Favorite Lifeson guitar and tone?

Planet X-1

Ok, in continuation of all things Lifeson... (and apologies if this was already discussed, I couldn't find it)

What`s your favorite Lifeson sounding guitar, tone, gear or set-up? (inset favorite....)

Mine is whatever he did to record All the World's A Stage. The Les Paul he configured is forever my favorite...it's why I wanted to pick up a guitar...the best I could do was buying a stock Gibson HR Fusion and Marshall)

Next?

:)

I'm going to agree with you, the P/G tone is my favorite. Also, your characterization of the tone is exactly how I feel about it. I said years ago that that P/G was a cold album, and a Cold War album. And the tone was so consistent across the entire album, as well.
  • Like 1

As with best solo is hard to pinpoint a fav sound of Al could make a case for a dozen albums but i'll throw in Counterparts for that extra juice he pumped in, such a rich and exotic feel to it
  • Like 2

I like that he was one of the few in the '70's to crank out such and awesome sound out of a semi-hollow body. Not most people's choice for fronting a hard rock band.
  • Like 2

Reading everyone's posts helped me narrow down my favorites. In chronological order...

Caress of Steel & 2112

PWaves & Moving Pictures

GUP

Presto

Snakes & Arrows

• Like 1

It was only seemingly used for just one song and an obscure one at that but I've always really liked his tone during the solo (and the solo itself) in No-one At The Bridge. In later interviews he said it was heavily influenced by Steve Hackett
  • Like 1

PeW. Perfection.

Some of his best.

To me this is the best overall-sounding album Rush/Broon produced. I like the guitar sound, but the bass and drums sound so good, the guitar just becomes a part of the arrangement (which is the idea I guess)

can't beat the white 76(?) 355. Think about it...that's the one guitar that he's kept and goes back to all the time.

Classic sound and look...(this is classic Lifeson, and would be my favorite if there was a topic....hhmmmm ;) )

62165c2a88a76fda4fff3c7b0d97693e.jpg

(edit: silly gramma)

Edited by Planet X-1

For me it is the tone he achieves on Hemispheres. I have to add that I love the raw sound he had on AFTK, but his tone on Hemispheres with the ES-355 and the Marshall is unmatched, IMO.
  • Like 1