• Classical
    • New Wave
    • Jazz
    • Celtic
    • New Age
    • Disco
    • Reggae
    • Techno

Emo is my choice on this one. Damn I disklike that genre. Bands like Taking Back Sunday, American Hi-Fi, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, dashboard confessional, and a whole other bunch I can't think of, just make me want to 062802puke_prv.gif when I hear them. I think they suck balls!!!!

Death To the Infadels of Music 1287.gif pokey.gif scared.gif

waffen093.gif Emo

Music is a constantly growing idea that will never stay put. I am finding it harder as I learn more about music, to say that any form of music is definitivly bad. Sure there are forms that I dislike, but I cannot classify it as being universally bad. As long as anyone gets anything positive from the experience of listening to some kind of music, then I find it impossible to place my name on the validity that it is bad. If I were in a company whose credibility was on the line for my thought, I would be fired for placing my opinions over what is real.

Therefore I cannot vote on which form I believe to be the worst. I dont think there is a worst. Every form of music, no matter how much my personal distaste, is in some way valid if it appeals to no one else but the person making it.

--

To me, Emo is a new trend in music and in social interactions. It is a way of thinking and acting in todays youth, an analogy to the hippie generation, or generation X can be drawn along the same lines.

WARNING: If you don't want to read something from someone extremely opinionated about music, skip this post. wink.gif

I respect Moonraker's point of view that "As long as anyone gets anything positive from the experience of listening to some kind of music, then I find it impossible to place my name on the validity that it is bad." If people out there love these genres that I don't and it gives them pleasure, I would be the last one to take away their enjoyment or to try and tell them that they're wrong. Everyone is different and another man's garbage is another man's treasure, etc.

I, however, have never understood people that when you ask them what kind of music they like say things like, "Oh, I like all kinds of music." I ask them if they have any favorite genres or artists and they say things like "not really." Usually unsatisfied and deeply puzzled, I say, "Well there must be SOMEthing you particularly like," which usually brings a short list of 4 or 5 (to me seemingly completely random) cd's they own that they happen to have been listening to lately. To me music is passion, and while they might be passionate about music in general, to me music is passion for very particular styles, genres, groups, singers, etc. Without differentiation, it's like saying all music is just music and is inherently all good. It may be all good, but it all has drastically different effects on me. The ironic thing is, for the people who say they like all kinds, I bet I could sit them down for 30 minutes and play them a lot of music that would find they really do dislike, or at least can't relate to at all. I think the people who "like all kinds" just might not have thought it out, or more likely, just don't care enough to really think it all out. That's fine, but I don't get it, or at least it's SO different than the way I approach it. To me, there is music I love, music I find benign and non-offensive, but unmoving, and music that I think is a vile plague across this land. If it has an audience, great, and I hope those people enjoy it, but I don't mind saying how I personally feel about it.

Country music I find extremely vomit-inducing, pretty much across the board. Occasionally I'll hear a more crossover country song that is bearable, and of course there are groups I love that have a fair amount of country influence (Grateful Dead, CSNY, etc.), but those are FAR away from pure country music. 99.9% of anything country I hear to me is extremly unpleasant. To me it's the most irritating, lowest common denominator of music for the masses without any redeeming qualities. That whole style of singing with that twangy kind of whiny thing to me sounds very affected. The lyrics I usually find phenonemanlly stupid and pedestrian and most all of it sounds the same without anything interesting to challenge me in any way, to surprise or excite me. As much as I don't like rap, I would rather listen to 30 minutes of rap than 5 minutes of country - I leave buildings where it's playing and go way out of my way to avoid it - yuck!

ph34r.gif

Peace,

Gary

A lot of current country is that way. I cannot say what older country was like becaue I havent heard any of it, but most of the new country is just like most of any other kind of popular music coming out today. It's just trying to appeal to as big an audience as they can to sell more records. Now interejecting some personal opinion, I have to go with hip/hop as my least desired musical taste, there is just nothing I get from that. I am so far removed from the whole hip/hop way of thinking that even what is supposed to be good hip/hop does nothing for me. There is still a lot to be said for writing your own music to go along with your words, not just stealing another persons beat and mixing it up a bit.

see my post in "Best Genre"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 11 2005, 12:32 PM)
WARNING: If you don't want to read something from someone extremely opinionated about music, skip this post. wink.gif

I respect Moonraker's point of view that "As long as anyone gets anything positive from the experience of listening to some kind of music, then I find it impossible to place my name on the validity that it is bad." If people out there love these genres that I don't and it gives them pleasure, I would be the last one to take away their enjoyment or to try and tell them that they're wrong. Everyone is different and another man's garbage is another man's treasure, etc.

I, however, have never understood people that when you ask them what kind of music they like say things like, "Oh, I like all kinds of music." I ask them if they have any favorite genres or artists and they say things like "not really." Usually unsatisfied and deeply puzzled, I say, "Well there must be SOMEthing you particularly like," which usually brings a short list of 4 or 5 (to me seemingly completely random) cd's they own that they happen to have been listening to lately. To me music is passion, and while they might be passionate about music in general, to me music is passion for very particular styles, genres, groups, singers, etc. Without differentiation, it's like saying all music is just music and is inherently all good. It may be all good, but it all has drastically different effects on me. The ironic thing is, for the people who say they like all kinds, I bet I could sit them down for 30 minutes and play them a lot of music that would find they really do dislike, or at least can't relate to at all. I think the people who "like all kinds" just might not have thought it out, or more likely, just don't care enough to really think it all out. That's fine, but I don't get it, or at least it's SO different than the way I approach it. To me, there is music I love, music I find benign and non-offensive, but unmoving, and music that I think is a vile plague across this land. If it has an audience, great, and I hope those people enjoy it, but I don't mind saying how I personally feel about it.

Country music I find extremely vomit-inducing, pretty much across the board. Occasionally I'll hear a more crossover country song that is bearable, and of course there are groups I love that have a fair amount of country influence (Grateful Dead, CSNY, etc.), but those are FAR away from pure country music. 99.9% of anything country I hear to me is extremly unpleasant. To me it's the most irritating, lowest common denominator of music for the masses without any redeeming qualities. That whole style of singing with that twangy kind of whiny thing to me sounds very affected. The lyrics I usually find phenonemanlly stupid and pedestrian and most all of it sounds the same without anything interesting to challenge me in any way, to surprise or excite me. As much as I don't like rap, I would rather listen to 30 minutes of rap than 5 minutes of country - I leave buildings where it's playing and go way out of my way to avoid it - yuck!

ph34r.gif

Peace,
Gary

goodpost.gif

i found it very hard to pick one, there are many i dislike e.g country, hiphop and rap. but i find gospel possibly the most irritating and tragically awful thing i have ever heard.

QUOTE (R.G @ Oct 11 2005, 01:21 PM)
i found it very hard to pick one, there are many i dislike e.g country, hiphop and rap. but i find gospel possibly the most irritating and tragically awful thing i have ever heard.

rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 11 2005, 06:32 PM)
I, however, have never understood people that when you ask them what kind of music they like say things like, "Oh, I like all kinds of music." I ask them if they have any favorite genres or artists and they say things like "not really." Usually unsatisfied and deeply puzzled, I say, "Well there must be SOMEthing you particularly like," which usually brings a short list of 4 or 5 (to me seemingly completely random) cd's they own that they happen to have been listening to lately. To me music is passion, and while they might be passionate about music in general, to me music is passion for very particular styles, genres, groups, singers, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree, and will go further.

What I find is people who say "Oh, I like anything", as soon as you make them a compilation CD that tries to go beyond the MOR standards like Phil Collins, Elton John et al., they don't like any of it. To steal a line from Dorothy Parker, they run the whole gamut of musically taste and appreciation from A to B.

I've got a fairly broad taste, but my bete noir is so-called 'Country and Irish' music. If you've never heard of Daniel O'Donnell, you're lucky. (In fairness, he's a genuinely nice guy, but his music is the spawn of the devil).

My hated genre of music is:

"Whatever MTV and the Rasio says I should like."

I'll appreciate anyone who says that they really liek a certain CD by a band I deplore, or that they enjoy a rap CD. But when someone tells me their favorite song is "That sugar song by fall out boy," I wanna scream.

The same people say Franz Ferdinand's "take me out" is 'old'...I tell them that my favourite song was released in 1976, howsthat for old!?

I don't think you'll meet many adult with that musical taste though.

another contender for me of hated musical genres is Mexican music - that's a tough one as there are a lot of sub-categories of Mexican music, but basically any Mexcian song with brass instruments and an accordian me no likey... don't they know that the accordian went out of style like 60 years ago? confused13.gif

I have to say Country Music is the worse, most of it makes me want to vomit.

Although a lot of Hip/Hop sucks, there are some songs I like, some are kind of catchy. Most of the ones I like have real bass and Guitar in it, real drums really helps out a lot too. But I hate when they use samples from other peoples songs and splice them into their rap, ANYONE with a computer can do that. I could sit and do it all day if I thought I could make a lot of money, but generally, I think it's lame.

Rap shouldn't be on the list, as there's basically no music involved in it.

Edit: My least favorite music is anything by conformists. Whatever the genre, if it sounds EXACTLY like other groups, there's no point listening to it. (Simple Plan, most rap I've heard)

Edited by invisibleairwaves

For me, it was a close run thing between Emo and Techno. IMO, Emo is a load of middle class guys moaning about what a sh*te life they have, while sounding like a second rate Alice in Chains! Jeez, lighten up boys!!

But Techno takes the cake for being the most unlistenable, most un- musical music I think I've heard! Unless you're on the right drugs of course!! rantoff.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 11 2005, 03:14 PM)
the accordian went out of style like 60 years ago

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Darth Vader)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!