NASA's "Opportunity" Rover (2004-2019)

Principled Man

NASA's Mars rover Opportunity has finally passed away after 15 years of service.

Designed to last just 90 Martian days and travel 1,100 yards (1,000 meters), Opportunity vastly surpassed all expectations in its endurance, scientific value and longevity. In addition to exceeding its life expectancy by 60 times, the rover traveled more than 28 miles (45 kilometers) by the time it reached its most appropriate final resting spot on Mars – Perseverance Valley.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 5

I work on a program that had satellites designed to live for 7 to 9 years, with the expectation that they would be replenished after 5 years. Almost 22 years after the first launch, the last of the legacy satellites were replaced.

Technology is amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how long this next generation of satellites fairs.

It's sad that Opportunity passed in a severe sand storm that starved it of power.

• Like 2

I work on a program that had satellites designed to live for 7 to 9 years, with the expectation that they would be replenished after 5 years. Almost 22 years after the first launch, the last of the legacy satellites were replaced.

Technology is amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how long this next generation of satellites fairs.

It's sad that Opportunity passed in a severe sand storm that starved it of power.

They should try to incorporate some kind of "self clean" tech that would be able to clear off the solar photo cells.

• Like 1

They should try to incorporate some kind of "self clean" tech that would be able to clear off the solar photo cells.

windshield-wipers-3682-bracket-wiper-630.jpg

So long opportunity you were a good ship, ummm I mean probe :D

I'm fairly certain that Mars didn't enjoy getting "probed" everyday for 15 years.....