Mick Jagger

Lorraine

My last Stones show ( crappy iphone video )... Cannot wait for the next !!!!

I've traveled the world to see this band. :heart:

http://youtu.be/RveXhHCFApo

I forgot you went to this show. That was the first time they played here since 1997. Looks like your seats were on the opposite side of mine. My recent praise of Jagger's stage work and how he still has it all stems from this show.

You live in Buffalo ? Fantastic city there.

I think it is wonderful that even after 50 years, they can still pack an arena.

I think he still sounds good. I listened without watching too.

http://youtu.be/yI7C8QvLhKg

Charlie can still drum at 78? There is no other drummer?

Uh oh... Lorraine is gonna want to kick me in the onions for this, but... I listened to the youtube on your post. At 1:37 I HAD to turn it off. That was horrible singing. It was actually not singing, it was weird talking.

But, what the hell do I know? It looked like about 80,000 people in the stadium and they probably paid about $500 - $1,000 each. He still sounds like shit, sorry.

• Like 1

Uh oh... Lorraine is gonna want to kick me in the onions for this, but... I listened to the youtube on your post. At 1:37 I HAD to turn it off. That was horrible singing. It was actually not singing, it was weird talking.

But, what the hell do I know? It looked like about 80,000 people in the stadium and they probably paid about $500 - $1,000 each. He still sounds like shit, sorry.

I know he was more talking than singing, but he was never a great singer to begin with. :LOL: :cheers:

Edited by Lorraine

Lololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this recent, Custom? This man puts me to shame. He's 10 years older than me. If I moved like that, I wouldn't be able to move well again for at least a week.

EDIT: Never mind. I see it is from 2015 which would have made him 71. Doesn't matter. He could do at 71 what I still could no longer do at 61,

And Keith is a lot like Jimmy Page. That either one is still alive is a miracle. Keith still is in good shape too. How did these men do it after leading lives of excess for decades? Maybe I should have stayed a boozer and a drugger and a smoker too. :unsure:

I've got absolutely no idea how Keith Richards is still alive.

• Like 1

Was this recent, Custom? This man puts me to shame. He's 10 years older than me. If I moved like that, I wouldn't be able to move well again for at least a week.

EDIT: Never mind. I see it is from 2015 which would have made him 71. Doesn't matter. He could do at 71 what I still could no longer do at 61,

And Keith is a lot like Jimmy Page. That either one is still alive is a miracle. Keith still is in good shape too. How did these men do it after leading lives of excess for decades? Maybe I should have stayed a boozer and a drugger and a smoker too. :unsure:

I've got absolutely no idea how Keith Richards is still alive.

Neither do I. He claims Patti Hansen saved him, but he should have been dead long before he even met her.

Do you like the studio version of that song? Do you like Jagger's voice on any of the live albums he released in his prime? I ask because Jagger has never been a technically good singer. He's a good vocalist, and a phenomenal front man. Like Tyler, Roth, and Ozzy, he has always had a voice that you either like or you don't. I love it. And he doesn't sound too different from how he sounded when I saw him in 1989 or 1994 or 2003. All three shows were awesome IMO. But if you don't like his voice, you wouldn't have liked that clip.

• Like 2

Do you like the studio version of that song? Do you like Jagger's voice on any of the live albums he released in his prime? I ask because Jagger has never been a technically good singer. He's a good vocalist, and a phenomenal front man. Like Tyler, Roth, and Ozzy, he has always had a voice that you either like or you don't. I love it. And he doesn't sound too different from how he sounded when I saw him in 1989 or 1994 or 2003. All three shows were awesome IMO. But if you don't like his voice, you wouldn't have liked that clip.

That's why I don't think he sounds bad at all. He always, more or less, sounded like that.

• Like 2

I've only seen the Stones once. The Steel Wheels tour, at Shea Stadium. Living Color opened and were fantastic.

But Mick was the show for me. The way he sang, danced and moved. Climbing the rigging, walking on his hands.

Best frontman ever. Even Bono took notes from Mick.

I was there also - way way upstairs in the 2nd to last row of the stadium. With a telescope :LOL:

I still have my tour shirt ...30 years old. GAAA! :facepalm:

Edited by librarian
  • Like 2

My last Stones show ( crappy iphone video )... Cannot wait for the next !!!!

I've traveled the world to see this band. :heart:

http://youtu.be/RveXhHCFApo

I forgot you went to this show. That was the first time they played here since 1997. Looks like your seats were on the opposite side of mine. My recent praise of Jagger's stage work and how he still has it all stems from this show.

You live in Buffalo ? Fantastic city there.

You only say that because you don't live here lol. Honestly, they've been doing a lot over the last several years to fix up downtown and the waterfront area and making it so people actually want to go down there and do stuff. It's the first time in my life that downtown hasn't been a complete shithole to go to.

As for Mick's vocals, he talks the words in songs just as much if not more than he sings. He has this odd combo of talking and singing the vocals that very few can pull off. You need a special kind of charisma that very few have in order to do that and not have the majority of people mind too much.

• Like 2

I thought Jagger was a very good singer (studio versions mainly, but he was good live too) right through the 70s. At least he sang in tune. Anything after that... not so much. I saw the Stones at the Target Center in Minneapolis in 1998 or '99 (Jonny Lang opened up) and I was shocked at how poor he sounded. My wife dragged me to the show... so I went. Jonny Lang was far better but guess what? He isn't Mick Jagger. That's where the problem is... people get so overwhelmed and star struck, they ears don't work and they don't hear properly.

The man cannot sing in tune to save his life and I wish the band would stop. Van Halen too... Jesus, they are horrible with Roth TRYING to sing. I could better and I'm serious.

Gordon Downey of the Tragically Hip... EXACT same thing. The last ten years of his life, he sounded horrible. I almost walked out of the show in Thunder Bay. The place had LOTS of empty seats and it only held 3,500 to start with.

Gord was such a GREAT singer (studio AND live) until about 2003 or so... then, horrible. He never sang in tune and destroyed most of their great songs. Yelling is not singing. Sorry.

Gordon Downey of the Tragically Hip... EXACT same thing. The last ten years of his life, he sounded horrible. I almost walked out of the show in Thunder Bay. The place had LOTS of empty seats and it only held 3,500 to start with.

Gord was such a GREAT singer (studio AND live) until about 2003 or so... then, horrible. He never sang in tune and destroyed most of their great songs. Yelling is not singing. Sorry.

I think Gord always sounded like a Michael Stipe copycat. Never cared for the band. Then again I'm not Canadian so I don't have to abide by the law that I must like the Tragically Hip lol.

I'm a huge Stones fan and I admit that Mick doesn't do anything that resembles singing anymore live. But that's nothing new as he's been doing the talking thing live for a long time now. The band still sounds great live. When you wonder why people still pay to see certain bands, you might want to keep in mind that it's not all about hearing the vocals.

OMG what is this American Idol?? The Voice??? Mick Jagger wouldn't last past the first round on those freaking shows! And that is why he is so great. He is one of the best rock singers of all time and certainly top 3 "front men". Rock is not supposed to be about perfection. I am so bored with those perfect pitch singers on the bland shows on TV these days. And maybe video doesn’t properly convey the sound, but I saw them the last time they were in Toronto about 5 years ago and it was one of the best Stones shows I have seen. There is an energy at their live shows that is unequalled elsewhere. It really is unique and probably because the crowd is full of people who grew up with the band. Granted the guy is 75 years old, so pretty much everything is deteriorating on him….well maybe not everything as he has a 2 year old.
  • Like 2

I thought Jagger was a very good singer (studio versions mainly, but he was good live too) right through the 70s. At least he sang in tune. Anything after that... not so much. I saw the Stones at the Target Center in Minneapolis in 1998 or '99 (Jonny Lang opened up) and I was shocked at how poor he sounded. My wife dragged me to the show... so I went. Jonny Lang was far better but guess what? He isn't Mick Jagger. That's where the problem is... people get so overwhelmed and star struck, they ears don't work and they don't hear properly.

The man cannot sing in tune to save his life and I wish the band would stop. Van Halen too... Jesus, they are horrible with Roth TRYING to sing. I could better and I'm serious.

The difference is that not too many of the Stones' songs were ever in a key that Jagger wasn't going to be able to reach as he aged. I agree Roth sounds horrible on the VH live album on some songs. He should be adjusting the key he sings in live. Totally disagree about Jagger. I last saw him in 2003. The show was great. It's not a matter of being star struck or overwhelmed. There's a reason the Stones are who they are. Because of their ability. They still put on a great show, or at least they did in 2003. I hope I get to see them again in 2019.

• Like 3

Don't pass Earl! This is realistically possibly the last time. We can't see the Beatles anymore, so go see the Stones. They have to be better than some of those retro acts you have been seeing lately! LOL And I agree the Mick Taylor years were brilliant. It was great seeing him on stage for a couple of songs last time in Toronto

I would like to know how Charlies Watts can still effectively play the drums. He has to have lost strength in his arms.

Because what he plays isn't that hard honestly. He's a good player but can you actually think of one time where something he played made you say 'wow! How did he do that?'

I know I can't.

• Like 1

I would like to know how Charlies Watts can still effectively play the drums. He has to have lost strength in his arms.

Because what he plays isn't that hard honestly. He's a good player but can you actually think of one time where something he played made you say 'wow! How did he do that?'

I know I can't.

That made me laugh. You're right. He's always been a schleppy player.

What can you do? And what can't you do?