Favourite Alex solo?

IbanezJem

Alex didn't get to be tied for my favorite guitarists without an unprecedented number of my favorite guitar solos, but some that always stand out to me:

Soliloquy

Limelight

YYZ

La Villa

Xanadu

Freewill

The Analog Kid

Cannot fault those choices. Surprise me - Alex is tied with...?

EVH for me (undervalued as a rhythm guitarist), only other guitarist with Alex who creates riffs I could listen to out of the song context. Vai for stunt guitar. Satriani for melody. My answers were pretty much the same in 1990, which shows either I am completely stuck or that it's the only thing I was right about as a teenager.

For me, Alex has too many solos that are great and beyond description - tricky, nuanced, soulful, or just plain out ripping it up (Necromancer).

Analog Kid

Kid Gloves

Digital Man

....anything off of ATWAS...

Wow...

:D

• Like 1

Yeah wayy too many the guy master of the rock solo and rock guitar itself his imagination with his instrument pretty limitless he really is like a great abstract artist using sound instead of paint, can't have a fav but can point to these more abstract solos as particularly representative of his unique 'style' - two of top of my head from Marathon and Time & Motion for instance. No other guitarist has done, or ever will, assemble such beautiful pieces

Of course there’s the obvious choices such as La Villa, Freewill, Tom Sawyer (still f***ing love that solo), etc.

But two of my fav non-traditional solos are from GUP:

Afterimage and Kid Gloves...amazing use of chords (which to me is more difficult than shredding) on both of those.

Edited by theredtamasrule
  • Like 2

I should copy and paste many of these comments about "Afterimage" or "Kid Gloves" into the P/G thread! That album is great, and I guess I still don't understand why it's supposedly "the synth era" of the band. I get they used them more, but that came out of Geddy's share more than Alex's, and Alex kept producing great solos.
  • Like 1

I should copy and paste many of these comments about "Afterimage" or "Kid Gloves" into the P/G thread! That album is great, and I guess I still don't understand why it's supposedly "the synth era" of the band. I get they used them more, but that came out of Geddy's share more than Alex's, and Alex kept producing great solos.

P/G is more guitar-heavy than Signals, imo.
  • Like 1

There are so many but the one thing that I like about Alex Lifeson's solos is they tend to be atonal and don't follow the melody hence adding that dramatic tension that makes Rush so amazing. When I first heard Freewill the middle section sounded like each member of the band was playing a different song but it all gels together. It has always amazed me how Alex has done that live over the years..

Solo section of Freewill reminds of what Cream used to do except its over in a minute not half an hour.
  • Like 3

P/G is more guitar-heavy than Signals, imo.

I agree. That said, side 1 of Signals has a great guitar solo in every song.

• Like 2

The solo where all the notes on the guitar tab end up with a shape that looks exactly like my silhouette. It's THE TREES but I had to change a few notes to match it up exactly and now it sounds a bit more like it should be called TREEDUCK. So the answer is ME, I am the best solo Alex ever produced! Who would have thought that?? I'm a solo, I'm a solo!
  • Like 3

The solo where all the notes on the guitar tab end up with a shape that looks exactly like my silhouette. It's THE TREES but I had to change a few notes to match it up exactly and now it sounds a bit more like it should be called TREEDUCK. So the answer is ME, I am the best solo Alex ever produced! Who would have thought that?? I'm a solo, I'm a solo!

I'm guessing this is what you really look like....:P

http://livedoor.3.blogimg.jp/insidears/imgs/9/1/91b19947.gif

• Like 2

I'm guessing this is what you really look like.... :P

http://livedoor.3.blogimg.jp/insidears/imgs/9/1/91b19947.gif

Very close to that yes. :hail: