R40 Live CD.

pjbear05

Just got this on loan from the library. Been through 2 of the 3 CD 's, and to be honest I'm not particularly impressed with the overall quality. Sounds very muddy and dull, especially the low end of a lot of songs. Some of them were, imho, recorded better on previous recordings. Am I alone here?
  • Like 3

A fairly (very?) detailed article on the recording of R40.

https://www.soundons...mixing-r40-live

I like this nugget on mixing Ged's bass throughout...

Geddy Lee’s bass tone was impressive without any treatment to it, thanks to his playing technique. In particular, every time he used his Zemaitis bass, which has custom–wound pickups by Tom Brantley, we couldn’t help but be completely amazed by the tone. It was one of those sounds that makes you turn your head, which I remember doing when the band played ‘Losing It’. The bass sound is a mix of amps and DIs that David usually split into one of two buses. Broadly speaking, one bus was stereo and was used for any widening, while the other was mono. They got blended together in various degrees depending on the song.

Edited by goose

Just got this on loan from the library. Been through 2 of the 3 CD 's, and to be honest I'm not particularly impressed with the overall quality. Sounds very muddy and dull, especially the low end of a lot of songs. Some of them were, imho, recorded better on previous recordings. Am I alone here?

Rush lost the ability to record themselves live or in studio at Vapor Trails and never gained it back. Its mind-boggling. The last thing they recorded that didn't sound like muddy, fuzzy garbage was Different Stages. No idea why.