Metal Evalution

Blue Barchetta

So...been watching this enthralling show on MTVL off and on all afternoon. "Metal Evolution". They do a whole episode dedicated to prog metal in which Rush is front and center. Buuuut they seem to drop them after Hemispheres and claim they left the metal map after that album. Thoughts? Opinions? RUSHHEAD 666?

I think MP rocked metal boundaries like 2112 before. The fact that they short-shrifted that and PEW kinda pisses me off.

• Like 2

So...been watching this enthralling show on MTVL off and on all afternoon. "Metal Evolution". They do a whole episode dedicated to prog metal in which Rush is front and center. Buuuut they seem to drop them after Hemispheres and claim they left the metal map after that album. Thoughts? Opinions? RUSHHEAD 666?

I think MP rocked metal boundaries like 2112 before. The fact that they short-shrifted that and PEW kinda pisses me off.

Although maybe even getting mentioned in a doc that tracks the history of METAL should kind of make us feel proud. Not a lot of "metal heads" would even consider our boys as such.

Although maybe even getting mentioned in a doc that tracks the history of METAL should kind of make us feel proud. Not a lot of "metal heads" would even consider our boys as such.

Rush didn't even consider themselves metal.

• Like 2

Rush didn't even consider themselves metal.

But a lot of early metal bands DID. I find that awesome as hell.
  • Like 1

And I still say "Anthem" was the most metal tune of '75. It didn't get the love of Sabbath or...who else...dare we say Zepplin? But Anthem was the heaviest, kick-ass song for its day. It kicks ass even now. Rush is undersold as pioneers of metal. They were f***ing metal before the US even knew metal had hit them!
  • Like 3

And I still say "Anthem" was the most metal tune of '75. It didn't get the love of Sabbath or...who else...dare we say Zepplin? But Anthem was the heaviest, kick-ass song for its day. It kicks ass even now. Rush is undersold as pioneers of metal. They were f***ing metal before the US even knew metal had hit them!

Gotta say, I love Rush's whole discography, but their early stuff is sooooooooooo f***ing underranked.

• Like 2

Gotta say, I love Rush's whole discography, but their early stuff is sooooooooooo f***ing underranked.

These blistering opinions are aided by a little vodka...so be gentle....

• Like 1

These blistering opinions are aided by a little vodka...so be gentle....

Okay...that's not true..a good deal of vodka.

• Like 1

Rush was not metal after Hemispheres. That's why the documentary stopped with that. There is nothing metal on Moving Pictures. You can say the main riff of Natural Science is metal but that's about it after Hemispheres. Rush doesn't dive back into the metal sound again until Vapor Trails. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

It's a good series! It was made by Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen; the guys who went on to do "Beyond the Lighted Stage." There are some classic moments in it. I loved when they are talking with Iron Maiden about the naming of their mascot. "Of course we 'ad to name him Eddie! He's an 'ead! :LOL:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

It's a good series! It was made by Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen; the guys who went on to do "Beyond the Lighted Stage." There are some classic moments in it. I loved when they are talking with Iron Maiden about the naming of their mascot. "Of course we 'ad to name him Eddie! He's an 'ead! :LOL:

Awesome series! Coheed & Cambria deserve their own show. You Rush fans that haven't listened to them? You're cheating yourselves.

I loved that series, but I like documentaries in general. Also, click "edit" then "full editor" and you can correct the misspelled title, if you choose to.

• Like 1

Rush were an inspiration to every metal band that followed them, despite not exactly being metal themselves and following a non metal road to synth rock when all the nwobhm bands were coming out in the 80s. However, I’d say those metal bands all listened straight through to MP and took great inspiration from that just as they did from 2112 years earlier, even if it was less metal. Signals is where a lot of fans started having issues with the synths, and I imagine that’s where metal bands kind of stopped listening as well (except for the truest of Rush fans among them of course :haz: ). Besides, by 1982 young metal bands had Screaming For Vengeance, Number Of The Beast, and Mob Rules for inspiration, so they no longer needed more “metal” Rush albums.
  • Like 2

Rush were an inspiration to every metal band that followed them, despite not exactly being metal themselves and following a non metal road to synth rock when all the nwobhm bands were coming out in the 80s. However, I’d say those metal bands all listened straight through to MP and took great inspiration from that just as they did from 2112 years earlier, even if it was less metal. Signals is where a lot of fans started having issues with the synths, and I imagine that’s where metal bands kind of stopped listening as well (except for the truest of Rush fans among them of course :haz: ). Besides, by 1982 young metal bands had Screaming For Vengeance, Number Of The Beast, and Mob Rules for inspiration, so they no longer needed more “metal” Rush albums.

By 1982? Priest? Obviously you didn't see my previous post about Priest's 1974 activities!

Once PW and MP hit, Rush realized their path was less Denim jacket/wallet chain boys and more computer nerdy guys. But the computer nerds still liked to rock out, just not to headbanging metal levels. For the people that don't like bands that evolve, there's plenty of them opening at county fairs and shitty bars these days. For a lot of the 'metal' bands, the ear bashing just bores me to death.

Rush likely would have died off long ago if they stuck to the prog metal path of hemispheres.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 6

Back in 1974 before Fly By Night and Caress of Steel were ever released Judas Priest created the Caress of Steel guitar tone and style. In many ways Priest are the real RUSH!

What’s Run Of The Mill, their biography?

• Like 2

Once PW and MP hit, Rush realized their path was less Denim jacket/wallet chain boys and more computer nerdy guys. But the computer nerds still liked to rock out, just not to headbanging metal levels. For the people that don't like bands that evolve, there's plenty of them opening at county fairs and shitty bars these days. For a lot of the 'metal' bands, the ear bashing just bores me to death.

Rush likely would have died off long ago if they stuck to the prog metal path of hemispheres.

Which is interesting because bands that are successful, generally do evolve and their music changes. But when "Signals" hit, how many supposed Rush fans wrote them off?

• Like 1

Rush used Metal as a spice like a chef would in making a gourmet dish. They were never a metal band nor had aspirations to be metal (lucky for us). Hard Rock, using prog/metal/new wave/ as flavouring. The constant was their work ethic and dedication to the performance in the studio and on stage.
  • Like 2

Back in 1974 before Fly By Night and Caress of Steel were ever released Judas Priest created the Caress of Steel guitar tone and style. In many ways Priest are the real RUSH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZTakTluPK0

What’s Run Of The Mill, their biography?

You should know all about that Tony every one of your posts speak of this.

Hey Blue how's it going?

I'm still on a high from seeing KISS last night. Best KISS show I have ever seen since 1985!!

I remember reading a Neil Peart article in KERRANG! magazine decades ago. There was a black and white picture of Neil with a quote... "I never really thought of us as heavy metal."

I agree however, there are definitely metal elements flowing through the lifeblood of RUSH from 1974-1978.

"Hemispheres" is their all around apex of an album. Call this record whatever you want, to me it's the greatest album ever created by human beings on this planet Earth.

"Hemispheres" is the zenith of all that is PROGRESSIVE ROCK METAL!!!!!!

RUSH ON FOREVER!!

KISS RULES TOO!

• Like 1

Which is interesting because bands that are successful, generally do evolve and their music changes. But when "Signals" hit, how many supposed Rush fans wrote them off?

Good point. As the 80s wore on, I got more ambivalent about their direction. Not because they weren't 'metal' or fitting a stereotype; their 80s synth period material just wasn't very interesting or musically challenging for the most part. However, other prog bands, yes, kansas, etc. were much less proggy in the 80s and more mainstream FM rock radio. With the beginnings of MTV you had to have more 'video friendly' material or you'd be sentenced to the midnight metal shows.

Rush could've been the GREATEST metal band, that's the difference really

if Al and Ged ever do anything again, it should be Metal

I'm definitely up for that oh yeahh

Does it matter? Peart’s said he’s never considered Rush as a metal act. Geddy’s called Rush a metal band in the past. Yet, it’s never mattered as they made what was in their hearts and minds and we got what we got.

• Like 1

Rush could've been the GREATEST metal band, that's the difference really

if Al and Ged ever do anything again, it should be Metal

I'm definitely up for that oh yeahh

Does it matter? Peart’s said he’s never considered Rush as a metal act. Geddy’s called Rush a metal band in the past. Yet, it’s never mattered as they made what was in their hearts and minds and we got what we got.

Yeah sorry not suggesting myself rush were metal, far from it, but if they'd wanted to they could've been the greatest metal band ever, just sayin

• Like 2