My new job...

Nate1647

Hey all, I'm super stoked to be able to officially say that I'm now the drummer for the Cherry Poppin' Daddies! I know they are a band NOTHING like Rush, but I was so excited I had to post somewhere lol. I was in a pretty serious prog band up until about 2011, and then I fell out of drumming. I actually just started playing a few months ago, just in time to prepare for the drum audition for the band, and miraculously, they picked me! The funny thing is that I think I owe it to Neil and Rush for keeping my chops up while not actually playing drums. Rush has basically been the only band I've listened since I quit playing :Neil: :Neil: :Neil:

So yeah, super happy to be playing drums again, and even happier to have a spot with a decently known band!

• Like 12

Congratulations, on becoming the new drummer job for the band, and group "Cherry Poppin' Daddies", Nate. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

https://www.ragincaj...ishjamboree.com

April 6, Redondo Beach, CA. Eat some crawfish and say hello to Nate!

I can honestly say I've never eaten crawfish, but I love seafood, so this gig has me pretty excited lol.

And thank you everyone! I'm really excited!

Redondo is beautiful, too.

Congrats again!

Congratulations, Nate! My husband and I go to the occasional swing dance and the Cherry Poppin' Daddies are always great to listen and dance to. What a great position to have! :ebert: :ebert:

Nate since Cherry Poppin' Daddies is a ska-swing band and you're into RUSH and like progressive-rock, you can incorporate Neil Peart's Grammy nominated drum solo 'O Baterista' into the set.

Listen at around the 7:24 mark to the end as 'O Baterista' has elements of jazz-swing incorporated into the arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQ-yZt_tFA

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

Congratulations on becoming the drummer of a band i've never heard of lol.

Here you go.

Their most well-known album, from 1997.

And, last year at Tony's Garage...

Thanks everyone! To be honest, I only knew about 2 or 3 of their songs before starting to learn the audition material :facepalm:

I've already started to insert some Neil style fills in certain places (I just can't help myself) :oops:

The thing I failed to realize about the band is just how many different styles and genres they incorporate. I've had to learn a lot of new little grooves and go way outside my comfort zone, which is quite satisfying!

Edited by Nate1647
  • Like 3

Congrats Nate. Prog can be overly serious and dry at times, but this looks like a fun gig where you can improvise and get your groove on.

:yes:

Very fun music to play.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! To be honest, I only knew about 2 or 3 of their songs before starting to learn the audition material :facepalm:

I've already started to insert some Neil style fills in certain places (I just can't help myself) :oops:

The thing I failed to realize about the band is just how many different styles and genres they incorporate. I've had to learn a lot of new little grooves and go way outside my comfort zone, which is quite satisfying!

IMO the measure of a musician is how well they can translate between genres. No one plays one genre who is worth their weight. The fact you're able to pick things up that quick means you got "it", probably no mistake they picked you.