Geddy will tell his family's Holocaust story on a Sunday radio interview

blueschica

Q104.3 ( it is online) is airing a special interview with Geddy this Sunday, because it is Holocaust Remembrance Day. I usually sleep in on Sunday but I'm definitely getting up to hear this. I'm sorry I couldn't embed this to get it to play here but more information is in the article- https://dc101.iheart...6SijgiQ9mTU The second video does play!

The interview will be carried in the following places at 7 am on Sunday- Listen to the full interview LIVE this Sunday, January 27, at 7 AM: https://q1043.iheart.com ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Q1043NY/► Twitter: https://twitter.com/Q1043

1B1J0GH.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UTxT-fRMg. PoaD7vZt.jpg

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I'll also bump it for ya, Blues...

I'm not usually one to like musicians and or actors being political, but this one is different.

What I don't like is when celebs chime in with the latest thing like, don't cut down trees (meanwhile their house is made from wood) and don't waste water (meanwhile their swimming pool does a good job of that) or save the environment (and they drive a gas guzzler or own a private jet.)

• Like 2

I'm not usually one to like musicians and or actors being political, but this one is different.

Luckily Rush, and specifically Neil Peart, have never been political...

• Like 2

What I don't like is when celebs chime in with the latest thing like, don't cut down trees (meanwhile their house is made from wood) and don't waste water (meanwhile their swimming pool does a good job of that) or save the environment (and they drive a gas guzzler or own a private jet.)

Not sure what's political about the Holocaust, every human of good will considers it appalling.

• Like 3

Not sure what's political about the Holocaust, every human of good will considers it appalling.

There is nothing political about talking about mass murder and genocide.

When certain people try to get others to NOT talk about it, that's when it becomes political.

• Like 3

Looks like I just got my ass kicked here... Maybe the word, "political" was the wrong word. I meant, I would rather musicians talk about music. I used to like Bruce Cockburn at one time.
  • Like 1

Hey wait. second.. the Holocaust was a huge part of a war. That's not political?

Even if you buy Clausewitz's assertion that war is politics by other means, what was the strategic political objective of the Holocaust? It was motivated by hate based on ancestry and actually counterproductive to any military objective in that resources were used suboptimally in carrying out objectives that were in the service of pure hate.

No decent human being can justify what was done. Any group that tries to defend or justify what was done is the fringiest of the fringe, and finds themselves far out of the political arena. If thie Holocaust is a political debate, the word loses all meaning.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

Hey wait. second.. the Holocaust was a huge part of a war. That's not political?

There are always many aspects of a war between several nations, especially one of that magnitude, and especially when genocide is committed.

My guess is that Geddy's story will be a personal one. It won't have any political agendas.

What was the strategic political objective of the Holocaust? It was motivated by hate based on ancestry and actually counterproductive to any military objective in that resources were used sub-optimally in carrying out objectives that were in the service of pure hate.

In the context of the people of Germany fighting over power and wealth, there was a huge political agenda.

That is the true meaning of the word politics - defining who's in power and who benefits from that power. In Germany's case, the Nazis sought to control everything, rid the country of everyone they deemed inferior, and profit from all the wealth they took from them. It was a Win-Win plan for the Aryans - eradicate the infestation and get rich doing it.

What was the strategic political objective of the Holocaust? It was motivated by hate based on ancestry and actually counterproductive to any military objective in that resources were used sub-optimally in carrying out objectives that were in the service of pure hate.

In the context of the people of Germany fighting over power and wealth, there was a huge political agenda.

That is the true meaning of the word politics - defining who's in power and who benefits from that power. In Germany's case, the Nazis sought to control everything, rid the country of everyone they deemed inferior, and profit from all the wealth they took from them. It was a Win-Win plan for the Aryans - eradicate the infestation and get rich doing it.

I'll concede that the Nazis scapegoated the Jews in their rise to power, and this served (well) a (sick) political objective. By the start of the Holocaust though they had absolute power in Germany, and later the controlled territories and that no political objectives were served by it, in fact, it detracted from their ability to (militarily) obtain more power.

• Like 1

Looks like I just got my ass kicked here... Maybe the word, "political" was the wrong word. I meant, I would rather musicians talk about music. I used to like Bruce Cockburn at one time.

Given the historical magnitude of the event (and the horrific nature of it) and the personal connection to Geddy, I'd much rather hear his perspective on these events than anything he could possibly talk about from his book. This isn't Katy Perry shilling for Hillary, it's something that virtually everyone agrees on and if this personal story educates someone of events they were ignorant about, it serves a far greater purpose than any talk about instruments, music, or even the band as a whole.

• Like 2

OK, for those who are interested and don't get up early on Sundays, Geddy has announced that video of the interview he did with Shelli Sonstein of Toronto's Q104 will be posted on YouTube shortly afterwards. A podcast version will also be available on Sunday morning- "Sonstein Sessions" , which can be found on the Q104.3 website and on the iHeartRadio app. #neverforget #holocaustremembranceday #neveragain

PoaD7vZt.jpg

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Thank you Geddy for mentioning Ben Mink in the story as I was aware of his parents also being survivors of the Holocaust.

The song 'Krakow' (related wikipedia entry here) by FM appears to be a tribute about Ben's parents in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp4Ijg5fXkw

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Really good interview and a very interviewer for once too. No dumb questions and Shelli kept it on topic.
  • Like 1

Really good interview and a very interviewer for once too. No dumb questions and Shelli kept it on topic.

I agree! The story about his grandmother keeping them all together in line was very moving. :heart:

• Like 1

The full interview has been posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPxwSF4CGyo

Thank you. Incredibly moving, and hard to believe that this only happened three or maybe four generations ago...

Never forget, indeed.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 3

I've never liked cockburn.