but that doesn't necessarily make it better although I'm sure a lot of people would think so.

There’s no such thing as “better” here. It’s just a matter of which one is liked more...or disliked more.

I like Moving Pictures a little more than Permanent Waves. Is it better? Impossible to know.

Well, I know maybe not on here but I have seen on other sites where Presto wasn't very possible and I personally know of people who like RTB better. PResto is catchier with more melodic songs for sure but that doesn't necessarily make it better although I'm sure a lot of people would think so.

There’s no such thing as “better” here. It’s just a matter of which one is liked more...or disliked more.

I like Moving Pictures a little more than Permanent Waves. Is it better? Impossible to know.

Better according to the person who likes one over the other.

I see

I see

That's what I love about this place, you always learn something when you visit.

• Like 1

Because it's pansy rock crossed with white boi pseudo-hip hop performed in mock-nerd-trying to be cool but not cool-style. And you still have that Rubert Hine production with the drums sounding like tupperware and cardboard.

Isn't "pansy rock" what Air Supply used to play?

Because it's pansy rock crossed with white boi pseudo-hip hop performed in mock-nerd-trying to be cool but not cool-style. And you still have that Rubert Hine production with the drums sounding like tupperware and cardboard.

That's fagg rock, sometimes known as Faggle Rock.

Then, who would be in pansy rock?

Then, who would be in pansy rock?

U2