• Led Zeppelin

LZ1 < VH1

LZ2 > VH2

LZ3 < WaCF

Zoso > FW

HotH > DD

PG > 1984

LZ wins album wise.

This isn't too too far off. However, I disagree with Zoso (phenomenal though it is) over one of the greatest studio albums by anyone ever, Fair Warning. 1984 wins out over the excessive Physical Graffiti IMO as well.

But those differences are why VH actually wins. :)

• Like 1

Going by only their c.ds, and albums, in, and on one post, Led Zeppelin > Van Halen, and in, and on another post, Van Halen > Led Zeppelin, then it would be, and considered a tie. It shouldn't just go by c.ds, and albums, and live concert performances by both bands, and groups. What is, and has been going by the poll, "Led Zeppelin". Edited by Derek19

The 80s child and lifelong SoCal resident in me is biased towards the boys from Pasadena. My love for them comes from my dad. Apparently, they played pre fame party gigs around the neighborhood of my birth residence of Rowland Heights.

There's tapes of that stuff out there, I think. Raw!
  • Like 3

The 80s child and lifelong SoCal resident in me is biased towards the boys from Pasadena. My love for them comes from my dad. Apparently, they played pre fame party gigs around the neighborhood of my birth residence of Rowland Heights.

There's tapes of that stuff out there, I think. Raw!

high school gigs.

• Like 3

As a group of musicians Led Zeppelin is objectively a much more talented band(EVH is technically a better player than Page though).

Zep's songwriting in general is on the higher musical level than VH's and music is much more diverse.

And VH don't have 6 great albums in the row as Zep have and the best Zep tunes crush the best VH tunes.

Vocally Plant puts Diamond Dave to shame.

These are some arguments why Zep win easily.

Breaking down Runnin With The Devil and why VH was such a great band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwjNDhSKPk0&t=123s

This is great. Right up my alley.

That reverb he's talking about - would that be what is heard at the end of What Is and What Should Never Be? If you listen to it with headphones, the guitar seems to swing around your head from one side to the other.

Edit: That was very good, goose. Thank you.

Did you think Alex is (was) that good of a drummer?

I do agree with him about David's voice. A lot of people say he can't sing, but he can sing. If you want to hear someone who can't sing, hand me a mic.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Edit: That was very good, goose. Thank you.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's long, but the detail is what interested me.

That reverb he's talking about - would that be what is heard at the end of What Is and What Should Never Be? If you listen to it with headphones, the guitar seems to swing around your head from one side to the other.

The reverb is an kind of echoing, an acoustic reverberation of what's being played or sung. In the video, on one side your hear the full rhythm guitar, and on the other side you hear a very quiet echo of what's being played. In the studio, those can be reversed back and forth. If I recall Whole Lotta Love does that in the middle psychedelic break.

Did you think Alex is (was) that good of a drummer?

You know, I never rank him very highly. I used to really like his work, and on Runnin With The Devil is Alex in top form. It has a great driving beat, and he plays it perfectly straight. But often, especially on later albums, I can't stand the way he just bashes the cymbals. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge comes to mind.

As for Dave, I think Ted Templeman did a great job getting the best out of Dave. He can sing when someone is reining him in a bit.

• Like 1

I hope I did it right. This is the part of the song I'm referring to:

http://youtu.be/WnMiXsRtsfc

Edit: I didn't do it right. The part starts at 3:29

And Dave can carry a tune. Well, he used to be able to carry a tune, but not many singers over 60 still have the voice they once had.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Classic.

What they're doing is called "panning", moving the signal from side to side during mixing.

mixer-pan-control.jpg

If you want more info on panning in general... https://www.teachmea...niques/panning/

...and the mixing of Zep II specifically... https://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/6555-mixing-led-zeppelin-ii/

:cheers:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Zep for both, no contest. More a Van Hagar than Van Halen fan. Best Van Halen music I ever heard was an EVH guitar sample on a 2 Live Crew recording.

Classic.

What they're doing is called "panning", moving the signal from side to side during mixing.

mixer-pan-control.jpg

If you want more info on panning in general... https://www.teachmea...niques/panning/

...and the mixing of Zep II specifically... https://forums.ledze...ed-zeppelin-ii/

:cheers:

I find sound engineering fascinating, don't you?

I can't recall ever reading or hearing about Eddie Kramer before.

I can totally get why most people would say Led Zep. I am fond of them too. But Van Halen were my first musical love! I heard "When It`s Love"- a very mediocre Sammy Hagar ballad - when I was 12, and the solo was different to every piece of music I had ever heard before. And my life was never the same again. I have always loved Eddie and genuinely wonder how different my musical life and hobbies would be today without hearing that song in 1988, as I wouldn`t have listened to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani otherwise. Possibly no Rush either!

Fair Warning will always be one of my favourite records, followed by VH1 and Women and Children First, and 1984.

But...I do not like Van Hagar that much. There were some good songs between 1986 and 1995 but far too many about love, and as Neil Peart showed every time, there are a million more interesting things to write about.

Led Zeppelin never quite grabbed me the same way, although I have everything they`ve released. Speaking as someone who has always lived in England, I much prefer North American music over British music. It`s always appealed to me. There is nothing beautiful about the Black Country where Led Zep and Black Sabbath started out!

Speaking as someone who has always lived in England, I much prefer North American music over British music. It`s always appealed to me. There is nothing beautiful about the Black Country where Led Zep and Black Sabbath started out!

Speaking as someone who has only lived in North America, I much prefer British music when it comes to rock bands. They seem so much more adventurous. We've got Rush, the Doors, Talking Heads, Blue Oyster Cult, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and the Beach Boys, but the Brits produced the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, Queen, Deep Purple, Yes, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Clash, Radiohead, and the list goes on and on.

Edited by ClashWho
  • Like 1

Speaking as someone who has always lived in England, I much prefer North American music over British music. It`s always appealed to me. There is nothing beautiful about the Black Country where Led Zep and Black Sabbath started out!

Speaking as someone who has only lived in North America, I much prefer British music when it comes to rock bands. They seem so much more adventurous. We've got Rush, the Doors, Talking Heads, Blue Oyster Cult, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and the Beach Boys, but the Brits produced the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, Queen, Deep Purple, Yes, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Clash, Radiohead, and the list goes on and on.

Deep Purple, Sabbath and Zep turn out to be pretty much the only Brit based bands I have. I didn't realise how massively biased my mass of CDs were towards the States and Canada. But all my favourite TV shows are American too, so I guess I was just born in the wrong continent :facepalm: