Rush Tribute Bands

Thunder Bay Rush

I have seen quite a few (at least 20, although there are hundreds) Rush tribute bands and some of them are surprisingly good. Lotus Land, for example, some might say sounds better than Rush. And, when I say "good" I mean they sound great, but also in how much money they spend on equipment, stage sets (I've seen backdrop videos screens, dry ice, lazer lights, flash pots and mechanical drum risers).

I'm honestly not sure why these people do it... other than for their own satisfaction I suppose. Some of these bands have near identical drum sets (electronic drums and samplers included), double-neck Gibson guitars, double-neck Rickenbackers with bass and guitar, Taurus pedals, similar keyboards to what Geddy has used over the years... on and on. All this gear would cost MANY thousands... I shudder to think of the actual financial invest required to pull this off.

Then, there's the time off work and the travelling costs to play out of town gigs. I've never heard of any REALLY big Rush Tribute bands at the level of the Pink Floyd Experience where they can headline a 3,000 seat theater and actually make a few bucks.

Add in the rehearsal time... All this to play in a bar that brings in a whopping 150 people, mostly who are friends and family of the band in a lot of cases.

WHY do they do it?

• Like 1

I would guess that they do it because it brings them joy, and gives them opportunities to play for responsive audiences that they wouldn’t get otherwise. One can be a great player but not have much songwriting ability (or vice-versa). I recall a member of a tribute band who used to post here saying something along the lines that they had written music of their own but just wasn’t good enough at it to make for a career. If you love to play an instrument and are good enough at it to play Rush songs well but don’t love your own material, I imagine it feels pretty good to get onstage and have your skills appreciated.

Is it really so different from playing in an orchestra performing music that was written hundreds of years ago?

• Like 1

I've played in a couple. I did it because I love the music and love the challenge of trying to pull it off.
  • Like 1

I didn't play in a Rush Tribute band, but when we were playing the clubs we always included three or four Rush songs in our set. We did it because it is simply a blast to do it. Rush's songs are some of the most difficult to reproduce so we always considered it a challenge, not to mention the fact that the crowd loved to hear Rush probably more than any of the cover tunes we played.
  • Like 1

Mystic Rhythms from New Jersey was able to sell out the Paramount Theatre in Long Island, NY which is a decent 1500 seat middle of the market venue.
  • Like 2

I have seen quite a few (at least 20, although there are hundreds) Rush tribute bands and some of them are surprisingly good. Lotus Land, for example, some might say sounds better than Rush. And, when I say "good" I mean they sound great, but also in how much money they spend on equipment, stage sets (I've seen backdrop videos screens, dry ice, lazer lights, flash pots and mechanical drum risers).

I'm honestly not sure why these people do it... other than for their own satisfaction I suppose. Some of these bands have near identical drum sets (electronic drums and samplers included), double-neck Gibson guitars, double-neck Rickenbackers with bass and guitar, Taurus pedals, similar keyboards to what Geddy has used over the years... on and on. All this gear would cost MANY thousands... I shudder to think of the actual financial invest required to pull this off.

Then, there's the time off work and the travelling costs to play out of town gigs. I've never heard of any REALLY big Rush Tribute bands at the level of the Pink Floyd Experience where they can headline a 3,000 seat theater and actually make a few bucks.

Add in the rehearsal time... All this to play in a bar that brings in a whopping 150 people, mostly who are friends and family of the band in a lot of cases.

WHY do they do it?

Why not?

I play in a band that has a 1.5-hour Rush tribute set in our back pocket. Clubs and fans want to hear it, and its a chance to pull in a cool grand plus a free dinner for something I'd do for free. Not like you can hear the music played live by the originators anymore.

Why do you suppose huge symphonies cover Mozart?

• Like 1

I agree with all the comments so far and they are mostly obvious replies. I guess my main point is about the COST! The amount of cash these guys drop on just the equipment would be enough to make me wanna say, "Okay, this isn't quite THAT fun!!"

BUT - If a band (like Mystic Rhythms apparently) can sell out a 1,500 seater... that's a different story altogether. Good for them!!!

I've been chastised on these boards before for saying it, but I would never go see a Rush tribute band..... just not something that I feel would ever give me any satisfaction, closure, etc.

I've seen a few Pink Floyd tribute acts (Australian Pink Floyd, Brit Floyd, The Machine) and I can only take them in small increments....

The only tribute act I saw that was AMAZING was the Genesis tribute act The Musical Box! THEY were off the charts amazing, and it was more like a "theatrical" production since they re-created the entire Lamb Lies Down on Broadway show! OMG I felt like I was at a genesis show!

I used to jam with a few local guys that played in several local bar bands that would just take a day, and jam through Rush, Floyd, Genesis, UK, Grateful Dead, Yes, etc. on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when we were bored... have a few beers, and just have a blast. None of us ever wanted to do the tribute thing, but we just had fun playing the music.

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of Rush cover bands both live and on YouTube. Some are really spot-on (Lotus Land) and some are just OK. A couple were awful. Rush isn't really an image/personality act like say KISS or DLR era Van Halen or Aerosmith so I cringe at some of the bands who try too hard to impersonate Rush. You can almost sell a 'Rush tribute band starter kit': It includes an African hat for the drummer an off the shelf black Fender Jazz for the bassist/singer and a "blah blah blah" t-shirt and Geddy style dark glasses.

The thing that generally makes or breaks a Rush cover band is the singer. Too many of them aren't singing so much as they are trying to mimic someone else's voice and it often sounds phony and bad.

• Like 1

For those of you who have not seen this one, check it out. You'll be shocked at HOW much these guys sound like Rush. This one was done in a studio so they can get the exact sound they want and record it, and holy shit... While you're watching, check out the gear and imagine what it all must cost!!

I agree with all the comments so far and they are mostly obvious replies. I guess my main point is about the COST! The amount of cash these guys drop on just the equipment would be enough to make me wanna say, "Okay, this isn't quite THAT fun!!"

BUT - If a band (like Mystic Rhythms apparently) can sell out a 1,500 seater... that's a different story altogether. Good for them!!!

Do you imagine that many musicians with the talent to play Rush don't ALREADY own instruments, amps, PA gear, etc?

• Like 1

For those of you who have not seen this one, check it out. You'll be shocked at HOW much these guys sound like Rush. This one was done in a studio so they can get the exact sound they want and record it, and holy shit... While you're watching, check out the gear and imagine what it all must cost!!

Spendy indeed but i imagine its a labor of love and they consider am investment in their happiness???

People drop tons of money on motorcycles,cars,rvs,bicycles,yachts etc etc

Musical mid life crisis, who the hell knows.

I dont even play but if i had the cash i would have to get a double neck rickenbacker....

Do you imagine that many musicians with the talent to play Rush don't ALREADY own instruments, amps, PA gear, etc?

Of course, musicians already have instruments and amplification. But, most of these bands have had to buy more specific and very expensive gear in order to be able to play Rush. For example, the Gibson SG style double-neck guitar pushes $5,000. A regular Les Paul or Strat that a lot of people used could be bought used for $500...

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure these guys were up in Jay Peak, VT when my family was up there for a hockey tournament last year. They played at our hotel. One of the other parents and I went downstairs to check them out. Pretty good size crowd for such a remote area. They were entertaining.

Of course, musicians already have instruments and amplification. But, most of these bands have had to buy more specific and very expensive gear in order to be able to play Rush. For example, the Gibson SG style double-neck guitar pushes $5,000. A regular Les Paul or Strat that a lot of people used could be bought used for $500...

Bwaa-haaa! Dude, just stop. No one needs a specialized double-neck to play "Xanadu".

Bwaa-haaa! Dude, just stop. No one needs a specialized double-neck to play "Xanadu".

The goalpost is moving. The discussion isn't about whether a specific guitar is needed, only that players in some bands bands that want to deliver as authentic a show as possible may shell out money to acquire instruments that look the part. Do you agree or disagree with that statement?

I saw KRush a couple times and loved it. Excellent musicians and Kenny (haven't seen him around here lately) pulls off the singing really well. Will have to start watching out for their next Baltimore appearance.

The goalpost is moving. The discussion isn't about whether a specific guitar is needed, only that players in some bands bands that want to deliver as authentic a show as possible may shell out money to acquire instruments that look the part. Do you agree or disagree with that statement?

The statement was:

But, most of these bands have had to buy more specific and very expensive gear in order to be able to play Rush

This is silly and simply untrue.

• Like 2

The statement was:

But, most of these bands have had to buy more specific and very expensive gear in order to be able to play Rush

To simply play Rush, okay, you might not need a lot of specialized gear. But, to play Rush properly and to put on a tribute level show where people are paying to see the show, sorry, but you DO need specialized gear.

kRush even has clothes dryers on stage...

The statement was:

To simply play Rush, okay, you might not need a lot of specialized gear. But, to play Rush properly and to put on a tribute level show where people are paying to see the show, sorry, but you DO need specialized gear.

kRush even has clothes dryers on stage...

Dude.....I've made thousands doing Rush tribute sets. I don't own a double-neck or a decorative clothes dryer. Again, you've no clue what you're going on about.

• Like 1

If you can play the music well with the same vibe, inspiration and enthusiasm as the the real thing, then I'm interested. I've seen kids in School Of Rock who I liked better than a few tribute bands who sound like they just put the needle down on Moving Pictures.

I don't need props or lookalike soundalikes who play the song straight off of the record. The music is still alive and if that doesn't come across than it's useless to me.

That's why NY/NJ based Power Windows was so good...they played the songs pretty much note for note but they had such a good energy and vibe and their guitarist Zach wasn't just doing an imitation of Lifeson , he would put a little of his own spin on the solos and show some individual personality.
  • Like 2