Test For Echo Tour

YYZumbi

I was just watching the Test For Echo concert video blu ray from the R40 box set. And I just want to say, that I really think Rush was at their peak when it comes to live concerts during this time. At least when it comes to Geddy's voice. Just listen to 2112, I am getting goosebumps every time I hear this version! Geddy was singing like it was his last day, his voice is just insane! And this is also my favorite 2112 version, its even better then the studio version in my opinion!

Now I have a couple of questions to you guys!

Who agrees with me that Rush was at their peak when it comes to live concerts during this time? (They was NOT at their peak when it comes to studio records, so no point in even mention that!)

Who agrees with me that Geddy's voice is insane during 2112 on this concert video?

Who agrees with me that this is the best 2112 version?

• Like 3

I saw them three times on that tour. Crowd at the Molson amphitheater was the shittiest crowd I've ever been a part of at a rock show. Even when I saw Billy Joel the crowd was more enthusiastic and he's one of those people everyone sits down for
  • Like 1

I saw them three times on that tour. Crowd at the Molson amphitheater was the shittiest crowd I've ever been a part of at a rock show. Even when I saw Billy Joel the crowd was more enthusiastic and he's one of those people everyone sits down for

But didn't you think it was a good concert? I always liked Molson a lot .

• Like 1

Yeah, they sounded great all three times. The Rush crowds in Ontario Canada are awful though. They take Rush for granted. Seen them three times up there (T4E, Clockwork Angels and R40) nintey percent of the crowd couldn't have cared less and acted like they wanted to be anywhere else but seeing Rush.

• Like 2

The T4E tour was amazing! I saw them twice on that tour, once in Portland (Vancouver?) and the other was the famous gig at the Gorge that so inspired Neil.

The tour was the first of the "Evening with..." format.

• Like 5

I saw 6 shows on the T4E tour and they were all superb!!! Never will forget that feeling when I realised that they're doing the whole 2112 suite. Epic!!! The "Evening with..." format was the icing on the cake!

I agree that the Toronto crowds (both nights) were a bit lame.

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 2

I was at the first show of the tour in Albany. The set list and tour was good (albeit for a really uninspiring album) and Geddys voice hadn't started to strain and crack yet. I think R30 was the last tour before his vocals started to really fall apart

I saw 6 shows on the T4E tour and they were all superb!!! Never will forget that feeling when I realised that they're doing the whole 2112 suite. Epic!!! The "Evening with..." format was the icing on the cake!

I only went the second night in Toronto. Crowd stood up and cheered when they first came out and immediately sat down. They did the same any time they played a hit. Most of them seemed to have never heard 2112 past Temples or Natural Science before. Worst concert crowd I've ever been in. Embarrassing.

My dad was as dumbfounded by it as my brother and I were. He had been going to rock concerts for 30 years at that point and said he never saw a crowd reaction for the headliner that timid. It was like 15,000 people were all attending their first rock show together and weren't sure what to do.

They did not deserve the awesome performance Rush put on for them.

• Like 1

I only went the second night in Toronto. Crowd stood up and cheered when they first came out and immediately sat down. They did the same any time they played a hit. Most of them seemed to have never heard 2112 past Temples or Natural Science before. Worst concert crowd I've ever been in. Embarrassing.

My dad was as dumbfounded by it as my brother and I were. He had been going to rock concerts for 30 years at that point and said he never saw a crowd reaction for the headliner that timid. It was like 15,000 people were all attending their first rock show together and weren't sure what to do.

They did not deserve the awesome performance Rush put on for them.

Yeah, as I said they were a bit lame (to put it mildly)!

For me personally it was still an overwhelming experience. I saw Rush in their hometown and they played their asses off! There were so many great songs in the set and the performances I saw, were all brilliant! Awesome, unforgettable trips!

• Like 2

Yeah, they sounded great all three times. The Rush crowds in Ontario Canada are awful though. They take Rush for granted. Seen them three times up there (T4E, Clockwork Angels and R40) nintey percent of the crowd couldn't have cared less and acted like they wanted to be anywhere else but seeing Rush.

Total BULLSHIT,, I have seen a lot of shows, as i live in Ontario, talk about something you know about, Dude!!!!!
  • Like 1

Total BULLSHIT,, I have seen a lot of shows, as i live in Ontario, talk about something you know about, Dude!!!!!

Happy Birthday, mate! :cheers:

I saw both of the Toronto shows and from my memory those crowds weren't too enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, but the crowd in Montreal a few days earlier was something else! That show had that all around magical mood and feeling!

I never said that you specifically take them for granted. But at the three shows I went to the bulk of the people couldn't care less. That's who I'm talking about. I have three experiences of seeing the band up there that prove my point. I even have someone backing me up on that in this thread.

For the record, I have been to dozens of shows in Ontario before. The Stones, Aerosmith, Maiden, Dream Theater. I've seen a number of smaller venue shows in Toronto as well. All of them had great, enthusiastic crowds. Except for Rush. Easily the dirt worst crowd reaction I ever saw up there was the second night of the T4E tour at the Molson amphitheater. The shows on the Clockwork tour in Hamilton and R40 in Toronto were a bit better but not anything too great.

But you're right. I'm not talking about something I know.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I never said that you specifically take them for granted. But at the three shows I went to the bulk of the people couldn't care less. That's who I'm talking about. I have three experiences of seeing the band up there that prove my point. I even have someone backing me up on that in this thread.

For the record, I have been to dozens of shows in Ontario before. The Stones, Aerosmith, Maiden, Dream Theater. I've seen a number of smaller venue shows in Toronto as well. All of them had great, enthusiastic crowds. Except for Rush. Easily the dirt worst crowd reaction I ever saw up there was the second night of the T4E tour at the Molson amphitheater. The shows on the Clockwork tour in Hamilton and R40 in Toronto were a bit better but not anything too great.

I have not seen other Canadian shows to compare, so I'm not sure if I'm backin' you up here.

Most of the Rush shows I've seen were GA and compared to these, Toronto was a lame crowd. But those shows were earlier in their career and had a fractional amount of people in attendance. I remember seeing them in a gym in Eppelheim with 1,500 and in Nürnberg with 700 people in attendance. Those crowds were killing it!

• Like 1

Now I have a couple of questions to you guys!

Who agrees with me that Rush was at their peak when it comes to live concerts during this time? (They was NOT at their peak when it comes to studio records, so no point in even mention that!)

Who agrees with me that Geddy's voice is insane during 2112 on this concert video?

Who agrees with me that this is the best 2112 version?

Don't agree to the first question. It was their fourth or fifth peak in my book. :D-13:

Fully agree to the second question.

His singing at the San Antonio show (1996) was insane too, totally out of this world!

Don't agree to the third one. There are too many boot versions that I prefer, not to forget that I had to deal with the ATWAS version for many long years. So that one is closely related to my inside.

• Like 1

When I lived in Abbotsford, out of the six times I saw Rush, in concert in person, I went to, and was at their "Test For Echo Tour" in Vancouver on, and in May 16, 1997. Overall, I thought they were fantastic. What made it even better was that they didn't have a backup band, and group as it was their first time, with them. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

When I lived in Abbotsford, out of the six times I saw Rush, in concert in person, I went to, and was at their "Test For Echo World Tour" in Vancouver on, and in May 16, 1997. Overall, I thought they were fantastic. What made it even better was they didn't have a backup band, and group as it was their first time, with them.

Great that you saw them back then, but Derek, T4E wasn't a World Tour.

Last tour in Europe was Roll The Bones and the next stop didn't happen until 12 years later with R30.

I'm glad that I had the chance and a bunch of luck, to make it to, three shows of the 1996, and three shows of the 1997 leg.

Here's the thing - as a person from Toronto that attended all those Rush shows you're talking about - you are correct when you say we aren't a loud enthusiastic audience compared to American audiences. To say we're disinterested is not accurate. If we were not interested, we wouldn't spend the money or time to attend the shows. You're projecting a feeling that is just not there. It's a cultural thing I wouldn't expect an American to respect. We are not as loud and aggressive as Americans. We're subdued and passive aggressive, we're not Americans. We kinda look like you, we kinda sound like you and we enjoy much of the same popular culture so it's easy to confuse the 2 countries but we are not you. Disinterest in a band would result in no tickets sold or very few tickets sold but seeing as Rush played Toronto on every major tour (save PeW) and usually multiple times, I'd say Toronto has been very good to Rush.

See you next tour Mr. Buffalo guy :hi:

• Like 1

So 17 replies and no one answer my questions?

Post 16??? Do you have me on ignore bugger???

No, but I do not count my own post! Why would I have you on ignore?

No, but I do not count my own post! Why would I have you on ignore?

Because I answered your questions in my post #16 and you complained that no one answered your questions! :wacko:

Okay, Zumbi... yes to all three questions. Accept for the 2112 version. St Louis, 1980 is still the best, but it's not the entire 2112, so your version takes it. I guess...

I saw at least 10 shows at the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto (T'ronno) and I can say that the crowds were ALWAYS loud and rowdy. I remember near the beginning of one of the Signals tour shows (they always played three nights in those days) a huge wave of people just charged the stage. They came from the back of the floor seats. There was nothing the security dudes could do.

I remember Geddy saying, "Don't push too hard now, someone might get mangled."

I also saw 4 shows in Ottawa at the Civic Centre and again, LOUD crowds. I've also seen them in Minneapolis 4 times and I noticed LOUD crowds , but not noticeably different.

• Like 1