Horizons v Broon's Bane

lifeson90

Was listening to Genesis' Foxtrot earlier and found myself comparing Steve Hackett's Horizons to Broon's Bane as they both kinda similar, beautiful pieces of rock acoustic, although sort of different in their own ways. I couldn't decide they both equally exquisite, although... nah forget it. Just thought I'd throw it out there, not posted a topic in a while. Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

Just thought I'd throw it out there, not posted a topic in a while.

I can totally see why.

Good to see someone who can see humor without the use of an emoji. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

Reminds me of a few years back, I was sitting in a street cafe in Malaga, Spain. A chap dressed like a hobo wandered into the square, pulled out a small acoustic guitar, crouched down and played Horizons note perfectly then just stood up and walked off!

• Like 2

Reminds me of a few years back, I was sitting in a street cafe in Malaga, Spain. A chap dressed like a hobo wandered into the square, pulled out a small acoustic guitar, crouched down and played Horizons note perfectly then just stood up and walked off!

Similar expierience at a train station in Sydney many years ago except this hobo played Broons Bane/Tree/The Sphere in a note perfect medley.He was obviously down on his luck and he told me he had been in many good bands but never quite made it.Grog had got the better of him and he was red and ruddy faced.I gave him $10 in which he jumped up put his guitar away and told me he was off to by a bottle
  • Like 3

The Hackett one is a fairly traditional composition. Alex's is an ethereal, otherworldly masterpiece.

Agreed, Horizons sounds like it could be any arrangement in an instructional book, don`t get me wrong, it's quite nice. While I thought Broon's Bane was more of an original composition, Alex said it was just a mish-mash of all the classical pieces he had learned. :)

• Like 2

Both are nice guitar pieces and fairly easy to play. They set up what is to come after especially live, always get a bit annoyed Broon's Bane was included on the ESL video to make that epic side complete.

Is there a studio take of Broons Bane floating around somewhere?

always get a bit annoyed Broon's Bane was included on the ESL video to make that epic side complete.

I'm more than a bit annoyed that the whole of that setlist isn't available on video.

Mean't to say wasn't, haven't been able to edit it. Was early int the morning.