Clockwork Angels Epiphany

tks95747

If CA was remixed,reordered (The title song should've been the lead off track and two minutes shaved off of it) and three or four of the weaker songs dropped that didn't effect the storyline, I'd probably like it better.

That's exactly how I listen to it. Title track kicks all it off nicely. I cut Seven Cities, Wreckers, Halo Effect, Wish Them Well. I don't need both Caravan and Headlong Flight, so Caravan gets the axe. A trimmed down CA suits me better.

Clockwork Angels is truly a masterpiece. It is a story laid out in the form of an album that takes us through a young man's journey through life...It is very universal...It is perfect ending catalog piece to Rush's discography.

It's also a very consistent album. I don't want to skip any tracks. Doing that, of course, would ruin the story's continuity.

I've created a CA playlist that deletes certain tracks and also re-orders the songs. I find that it vastly improves the album for me. :)

If I did that, I'd be listening to about only three songs from CA.

Clockwork Angels is truly a masterpiece. It is a story laid out in the form of an album that takes us through a young man's journey through life...It is very universal...It is perfect ending catalog piece to Rush's discography.

It's also a very consistent album. I don't want to skip any tracks. Doing that, of course, would ruin the story's continuity.

I've created a CA playlist that deletes certain tracks and also re-orders the songs. I find that it vastly improves the album for me. :)

If I did that, I'd be listening to about only three songs from CA.

Whatever it takes!
  • Like 1

I don't understand the appeal of CA. I've tried to like it, but it just comes across as a re-heated album-length version of 2112, albeit lacking the directness, earnestness and youthful naivete that made that piece so powerful. Neil abandoned fictional narrative concepts in the 70s and I don't know why he felt the need to re-visit that format. Musically, it's a bunch of half-baked ideas stitched together into songs, none of which really hold together. (The lone exception is The Garden, which is the only redeeming feature of the album.) Every now and then I sit down and try to listen to it, but I rarely make it more than halfway through before getting distracted or bored.

Ditto, except I can't get even halfway through. The Garden is a good song, and should've been included on VT so that the band could have retired while they still had some fire in their bellies. Yes, I realize that that would mean Hope would never have seen the light of day, but you don't miss what you don't know.

• Like 1

I can follow the story through the songs, it would make a great movie.