Rush the FM radio act - 2112 Side 2

chemistry1973

Listening to the exquisite 2016 deluxe edition of 2112 and something struck me about side 2 - and of course I'm not the only one to come up with this.

2112 is not so much the "middle finger to the industry" as the legend of the band underscores. Side 2 is blatantly radio friendly - each track at about 3:30.

For one, NP has never been so constrained. That said, his power is very concentrated - take Twilight Zone, or Lessons: restrained and tasteful with a good deal of flow and nuance. LIsten to Tears. It's a perfect drum performance.

You can tell they put some serious work into these songs. They are far from filler or throwaways.

Side 2 also showcases a great deal of audible space - silence - that gives the songs a simply achieved ethereal quality.

The evidence is right there - the band put a good deal of effort into appeasing their label, while also holding steadfast to their desired artistic direction on Side 1.

Smart motherfukkerz.

I'll even take it a bit farther:

2112 showcases the push and pull of Neil Peart with Geddy and especially Alex Lifeson. Peart's bombastic Ayn Rand influenced side 1 won the day, putting the band on the map for its thematic long-form approach.

However, I'd argue the songs on Side 2 are even more thematic and dynamic. And Alex shines throughout side 2 - beautiful guitar tones and textures - and some of his absolutely most beautiful and emotive performances. Just ridiculous JOY in Lessons contrasted with weighted melancholy in The Twilight Zone and Tears.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 4

This will sound odd to most... I'm not a big fan of the 2112 album. The studio recording of 2112 is very dry sounding, almost sounds like it was recorded in a closet. The drums sound like there were blankets on them to muffle the sound. Noise gates were commonly used back then (especially on drums) to help control the recording process.... then maybe they weren't made to sound more real (hotter) in the mix??

The whole thing sounds distant... hard to explain what I mean.

The songs on side 2 are okay, average at best. But I doubt they were trying to write hits to appease the label.

Now - the LIVE 2112... especially around 1980 - 1981 is wicked. The Keil Auditorium in St. Louis, 1980, is probably the best of the best for 2112.

This will sound odd to most... I'm not a big fan of the 2112 album. The studio recording of 2112 is very dry sounding, almost sounds like it was recorded in a closet. The drums sound like there were blankets on them to muffle the sound. Noise gates were commonly used back then (especially on drums) to help control the recording process.... then maybe they weren't made to sound more real (hotter) in the mix??

The whole thing sounds distant... hard to explain what I mean.

The songs on side 2 are okay, average at best. But I doubt they were trying to write hits to appease the label.

Now - the LIVE 2112... especially around 1980 - 1981 is wicked. The Keil Auditorium in St. Louis, 1980, is probably the best of the best for 2112.

You might like the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs version. It's doesn't sound as dry to me (maybe that's why I don't prefer that version) so you might enjoy that one.

I've never had a problem with Side Two myself.

Edited by ytserush