What Made You Do A Facepalm Today??

Principled Man

Adventures in cleaning your elderly mom's house, pt. 1-

We are heading home from Pittsburgh with 3 guns and a baby food jar full of liquid mercury. (It's heavy!) None of which I even knew existed in that house. :o :o "I don't think I'll use these anymore . ." I hope not, mom! :lol:

(Luckily we have a gun and sporting goods dealer in town and hazardous waste pick up next month as well. The mercury is pretty cool but odds are I would spill it and contaminate our house forever.)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

We are heading home from Pittsburgh with 3 guns and a baby food jar full of liquid mercury. (It's heavy!) None of which I even knew existed in that house. :o :o "I don't think I'll use these anymore . ." I hope not, mom! :lol:

(Luckily we have a gun and sporting goods dealer in town and hazardous waste pick up next month as well. The mercury is pretty cool but odds are I would spill it and contaminate our house forever.)

I'm too lazy to Google it. What do you use liquid mercury for (I assume your mom doesn't make thermometers :))?

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to Google it. What do you use liquid mercury for (I assume your mom doesn't make thermometers :))?

:lol: We ran into the same thing a few years ago at my father in laws house, the "mercury jar." He repaired pipelines for the gas company and said that it was used in older types of pressure valves and switches?? Or something :lol: My late dad was a chemist and maybe something similar? I think they both liked it mainly because it's really cool. But yeah, a spill would be hard to clean up.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

The Honorable Mike Van Kirk

Mayor of Ham Lake

Dear Mayor Van Kirk:

I’m writing on behalf of PETA and our more than 6.5 million members and supporters worldwide, including many across Minnesota, with a suggestion: Since so many people are turning to a meat-free diet these days because of the COVID-19 pandemic, health issues like heart disease and diabetes, the environmental havoc caused by meat production, a desire to stop cruelty to animals, and even the Lone Star tick, would you consider changing the name of Ham Lake to Yam Lake? We would be happy to contribute to the cost of new signage and will send delicious candied yams for the whole town to enjoy if you agree. Everyone at PETA is rooting for you!

As you likely know, pigs are extremely good-natured. They’re playful, affectionate, and sensitive, just like the dogs and cats who share our homes. But pigs killed for food spend their lives confined on filthy factory farms and are denied everything that’s natural and important to them, such as nurturing their young and rooting in the earth. Pigs’ tails are chopped off, their teeth are cut with pliers, and males are castrated, all without painkillers. Sows are kept in “iron maidens”—named after medieval torture devices—and chew endlessly at the metal bars just inches in front of their faces. They cannot turn around or take even two steps in any direction. At slaughterhouses, pigs are hung upside down and bled to death, often while still conscious.

Eating pigs poses a serious threat to human health, too. The World Health Organization reports that processed meats like ham and bacon cause cancer and that diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure, and impotence are all linked to meat eating. And, of course, eating meat is an antiquated, dirty, and completely unnecessary habit.

When you think about it, Ham Lake looks more like a yam anyway, and yams are super-healthy foods high in fiber, potassium, manganese, and antioxidants—definitely something worth promoting! They also can boost brain health, reduce inflammation, and improve blood sugar control. They’re extremely versatile, easy to prepare, and great to eat alone or include in both sweet and savory dishes.

By renaming the town, you would seize a great opportunity to demonstrate how easy it is to change with the times. Thank you for your consideration. I yam looking forward to hearing from you.

Very truly yours,

Ingrid Newkirk

President

Mayor of Ham Lake

Dear Mayor Van Kirk:

I’m writing on behalf of PETA and our more than 6.5 million members and supporters worldwide, including many across Minnesota, with a suggestion: Since so many people are turning to a meat-free diet these days because of the COVID-19 pandemic, health issues like heart disease and diabetes, the environmental havoc caused by meat production, a desire to stop cruelty to animals, and even the Lone Star tick, would you consider changing the name of Ham Lake to Yam Lake? We would be happy to contribute to the cost of new signage and will send delicious candied yams for the whole town to enjoy if you agree. Everyone at PETA is rooting for you!

As you likely know, pigs are extremely good-natured. They’re playful, affectionate, and sensitive, just like the dogs and cats who share our homes. But pigs killed for food spend their lives confined on filthy factory farms and are denied everything that’s natural and important to them, such as nurturing their young and rooting in the earth. Pigs’ tails are chopped off, their teeth are cut with pliers, and males are castrated, all without painkillers. Sows are kept in “iron maidens”—named after medieval torture devices—and chew endlessly at the metal bars just inches in front of their faces. They cannot turn around or take even two steps in any direction. At slaughterhouses, pigs are hung upside down and bled to death, often while still conscious.

Eating pigs poses a serious threat to human health, too. The World Health Organization reports that processed meats like ham and bacon cause cancer and that diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure, and impotence are all linked to meat eating. And, of course, eating meat is an antiquated, dirty, and completely unnecessary habit.

When you think about it, Ham Lake looks more like a yam anyway, and yams are super-healthy foods high in fiber, potassium, manganese, and antioxidants—definitely something worth promoting! They also can boost brain health, reduce inflammation, and improve blood sugar control. They’re extremely versatile, easy to prepare, and great to eat alone or include in both sweet and savory dishes.

By renaming the town, you would seize a great opportunity to demonstrate how easy it is to change with the times. Thank you for your consideration. I yam looking forward to hearing from you.

Very truly yours,

Ingrid Newkirk

President

This is a serious letter? I thought it was from the Onion or something! Just change it to Hamms' Lake ;) ;)

Mayor of Ham Lake

Dear Mayor Van Kirk:

Very truly yours,

Ingrid Newkirk

President

Lies.

I mostly shop at Whole Foods. So my ham runs in open fields of green, sleeps on beds made from soft recycled materials, and has bed times stories read to them by drag-queens. Guilt free ham.

Super Mario movie extended cut:

https://www.ign.com/...tage-20-minutes

Br00TCn.gif

What part of "You can't polish a turd" do you not understand? This is Super Mario, not Once Upon A Time In America and Kingdom Of Heaven. Hoskins, Leguizamo and Hopkins disowned it for good fing reason. I'll just stick with the Rifftrax version of the mother of all reasons why video game adaptations are never good.

Edited by invisible airwave

Mayor of Ham Lake

Dear Mayor Van Kirk:

Very truly yours,

Ingrid Newkirk

President

This is a serious letter? I thought it was from the Onion or something! Just change it to Hamms' Lake ;) ;)

This is the kind of thing I can imagine that Morrissey wanker writing. Robert Smith once said, "If Morrissey says to not eat meat, then I'm going to eat meat. That's how much I hate Morrissey."

• Like 1

:lol: We ran into the same thing a few years ago at my father in laws house, the "mercury jar." He repaired pipelines for the gas company and said that it was used in older types of pressure valves and switches?? Or something :lol: My late dad was a chemist and maybe something similar? I think they both liked it mainly because it's really cool. But yeah, a spill would be hard to clean up.

I remember playing with mercury.
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was pretty cool! My mom broke a few thermometers in her time and we had fun chasing the mercury beads around the floor. (we made our own fun before the internet, lol.) :lol:

Yeah, it was pretty cool! My mom broke a few thermometers in her time and we had fun chasing the mercury beads around the floor. (we made our own fun before the internet, lol.) :lol:

Now days, if a mercury thermometer is broken at school, the building is evacuated and the room has to be superheated to remove the mercury. Hazmat teams take care of the work. That happened twice at a school where I used to work.
  • Like 2

Didn't everyone?

• Like 1

Didn't everyone?

Not playing with mercury is just another item on the long list of reasons that Millennials and Gen-Z are pussies.

• Like 2

Didn't everyone?

Not playing with mercury is just another item on the long list of reasons that Millennials and Gen-Z are pussies.

Ironic, since a lot of millennials love Freddy. They seem to be the one rock band that's okay for top 40 pop fans to listen to as I've noticed.

I bet they only know the hits, though. Wake me up when you Bieber/Swift etc. fans go to the deep cuts and less selling albums like the first two Queen albums like this Xennial/Oregon Trail generation 40 year old has.

Edited by invisible airwave

All that grovelling, and Chris Harrison is still out as host of "the Bachelor."

Not sure if this one should be here or in the "laugh" thread, though.

Finding out that a great many people never heard of Dolly Parton before tiktok

Well, what exactly has she done in recent years that would make young tiktok users aware of her?

The 2018 movie Dumplin' featured her music prominently. That comes to mind.

IkdovGim.jpg

A carpenter ant bit me and drew blood. :o I never knew such they could do such a thing, I'm just disgusted :lol: That's the last time I pick up a big stupid ant headed toward my drink !! (not our house luckily).

• Like 2