Geddy Lee in upcoming CBC documentary about London, ON music scene

RushFanForever

Check out the CBC article below with the preview clip featuring Geddy Lee.

The secret musical history of London, Ont.

The clip with Geddy Lee can also be previewed here.

Jack Richardson was the producer of Max Webster's fifth and final 1980 album Universal Juveniles, which included 'Battle Scar' featuring RUSH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fShR3KQ82G8

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Being a 57 year old frost-bitten Canuck, I can remember back when the only Canadian musicians or bands who did anything south of the border were The Guess Who, BTO, Ann Murray and Gordon Lightfoot. Then, Rush popped in 1976 - `77.

We`ve had a ton of Canadian bands who never got anywhere outside of Canada and I honestly think it was because they were always trying to write hits. Chilliwack, Prism, Honeymoon Suite, Haywire, The Spoons, Trooper and Rough Trade would be good examples of that. But, starting in the late 70s, arena rock bands like Rush, Saga and Triumph did well in the USA and abroad.

Since then, Celine Dion, Alanis Morrisette, Shania Twain and Bryan Adams all broken through with huge numbers. I think we can thank bands like Rush, The Guess Who and BTO for showing US-based labels, promoters and radio stations that we do have some pretty wicked talent up here.

Um... I`m not going to mention a certain punk from a small city close to London, Ontario. I don`t like that little ass.

• Like 1

Dang it!! II was hoping he’d be in a documentary about the New London, CT music scene.

You mean the raging Bank St Cafe? How bout the El? Oh wait...gone. Stash's? Oh wait....gone. Looks like you're stuck with fruits at the Hygenic, or old farts across the river under the moose at Sneakers...

Dang it!! II was hoping he’d be in a documentary about the New London, CT music scene.

You mean the raging Bank St Cafe? How bout the El? Oh wait...gone. Stash's? Oh wait....gone. Looks like you're stuck with fruits at the Hygenic, or old farts across the river under the moose at Sneakers...

Maybe Bill’s Seafood down the road a bit?

Being a 57 year old frost-bitten Canuck, I can remember back when the only Canadian musicians or bands who did anything south of the border were The Guess Who, BTO, Ann Murray and Gordon Lightfoot. Then, Rush popped in 1976 - `77.

We`ve had a ton of Canadian bands who never got anywhere outside of Canada and I honestly think it was because they were always trying to write hits. Chilliwack, Prism, Honeymoon Suite, Haywire, The Spoons, Trooper and Rough Trade would be good examples of that. But, starting in the late 70s, arena rock bands like Rush, Saga and Triumph did well in the USA and abroad.

Since then, Celine Dion, Alanis Morrisette, Shania Twain and Bryan Adams all broken through with huge numbers. I think we can thank bands like Rush, The Guess Who and BTO for showing US-based labels, promoters and radio stations that we do have some pretty wicked talent up here.

Um... I`m not going to mention a certain punk from a small city close to London, Ontario. I don`t like that little ass.

Honeymoon Suite!!! WOW!!! Now, that is a blast form the past :o ... I really liked that band... In any event, if only one band ever made it out of Canada famous, my vote would be for RUSH... :rush: Edited by tks95747

There was a guy in radio, down in Texas, Joe Anthony who took a shine to a lot of seventies rock bands from Canada. Rush, Triumph, Moxy, Goddo, Helix, Killer Dwarfs all got exposure because of him. Didn't break the bands nationally but it was still a cool thing.

Randy Bachman (b. 1943) and Neil Young (b. 1945) are long time friends who've known one another since the late 50's from their roots in Winnipeg, MB.

Young left Winnipeg and moved to Los Angeles in the mid 60's. See Buffalo Springfield wikipedia entry here about this.

Then The Guess Who left Canada in the late 60's to see fame and fortune in England, which didn't work out. They returned to Canada and things started happening.

In The Band, there was four Canadians: Rick Danko (bass guitar, vocals, fiddle), Garth Hudson (keyboards, accordion, saxophone), Richard Manuel (keyboards, drums, vocals), Robbie Robertson (guitar, vocals) and one American; Levon Helm (drums, vocals, mandolin, guitar). All the members were touring the United States in the mid 60's as Bob Dylan's backing band.

The late Zal Yanovsky (from Toronto) co-founded Lovin' Spoonful with John Sebastian in 1964 as a recording and touring band.

Joni Mitchell moved to the United States from Toronto in 1965 and began her recording and touring career.

These above music acts sought out musical success in the United States way before RUSH did.

Edited by RushFanForever

There was a guy in radio, down in Texas, Joe Anthony who took a shine to a lot of seventies rock bands from Canada. Rush, Triumph, Moxy, Goddo, Helix, Killer Dwarfs all got exposure because of him. Didn't break the bands nationally but it was still a cool thing.

Is this where I admit to owning 6 Killer Dwarfs CDs and a few on vinyl?