Top ten deep cuts by any artist!

Lists galore! Pick a band or other musical artist and give your personal top ten deep cuts! (Might be tough with Rush)

R.E.M.

“Ages of You”

“At My Most Beautiful”

“Fretless”

“Good Advices”

“Green Grow the Rushes”

“Shaking Through”

“Swan Swan H”

“Walk It Back”

“What If We Give It Away?”

“You Are the Everything”

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Queen

She Makes Me (Sheer Heart Attack)

Long Away (A Day at the Races)

Sail Away, Sweet Sister (The Game)

The Night Comes Down (Queen)

Funny How Love Is (Queen II)

Drowse (A Day at the Races)

I Go Crazy (B Side to Radio Ga-Ga)

Who Needs You (News of the World)

I Was Born to Love You (Made in Heaven)

Leaving Home Ain't Easy (Jazz)

• Like 1

I’ll try a Queen list:

1. My Melancholy Blues (News Of The World)

2. Nevermore (Queen II)

3. Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To...) (A Night At The Opera)

4. The March Of The Black Queen (Queen II)

5. You Take My Breath Away (A Day At The Races)

6. Spread Your Wings (News Of The World)

7. ‘39 (A Night At The Opera)

8. The Prophet’s Song (A Night At The Opera)

9. Life Is Real (Son For Lennon) (Hot Space)

10. The Millionaire Waltz ( A Day At The Races)

Oh there are so many more. Great King Rat, Liar, Ogre Battle, Father To Son, White Queen (As It Began), Brighton Rock, Bring Back That Leroy Brown, Tenement Funster, Flick Of The Wrist, Lilly Of The Valley, In The Lap Of The Gods, In The Lap Of The Gods... Revisited, Dear Friends, Seaside Rendezvous, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Good Company, Long Away, You And I, Drowse, All Dead All Dead, It’s Late, Get Down Make Love, Who Needs You, Jealousy, Mustapha, If You Can’t Beat Em, Let Me Entertain You, More Of That Jazz, Dreamer’s Ball, Leaving Home Ain’t Easy, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Dragon Attack, Need Your Loving, Staying Power, Cool Cat, Put Out The Fire, I Go Crazy, Is This The World We Created...?, Keep Passing The Open Windows, Man On The Prowl, Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, Gimme The Prize, One Year Of Love, Kashogghi’s Ship, The Miracle, Rain Must Fall, Was It All Worth It, I Can’t Live With You, Don’t Try So Hard, All God’s People, Delilah, Bijou, The Hitman, It’s A Beautiful Day, Let Me Live, Too Much Love Will Kill You....

I’m a bit obsessed of course.

• Like 2

Radiohead

Maquiladora

Permanent Daylight

Banana Co.

Talk Show Host

Pearly

Lull

Cuttooth

Fog

Kinetic

Where I End and You Begin

(All but the last are b-sides/ep tracks; I could have easily made a list of mostly album tracks)

• Like 1

Hellion/Electric Eye

Riding on The Wind

Diamonds and Rust

Tyrant

Dissident Aggressor

Beyond The Realms of Death

You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise

Don't Go

Exciter

Rock Forever

• Like 1

To Tame A Land

The Prisoner

Alexander The Great

Gangland

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Where Eagles Dare

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Empire of the Clouds

Paschendale

The Legacy

• Like 2

To Tame A Land

The Prisoner

Alexander The Great

Gangland

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Where Eagles Dare

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Empire of the Clouds

Paschendale

The Legacy

All I see here is a list of absolute classics

• Like 2

Iron Maiden:

Heaven Can Wait

Sea Of Madness

Tailgunner

Infinite Dreams

Mother Russia

Prisoner

The Duellists

Saving three spaces whilst I think

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

One from each of their classic albums:

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

The Sign of the Southern Cross

I have two possible semantic arguments regarding this post, but I've been told never to argue such things with lawyers, because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Hellion/Electric Eye

Riding on The Wind

Diamonds and Rust

Tyrant

Dissident Aggressor

Beyond The Realms of Death

You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise

Don't Go

Exciter

Rock Forever

Electric Eye is the opening track for the bands best selling album. Everyone goes nuts for it live. Hardly a deep cut.

• Like 1

Iron Maiden:

Heaven Can Wait

Sea Of Madness

Tailgunner

Infinite Dreams

Mother Russia

Prisoner

The Duellists

Saving three spaces whilst I think

I remember Heaven Can Wait being the only song off SIT to regularly be in every set for a long time. Steve Harris must have got tired of it though since it hasn't been played in like ten years now.

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

I have two possible semantic arguments regarding this post, but I've been told never to argue such things with lawyers, because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Let me hear them.

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

Let me hear them.

I

Against my better judgment...what constitutes a deep cut? I would think the Wizard is borderline...

And this is the first time I've ever heard Never Say Die as a classic album (even it could -- just barely -- be said to have been recorded with the, or a, classic lineup)...

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

Let me hear them.

I

Against my better judgment...what constitutes a deep cut? I would think the Wizard is borderline...

And this is the first time I've ever heard Never Say Die as a classic album (even it could -- just barely -- be said to have been recorded with the, or a, classic lineup)...

I would say most people who aren't Sabbath fans don't know The Wizard. To me a deep cut =/= "crappy song that no one who doesn't own the album it's on has ever heard," it just means you aren't likely to hear it on the radio. But I agree with your general point. I would just say a band like Sabbath, or Zeppelin, or The Beatles, isn't going to have "deep cuts" in the way Vandenberg would.

NSD is underappreciated IMO. It's better than probably 90% of the albums released by every other artist ever, it's just not better than Paranoid, etc. And if you compare it with stuff like The Eternal Idol or, worse, Forbidden, it qualifies as a classic.

• Like 1

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

Let me hear them.

I

I think the number of songs an album has plays a factor in what can be considered a deep cut. Does an album with seven or eight tracks really have anything deep? I'm not so sure about that.

The Wizard isn't a deep cut. It's a very well known and popular song among Sabbath fans and classic rock radio has it in rotation or at least they used to for many years.

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

Let me hear them.

I

I would say most people who aren't Sabbath fans don't know The Wizard. To me a deep cut =/= "crappy song that no one who doesn't own the album it's on has ever heard," it just means you aren't likely to hear it on the radio. But I agree with your general point. I would just say a band like Sabbath, or Zeppelin, or The Beatles, isn't going to have "deep cuts" in the way Vandenberg would.

NSD is underappreciated IMO. It's better than probably 90% of the albums released by every other artist ever, it's just not better than Paranoid, etc. And if you compare it with stuff like The Eternal Idol or, worse, Forbidden, it qualifies as a classic.

I suppose NSD probably deserves another chance, its just with a limited time in which to listen to music, and enough great artists and even other Sabbath albums it just never reaches the point where I'd choose it, even if it was one of the first 10 albums I ever bought.

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

Let me hear them.

I

I think the number of songs an album has plays a factor in what can be considered a deep cut. Does an album with seven or eight tracks really have anything deep? I'm not so sure about that.

The Wizard isn't a deep cut. It's a very well known and popular song among Sabbath fans and classic rock radio has it in rotation or at least they used to for many years.

I'm not so sure about that. I have Sirius/XM in my car, and listen to Ozzy's Boneyard regularly. They obviously play A LOT of old Sabbath. If I've ever heard The Wizard on there, I can't remember it.

As I said, a list of top 10 deep cuts =/= a list of 10 filler songs IMO. Is Quest for Fire a candidate for top 10 Maiden deep cuts? Or is it obscure because it's not very good?

• Like 1

The Wizard

Planet Caravan

Lord of This World

Under the Sun

Killing Yourself to Live

Hole in the Sky

It's Alright

Junior's Eyes

Wishing Well

Let me hear them.

I

I suppose NSD probably deserves another chance, its just with a limited time in which to listen to music, and enough great artists and even other Sabbath albums it just never reaches the point where I'd choose it, even if it was one of the first 10 albums I ever bought.

I listen to NSD if I'm in the mood for some Ozzy era but I'm not up for listening to Paranoid again.