Game of Thrones Season 8! (Spoilers obviously)

Bigbobby10

Are people really that upset about what Dany did that they need an explanation video? Did they only start watching the show this season? If people didn't see it coming then I'm not sure what show they've been watching. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Are people really that upset about what Dany did that they need an explanation video? Did they only start watching the show this season? If people didn't see it coming then I'm not sure what show they've been watching.

I think it's because most people like Dany so it's hard to see her do something terrible. They act like they're shocked because a lot of people have been rooting for her for a while and look past a lot of her flaws. Her heel turn was rushed but it makes sense. She went from crucifying slavers and burning "bad people" in Essos and everyone was totally fine because they were bad. But once she brought those tactics to Westeros, it got you uncomfortable. Especially when she does it in King's Landing. She threatened to burn and destroy cities all through the show because of her birthright. Everyone's had blinders on for a long time.

• Like 2

I wish I could find the blog post George Martin commented on years ago talking about how she was not "good" and how she was selfish, entitled, and ruthless, but we ignored that because she kills slavers and breaks chains. He said it was pretty spot on or "this guy gets it".

This is a good article about why Season 8 feels unfulfilling in some ways . . . It's kind of wordy but makes a good point about how Benioff and Weiss have been telling the story differently than GRRM.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1

I wish I could find the blog post George Martin commented on years ago talking about how she was not "good" and how she was selfish, entitled, and ruthless, but we ignored that because she kills slavers and breaks chains. He said it was pretty spot on or "this guy gets it".

Selfish, entitled and ruthless is always how I've seen her. Surprised so many people missed that. Maybe it was the natural cynic in me but it's been obvious to me for a while who she truly is.

• Like 1

Selfish, entitled and ruthless is always how I've seen her. Surprised so many people missed that. Maybe it was the natural cynic in me but it's been obvious to me for a while who she truly is.

I do get why it was so surprising to people. Her turn was definitely rushed in the last two episodes. Especially given all her rhetoric. If they planted more seeds or showed her grappling more with her madness, that probably would have made it an easier pill to swallow.

• Like 2

I do get why it was so surprising to people. Her turn was definitely rushed in the last two episodes. Especially given all her rhetoric. If they planted more seeds or showed her grappling more with her madness, that probably would have made it an easier pill to swallow.

It’s that shot of her as a blonde white messiah being held aloft by brown ex slaves.

Can’t be more on the nose than that.

I didn't hate this one. Armed with the realisation that this was the end, never mind who's fault it ends so soon, they had a lot to tie up. I liked Daenerys's end, and while her end amounted to an exposition piece explaining her descent, it went in a believable direction when concluded. I expected Drogon to breathe fire on Jon and have him immune, but I like this better.

I like that both Tyrion and Jon were to be executed. The King's Moot was rushed. Sure Sansa insists on a free North, but there's no way that Yara doesn't ask for the same, or whoever represented Dorne. Robin should have had something stupid to say, and Gendry more to say. Especially since he's a Baratheon. Tully was handled perfectly. Tyrion was given too much license to speak by Grey Worm, that stood out.

I like Arya's plan, and I'd watch that spin off in a heart beat. I like Sansa's end. I loved Jon's end.

Bronn being master of coin is a stupid joke that wouldn't happen, but whatever. A little levity at the end. I like Pod as the king's personal guard.

Thought it was out of character for Brienne to write in that book rather than a meister, but then again maybe it was a book for knight's only.

I loved Sam's democratic idea was shot down by everyone, although as Arya's story was peasant driven she should have seconded him. And honestly Gendry and Davos too.

I was satisfied, though, considering the ship already sailed on having a properly written season.

***edit- I realize after review that Brienne's role was in fact exactly that- to write about Jaime's deeds. He told her as much in an much earlier episode. So kudos to that. The show got that exactly right. (Even though they still utterly destroyed his arc)

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 4

The show ended perfectly.

So, so happy.

• Like 1

As a big fan of Arya, I am actually hoping for that possible spinoff, btw.

Obviously if written well...

I wholeheartedly agree that they created a much worse product over the last couple of seasons, and of course they had already practiced that disservice with Dorne, but once you accept that, I do see that Martin likely will get to many of these endings himself. I wish they had the episodes to have done it. Apparently they were offered that chance and turned it down.

All that said, I liked this ending. and I am ultimately happy about it.

So subvert my expectations? Yeah, kind of. I expected to be a bit disappointed or at best tolerant. I thought there was too much to do and it would be too rushed. Well, it was that. Too much and too rushed.

But once accepting that was the way it would be, I liked this. And even in this last season it was still a good show, entertaining and smarter than most. Maybe the actors carried the weight for the writers, but I'll take that. I am a Fantasy geek going back 40 years now, and there's never been anything close to this good in the genre on tv. I will definitely take it.

edit:

I'm all about the addendum lately, it seems.

I hope Hot Pie is on that ship with Arya. And Nymeria. This isn't the books, she can return.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

Is it weird that the dragon is the only one in this finale I felt anything for? Poor thing lost both his brothers and mom. What's he going to do now?

I was so happy with this episode. I really felt for the dragon...wished he'd bonded with Jon it something, anything!

Made me feel really sad

• Like 1

Is it weird that the dragon is the only one in this finale I felt anything for? Poor thing lost both his brothers and mom. What's he going to do now?

I was so happy with this episode. I really felt for the dragon...wished he'd bonded with Jon it something, anything!

Made me feel really sad

I've been certain for over a year that Daenerys would try to burn Jon and the dragon wouldn't be able to hurt him. Absolutely certain.

He's of the line, the 'heir', and a perfect choice to actually break the wheel because he doesn't want the job.

I'm happy with him at the wall, though. That worked beautifully for me. The 'dragon' story line did feel incomplete.

But there are planned spinoffs...

(But I'm more excited for what I hope is an Arya spinoff. Please write it well if it happens!

• Like 1

Jon murders Dany.

No body. How did the Dothraki find out? What happened?!

We were going “oh shit he is f***ed!”

Then- fade out???

To some court/Survivor judging panel set up??? Where they talk about elections and then give the kingdom to a Stark anyway? And NOT SAM?!

Then the unsullied shrug their shoulders “ok!” And f***ing LEAVE.

Complete nonsense.

I have a feeling there will be a sequel with these characters.

Tyrion's "ask me in 10 years" line. Plus, the open ended endings with Grey Worm, Arya, Jon in the North, etc.

• Like 1

Jon murders Dany.

No body. How did the Dothraki find out? What happened?!

We were going “oh shit he is f***ed!”

Then- fade out???

To some court/Survivor judging panel set up??? Where they talk about elections and then give the kingdom to a Stark anyway? And NOT SAM?!

Then the unsullied shrug their shoulders “ok!” And f***ing LEAVE.

Complete nonsense.

You're right on all counts, and hence the divide.

I already made peace with the fact they no longer invest in characters or time and instead hitting all the points. I finally accepted that I'm required to fill in the blanks and accept the landings without seeing the movement. That's a shame, it was a brilliant show.

Nevertheless, I could see how they got where they landed and I liked it on the whole.

When the show was better, those in between moments would have been filled.

• Like 2