Why do some RUSH fans Hate "Roll The Bones"?

OldRUSHfan

I've noticed that a lot of RUSH fans dislike the "Roll The Bones" song. I would like to know why this is? I like the song fine, and the Lyrics are inventive [for RUSH at the time of The Album's release] My Qualifications are, started playing percussion when I was 6-7( Mom's giant fork and Spoon wall decorations from the kitchen on her Tupperware containers) Took Piano for 7 years, and starting in 5th grade, in the school band, percussion, all instruments, drums, keyboards etc. So tell me please WHY do these people HATE "Roll The Bones"?

pcG2tzV.gif

• Like 1

BECAUSE IT HAS RAPPING IN IT AND ALL RAP IS BAD!!!!!!! Then again, some Rush "fans" stopped listening when Signals came out and have never heard Roll The Bones.

(in this case, the rapping isn't very good but there is a lot of rap music that is great)

• Like 1

Because it's not heavy metal enough with no crushing riffs nor screaming 2112 vocals. The drums are plastic-sounding with no power and no sharpness the songs are wishy washy and too commercial and the lyrics are dopey talking about the cold war like anything had really changed going from the Soviet Union to Russia and here we are today the Russian leader is a former KGB Colonel.

• Like 7

It's the rap section that gets the hate from everyone for the most part. Even though Rush is considered a prog band and all they were doing was experimenting with that part just like any prog band does with their music. Still, too many snob fans thought Rush was lowering themselves by doing rap in a song. It was just them being their goofy selfs for a minute and some fans hated it because Rush is supposed to be super serious all the time.

I love the song myself. I even sing along with the rap part.

• Like 4

Because it's not heavy metal enough with no crushing riffs nor screaming 2112 vocals. The drums are plastic-sounding with no power and no sharpness the songs are wishy washy and too commercial and the lyrics are dopey talking about the cold war like anything had really changed going from the Soviet Union to Russia and here we are today the Russian leader is a former KGB Colonel.

Once a commie, always a commie, right TD?

"Better red than dead!"

:16ton:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

"Better red than dead!"

And a pack of blueberry gum!

• Like 2

I dislike the album as far as Rush albums go. It has gutless production and some pretty weak songwriting. I do dig a few cuts though, and the title track is one of them. Fun, funky, goofy, and a solid melody and arrangement.

C'MON, Duck. Neil is Neil. He writes about the irony of Russian leaders doing a bit of PR for themselves, and trying to get the rest of the world to go along with the charade. As far as the music goes, it is consistent with all the OTHER RUSH music, and the band is 'mimicking' minimalist Rap. Not at that time known for metal tendencies.

QYjqHIw.jpg

It's the rap section that gets the hate from everyone for the most part. Even though Rush is considered a prog band and all they were doing was experimenting with that part just like any prog band does with their music. Still, too many snob fans thought Rush was lowering themselves by doing rap in a song. It was just them being their goofy selfs for a minute and some fans hated it because Rush is supposed to be super serious all the time.

I love the song myself. I even sing along with the rap part.

Fans who think like this are the REAL Fans! Actually, REALISTIC is more the term! :Alex: :Neil: :geddy: :rush:

t1Qf8U0.gif

It's a parallax, you dig?

RUSH is into that obviously.

4rEQmqU.png

"Better red than dead!"

You got it backwards as far as Xenophobes think, Lorraine. They believe in better DEAD than RED. [of course the Russians don't think that...]

xkloMo5.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan

"Better red than dead!"

You got it backwards as far as Zenophobes think, Lorraine. They believe in better DEAD than RED. [of course the Russians don't think that...]

xkloMo5.jpg

It's xenophobes.

• Like 2

"Better red than dead!"

Where did you get your Intel on Russians loving blueberry gum, Ducky?

Mceb9ol.jpg

NAGAdFC.gif

• Like 2

"Better red than dead!"

Mceb9ol.jpg

NAGAdFC.gif

All I care about is, is it heavy metal or not, and does anyone in the band have at least as much head hair as Hair Bear from Help it's the Hair Bear Bunch.

• Like 1

"Better red than dead!"

Mceb9ol.jpg

NAGAdFC.gif

All I care about is, is it heavy metal or not, and does anyone in the band have at least as much head hair as Hair Bear from Help it's the Hair Bear Bunch.

But that's not MY question Ducky. you know how to start a thread with YOUR question.

V1R87oP.gif

"Better red than dead!"

Mceb9ol.jpg

NAGAdFC.gif

But that's not MY question Ducky. you know how to start a thread with YOUR question.

V1R87oP.gif

You didn't start the thread.

John Cleese was originally supposed to perform the rap portion of RtB.

Too bad that didn’t happen.

I think the song would’ve worked even better with the rap part removed completely.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

"Better red than dead!"

Mceb9ol.jpg

NAGAdFC.gif

V1R87oP.gif

You didn't start the thread.

Did I mess the thread up? I'm sorry. I was just trying to interject some humor,

My apologies. :cheers:

• Like 2