Vapor Trails vs Vapor Trails Remixed - 17 years later.

treeduck

Vapor Trails which version do you prefer now  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition of Vapor Trails do you prefer now?

• Vapor Trails - the 2002 Original
    • Vapor Trails Remixed (2013)
    • I don't like the original and the remixed version did nothing to improve it

So, this poll is too narrow.

There are actually four different mainstream versions of VT:

- 2002 CD mastered by Howie Weinberg

- 2002 vinyl, presumably also mastered by Howie Weinberg (deadwax just says Masterdisk)

- 2011 remix by Dave Bottrill

- 2013 Sectors remaster by Andy VanDette

Personally, I refuse to accept the existence of Dave Bottrill's remix. I think it's a load of garbage. It's a completely different album, for one thing, using alternate takes that weren't on the original album. Some are interesting, but most just distract me. For example, the band made a creative decision not to put any guitar solos on the album, and they did that for a reason. Bottrill is welcome to create his own imaginary Rush album, but in my mind, it's not a Rush album.

Second, the mix f***ing blows. The kick drum sounds like Morse code, it's obnoxiously loud and clicky and it keeps getting in the way when I try to listen to it. And yes, there's more separation between the instruments thanks to some other EQ choices he made, but the final mix is actually no less compressed than the original. It's just as goddamn loud. The only reason it sounds clearer is because the frequency ranges of each individual instrument have been tamed somewhat.

So, that leaves three: the original CD, the vinyl, and the 2013 remaster.

Of those, the original CD can be automatically discarded as a load of crap. Horrifically over-compressed to the point of audible distortion with a giant boost in the bass and treble on top of that. It's unlistenable. (About a decade and a half ago, myself and some other folks over at Counterparts did a "remaster" using that CD as a starting point, which ended up being my version of choice for many years.)

The original vinyl is interesting. I bought a copy in 2005 and listened to it a couple of times, but my turntable and cartridge weren't all that great at the time, so it never sounded much better than the CD. However, I pulled it out last week and gave it a listen on some much better equipment, and it DOES sound better than the original CD. The EQ is much more bearable, without the enormous blast of bass and treble, and it wasn't subjected to the harsh digital limiting that resulted in all the audible clipping.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

And then there's Andy VanDette's take on it, which I'm still not sure what to make of. Without question, he did a lot of futzing to make it sound the way it does. I suspect he employed some multi-band compressors, because it sounds absolutely nothing like either the original CD or the vinyl, and no changes I can make to it with an ordinary parametric EQ result in it sounding similar. Is it bad? No. There's far less limiting, so there's little in the way of clipping. I find it a little bright, with too much in the upper mids and treble, but on the whole it's a vast improvement over the original CD. That said, lacks the fullness of the vinyl.

So what's the takeaway? If your only option is digital and you don't have the software and/or knowledge to try fixing the original CD, then get Andy VanDette's remaster. It's available online from HDtracks and 7digital and Acoustic Sounds and various other outlets. Just pay attention and make sure the release date for the version you're buying is 2013!

On the other hand, if you feel like blowing tons of money, get a copy of the original vinyl. (It's selling for an average of $200 on discogs.com lately.) It's probably the best the album will sound, and the truest to the band's original vision (for better and for worse), at least until they let Sean Magee get his hands on it.

• Like 7

I think VT's problems might have been baked in from the beginning during the tracking phase and are almost unfixable because of that. Geddy's vocal clarity is muddy even on VT Remixed. Wtf? I actually don't mind the original release though. I think it really captures the emotional turmoil of the preceding few years before the album was made and should have been left alone for the most part. Just get rid of the clipping and I'm good.

Loved that they came back after tragedy but the beginning of the end to coherently written songs. I bought the remix and listened to it once. Absolutely awful album with not much better to follow...

What do you mean? I thought it was an amazing Comeback album. Are you not a fan of their later work?

• Like 1

Ive heard both. The Remix is awesome, It truly adds a layer of depth and sound that was not there before in the original. The original is dynamically compressed, and its loud and difficult to listen to for details and other things as a result.
  • Like 1

I have received the Original 2002 CD. I've always liked the original album cover better than the Remix. I'll listen to it within the next few days. (Haven't heard VT in a while, so I might listen to the Remix again first)

I love the original it's such a dirty mix and the newer version is just too clean. I remember a lot of the older dudes on here hated the mix.

It's not supposed to be a great mix it's supposed to sound dirty. Imagine 80's hardcore punk without the mixes (or lack of) that they had. Probably wouldn't be the same.

• Like 2

I have received the Original 2002 CD. I've always liked the original album cover better than the Remix. I'll listen to it within the next few days. (Haven't heard VT in a while, so I might listen to the Remix again first)

Update: f**k the remix.

• Like 4

Now I'm curious.. Is there anywhere I can hear the original, because it seems all the Music sites/apps have the remixed version

The original songs are on You Tube, listening to Secret Touch right now. That song drew me into Rush after I heard it on Beyond the Lighted Stage. I love the original version, they are raw but full of the emotions Neil went through.

I bought the remix to see for myself and wasn't impressed, seemed to be washed out and a shell of the original. Don't think I listened to it more than twice. Original mix rocks for me!

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

Ok this has been a long time coming but I finally received VT remixed in the post today via eBay.Why have I not purchased the remix until now?A few reasons.I like supporting local music shops but I never saw the remix in store and just never got round to ordering it.Apart from a few tracks I just didn’t like the album.I listened on Spotify to a few tracks but never the full remix album.Also being homebound (the virus)I found myself ordering a few CDs which normally I wouldn’t do.So with beer in hand ,fire up the megawatt PA system in the man cave,start the model train layout whizzing,light a joss stick,put up feet.The verdict.f***ing magic.Three spins later and perhaps three cartons of piss later it’s like listening to a new album.And this is one of the rare times I have been able to sit through the entire CD,let alone three.I shall dissect the album in another post when I am sober.A ray of light in these dark times. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 2

I stick with VTOI. Vapor Trails Original Intent.

2 bass parts on some songs. You can't hear that on the original mix.

There's a mandolin to be heard, rather than just a reference to one in the liner notes.

Punch, atmosphere, perhaps a more subdued 1000 Geddys.

Overall just sounds better. The songs have more life. IMO.

Have no interest in the 2001 mix.

Edited by grep

Yes Fridge I do tend to agree with you on the original.As for people who say the original is heavier and remix is lite on,make no mistake I am a fan of some brutal heavy metal.But VT original is grating loud and dare I say itAlex’s tone sounds atrocious.The remix shows more detail and if I want it heavy I turn the bass and volume up.Ghost Rider which is lyrically brilliant but I couldn’t stand to listen to is now seen in a different light.Ditto Freeze and Out of the Cradle although they still sub par for Rush.I just wish the original had not been released.P.S.Being a bassist and guitarist it’s a joy to hear intricate passages without a brick wall coming at you

• Like 1

Just went back to listen to Vapor Trails. I haven't listened to it in 17 years.

I found the 2013 remix on YouTube.

Skipped around a lot, listened to about half the songs, pieces of others.

Sadly, my original opinion is unchanged -- it's probably their worst album.

Uninspired songwriting, unoriginal sound, weird vocals. They really lost the magic on this one.

I wish it weren't so.

Next up to revisit: Snakes and Arrows. Last time I heard those songs was on the S&A tour.