Great You Tube find... from 1977.

Thunder Bay Rush

It says this is from 1977, but I don't think they played the Necromancer on the AFTK tour, I would have remembered it. I have a feeling this audio is from 1976, could be wrong.

Great sound and if you ever wondered what Rush sounded like back then, especially Geddy's voice, you should check this out.

• Like 6

I think I just solved my own question about the date / tour of this recording. I just listed again and near the end of the Necromancer, (about 16:50) I can hear Geddy playing rhythm guitar and bass pedals during Alex's solo. He did not have the Ricky double-neck in 1976.

Still not sure where this was recorded... sneaky suspicion tells me somewhere in the UK because it sounds like a fairly small crowd (less than 2,500 people) and in North America Rush was headlining much larger venues (for the most part) on the AFTK tour.

• Like 1

I think I just solved my own question about the date / tour of this recording. I just listed again and near the end of the Necromancer, (about 16:50) I can hear Geddy playing rhythm guitar and bass pedals during Alex's solo. He did not have the Ricky double-neck in 1976.

Still not sure where this was recorded... sneaky suspicion tells me somewhere in the UK because it sounds like a fairly small crowd (less than 2,500 people) and in North America Rush was headlining much larger venues (for the most part) on the AFTK tour.

Sounds like the Manchester UK gig from 6/2/77. Love that version of the Necromancer. So much better than that one from the Rockford show in 1975. Love the noodling at the beginning too.

Sounds like the Manchester UK gig from 6/2/77. Love that version of the Necromancer. So much better than that one from the Rockford show in 1975. Love the noodling at the beginning too.

Yep they played The Necromancer on the first UK tour in June 77 before going to Rockfield to record AFTK.

• Like 1

Yep they played The Necromancer on the first UK tour in June 77 before going to Rockfield to record AFTK.

That explains it... I saw the AFTK tour in Ottawa, April 1, 1978. They didn't play Necromancer to my memory.