Appreciation for the Time Machine DVD encore

toymaker

I watched this show on the weekend and was digging it quite well, but I'd really forgotten how devastatingly great the encore performances of La Villa Strangiato and Working Man are. Whatever you might say about the playful polka intro, once they get into it it's pretty much a perfect performance. And the unrestrained fury of the lead break in Working Man, where Alex is searching for the lost guitar frets of the cosmos, and that thunderous ending where Peart has that manic look on his face and raises his fists as if to say I ran out of drums but I f***ing need to hit something...its enough to make even the crankiest atheist say Holy Sweet Christ and His Almighty Dad, that was Truly Awesome. Edited by toymaker
  • Like 7

I agree, its my second favorite live version of Working Man ever put on a live record. First being the version on All The World's A Stage, nothing can beat that one!

And I also must say I really enjoy the intro to Working Man on the Time Machine version! So cool!

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 1

I watch that concert a lot - certainly watch the Moving Pictures set a lot - and I think the polka stuff is funny. I love how amused the guys are, and then how quickly they switch focus to deliver versions of La Villa Strangiato and Working Man with really brutal power.
  • Like 1

The La Villa polka intro is great but I hate the reggae version of Working Man. Geddy's fake Jamaican accent is so cringeworthy.

He doesn't really do the accented singing on this version, though. He just sings it kind of chilled out.

I should go back and relisten to it. I don't listen to TMT often because Geddys vocals were noticeably terrible on that show, especially early on.

The vocals aren't bad throughout, just early on as you say. I think the best thing to have done would have been tune down the instruments, as when Geddy gets it right he still sounded great. He nails Working Man.

I was there! Even though Geddy had a bad cold it was an excellent show. Working Man is just phenomenal.

TMT was one of my favorite tours, and I dare say they might have been at their peak. So incredibly tight, loose and fun if they want - La Villa - and with such power - Working Man.

• Like 1