Geddy’s voice

grasbo

I am all for Alex and Ged doing some new stuff and even finding a new drummer.But I cringe when I think of how bad his vocals were getting towards the end.Has anyone heard him sing lately ?Has the lay-off helped?.If they haven’t then they should throw in David Lee Roth out front.Honestly I feel I just don’t think I could handle Ged’s yelp anymore.
  • Like 1

Could be ok for studio stuff, which is all i'd personally wish for

Agreed... his voice on Clockwork Angels was fantastic. But, sure, live he is a little rough at times for a pile of obvious reasons. One, is singing four nights a week for three hours. Two, his age... but, he still sounds great in the studio. Yay for Pro Tools!

• Like 1

I am all for Alex and Ged doing some new stuff and even finding a new drummer.But I cringe when I think of how bad his vocals were getting towards the end.Has anyone heard him sing lately ?Has the lay-off helped?.If they haven’t then they should throw in David Lee Roth out front.Honestly I feel I just don’t think I could handle Ged’s yelp anymore.

Well David Lee Roth didn't do any better vocal wise on Van Halen's 2015 North American Tour according to this review here.

Edited by RushFanForever

Not trying to be a downer but his voice is shot for pretty much anything now. He was straining on even the lower easier songs in the back catalog on the final tours. Also I'm pretty sure he admitted in a recent interview that he "can't sing Rush songs" anymore even if he wanted to
  • Like 1

Even if Geddy, and Alex, did get another drummer to replace Neil, and continue Rush without him, I would think a lot of us Rush fans, and enthusiasts might do mind that. I know I wouldn't want that. For the way Geddy's voice sounding like from singing, now, I don't know. If I had it in any other way, I would've liked to have seen, and heard Geddy, Alex, and Neil, gone back into the studio to record more music, and another c.d., and album. Talking about David Lee Roth, not sounding the same as he once did, Paul Stanley, is another example of another lead singer in a band, and group, who has been having vocal problems, and issues. I could maybe name a couple, or a few more lead singers in bands, and groups, but I'll stop there. Edited by Derek19

Given Ged and Al's lyrics on their solo efforts, and Ged's problems with singing, no matter how significant, an album of instrumentals would work just fine. Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

Agreed... his voice on Clockwork Angels was fantastic.

Fantastic?! Can I have your version? He sounds bad on mine, particularly Seven Cities of Gold.

• Like 4

It is more the diction and warbling vibrato that began to annoy me even in the studio.Take for instance the verses in Good News First.I am all for some studio stuff and yes they can do wonders in the studio.A couple of years ago I was unhappy with a guitar line that I had recorded.The producer just moved the cursor on the screen and hey,err,presto.I am concerned about the quality of his voice .

It is more the diction and warbling vibrato that began to annoy me even in the studio.Take for instance the verses in Good News First.I am all for some studio stuff and yes they can do wonders in the studio.A couple of years ago I was unhappy with a guitar line that I had recorded.The producer just moved the cursor on the screen and hey,err,presto.I am concerned about the quality of his voice .

Great point. Its like he doesn't know how to make a line more melodic so he does that warble thing and its just cringey

Given Ged and Al's lyrics on their solo efforts, and Ged's problems with singing, no matter how significant, an album of instrumentals would work just fine.

An ep of jams...or just downloads.
  • Like 1

There's the problem...you were actually trying to listen to Good News First.

• Like 2

There's the problem...you were actually trying to listen to Good News First.

Ha ha ,I was trying

Grasbo, instead of posting an additional one, you could've "Edit" it, and posted what you decided to want.

Grasbo, instead of posting an additional one, you could've "Edit" it, and posted what you decided to want.

yep sorry stuffed up there

Agreed... his voice on Clockwork Angels was fantastic.

Fantastic?! Can I have your version? He sounds bad on mine, particularly Seven Cities of Gold.

For the majority of CA his voice had much of the funeral dirge about it (see: The Anarchist, a song that musically is fantastic, but once the vocals come in... Oy :facepalm: ). A hold-over from S & A. Perhaps I just don't care for the lower registers of his voice as much.

Fantastic is certainly a subjective term.

• Like 1

Listening to him speak he sounds like he still smokes.

Roth has the same issue. Smoking just ruins vocal chords.

Sting is the same age as Geddy and still does pretty well - mostly. Macca is in his mid 70s and can still manage.

Pretty sure Geddy hasn't smoked regularly since he was in his 20s.

• Like 1

Paul unfortunately has been sounding very elderly and croaky in the last few years. I saw him in concert last year at MSG and he's still amazing for his age, it was a great show...but his voice is finally wearing out after all these decades :-(

I saw Ringo recently too and he still looks and sounds 20 years younger than he is. Someone else who sings in a natural lower register

• Like 1

Elton lost his upper and middle registers years ago. He had throat surgery in 1988 which permanently changed it and then age and wear just caught up with him. If you listen to his '70s and early '80s albums and then his more recent 3 albums you'd think it was a totally different person

Elton lost his upper and middle registers years ago. He had throat surgery in 1988 which permanently changed it and then age and wear just caught up with him. If you listen to his '70s and early '80s albums and then his more recent 3 albums you'd think it was a totally different person

Also decades of substance abuse - and probably smoking.