Favourite Alex solo?

IbanezJem

Either the solo at the end of Mission or the end of The Garden. Both of them fit the songs more then perfectly.

The one at the end of The Garden is a tear-jerker.

I said it years ago and I'll say it again - what a song to end a 40+ year career on. Don't care much for CA, but The Garden is a masterpiece.

• Like 3

Either the solo at the end of Mission or the end of The Garden. Both of them fit the songs more then perfectly.

I said it years ago and I'll say it again - what a song to end a 40+ year career on. Don't care much for CA, but The Garden is a masterpiece.

I am not sure if The Garden would be as big a tearjerker if it were Track 5 on Vapor Trails, but when you know it is literally their last song, I find it hard not to feel emotional, every time, especially during Alex's solo. I love the lyrics too...it's very moving.
  • Like 1

I am not sure if The Garden would be as big a tearjerker if it were Track 5 on Vapor Trails, but when you know it is literally their last song, I find it hard not to feel emotional, every time, especially during Alex's solo. I love the lyrics too...it's very moving.

It's a very emotional song.

And that guitar just grabs me.

I love watching the video of it from the CA tour. The CA Ensemble really add to it.

• Like 2

I love watching the video of it from the CA tour. The CA Ensemble really add to it.

I have to skip it sometimes, like when at work...it really should be listened to intently, not just playing in the background whilst you do something boring. It deserves attention. And I don't really want to listen to it sometimes as I don't want to feel like Rush are done...
  • Like 3

Another for La Villa though Limelight and Red Barchetta are close behind. RB because the solo so fits the narrative of the song; moves it along perfectly. That was one of the (many) great things about Golden Age Rush; every song was so distinct.

Of non-Golden Age Rush, I really love the solo in The Larger Bowl and the guitar throughout The Main Monkey Business.

• Like 1

I have to skip it sometimes, like when at work...it really should be listened to intently, not just playing in the background whilst you do something boring. It deserves attention. And I don't really want to listen to it sometimes as I don't want to feel like Rush are done...

It’s hard for me to watch the end of “Time Stand Still” and listen to The Garden without losing it.

• Like 2

L.A. Villa,Limelight,Bravado,Marathon,Avaidable Light,Nobody’s Hero,The Garden but absolute fave Between the Wheels
  • Like 3

There are so many but the one thing that I like about Alex Lifeson's solos is they tend to be atonal and don't follow the melody hence adding that dramatic tension that makes Rush so amazing. When I first heard Freewill the middle section sounded like each member of the band was playing a different song but it all gels together. It has always amazed me how Alex has done that live over the years..
  • Like 4

There are so many but the one thing that I like about Alex Lifeson's solos is they tend to be atonal and don't follow the melody hence adding that dramatic tension that makes Rush so amazing. When I first heard Freewill the middle section sounded like each member of the band was playing a different song but it all gels together. It has always amazed me how Alex has done that live over the years..

Atonal is probably not the best word, perhaps abstract? But the jam section in Freewill is probably the best example of what you're describing. When they all just cut loose in coordinated chaos, bombastic beatitudes, synchronized anarchy. Those moments make me a RUSH fan.

The guitar solo in Anthem is pretty wicked... and he was only 21 then. Not too shabby.
  • Like 4

Some of my absolute favorite solos and guitar parts... (particularly the live versions) Marathon, Bravado, The Larger Bowl, La Villa, Mystic Rhythms, Animate, Leave that Thing Alone, The Garden, and of course... Limelight. (and I love the ending solo variation he did on Witch Hunt, at the Time Machine Cleveland show) Edited by Cmutt

Damn it, I forgot the solo in La Villa. That might be the best rock guitar solo in history. It has everything in it.

Also, the solo in Freewill... on his white ES355. Flat out.

• Like 1

Alex didn't get to be tied for my favorite guitarists without an unprecedented number of my favorite guitar solos, but some that always stand out to me:

Soliloquy

Limelight

YYZ

La Villa

Xanadu

Freewill

The Analog Kid

• Like 1

Alex didn't get to be tied for my favorite guitarists without an unprecedented number of my favorite guitar solos, but some that always stand out to me:

Soliloquy

Limelight

YYZ

La Villa

Xanadu

Freewill

The Analog Kid

Cannot fault those choices. Surprise me - Alex is tied with...?

EVH for me (undervalued as a rhythm guitarist), only other guitarist with Alex who creates riffs I could listen to out of the song context. Vai for stunt guitar. Satriani for melody. My answers were pretty much the same in 1990, which shows either I am completely stuck or that it's the only thing I was right about as a teenager.

• Like 1

Different Strings

ooo really thinking out of the box on that one. like it.

A couple cool ones for me. The solo on Bastille Day, especially on ATWAS. That's the first track I heard them and I was blown away that they changed keys about 5 times in the middle of the solo.

The other is Bravado for the 'less is more' effect. Very much like The Edge and fit the song perfectly without a bunch of overkill.

• Like 2

Soliloquy

Limelight

YYZ

La Villa

Xanadu

Freewill

The Analog Kid

Cannot fault those choices. Surprise me - Alex is tied with...?

EVH for me (undervalued as a rhythm guitarist), only other guitarist with Alex who creates riffs I could listen to out of the song context. Vai for stunt guitar. Satriani for melody. My answers were pretty much the same in 1990, which shows either I am completely stuck or that it's the only thing I was right about as a teenager.

Brian May

• Like 2