Clockwork Angels Epiphany

tks95747

I think CA is a fine album, concept wise, but the production brings the rating down. Neil's drums, especially the toms, sound like they were recorded underwater, in a pineapple. As mentioned the wall-of-sound brings on ear fatigue rather quickly, I don't think I managed to listen through it one sitting. ...I miss old school albums/ tapes where you got a chance to flip it over, essentially an 'ear break' (ok, beer break).

Oh, BU2B2 is a complete miss...it probably sounded like a good idea on paper or in pre-production...

7.5/10

Pros: another Rush album to bitch about

Cons: the last Rush album to bitch about

"BU2B2 is a complete miss..." Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it... :eh:

I sorta get what they wanted to achieve....a proggy, interlude of sorts to advance the narrative...(like they did on their early work, CoS, or even Cygnus X-1).

Oh well, gotta find something to complain about... :P

I listened to it today too. I would agree it's their strongest album since Power Windows.

I had it on in the car yesterday, and The Anarchist is over the top! But I DO like it more than I did when it first came out. I liked it live, but still wasn't "bought in" to it at the time.

• Like 1

I've been listening to Clockwork Angels a lot and I'm beginning to realize this is actually the best album they've ever done. Everything about this album is amazing. Every single song on this album is kicking my ass.

Shurely shome mishtake?......hic!

• Like 1

I've been listening to Clockwork Angels a lot and I'm beginning to realize this is actually the best album they've ever done. Everything about this album is amazing. Every single song on this album is kicking my ass.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who don't appreciate the genius of Clockwork Angels." - Goethe

"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who don't appreciate the genius of Clockwork Angels." - Goethe

I didn't know he said that.

• Like 1

I didn't know he said that.

That, and "You're freakin' high, man".
  • Like 2

What was your first reaction to CA?

Self-loathing for hoping it was going to be some kind of redemption for Rush.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I honestly can't understand how any Rush fan wouldn't like Clockwork Angels. I get it if you don't like Vapor Trails and I even get it if you don't like Snakes & Arrows, but how can you not like C.A.?

The songs are great, they are rocking as heavy as ever, it's more prog than anything since Hemispheres, it features some of Alex's greatest riff's and solo's, Geddy's bass is just out of this world, Neil's drumming is like the culmination of his entire career.....How can you not like songs like The Anarchist, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, The Garden...? It all sounds so much like everything Rush is about... If this album can't please you I don't think they could ever make an album that would.

• Like 3

I honestly can't understand how any Rush fan wouldn't like Clockwork Angels.

It's the easiest thing in the world to understand! People have different tastes.

• Like 3

It's the easiest thing in the world to understand! People have different tastes.

Yes of course. But if your taste is Rush, I find it hard to understand what you don't like about this album. Just out of curiosity, which are your favorite albums?

Yes of course. But if your taste is Rush, I find it hard to understand what you don't like about this album. Just out of curiosity, which are your favorite albums?

Your zeal to convert the unbeliever is something Torquemada would have been proud of...

Your zeal to convert the unbeliever is something Torquemada would have been proud of...

I have zero interest in converting anyone to anything. I'm just genuinely interested in what records people like or don't like and why.

Boring melodies, strained vocals, pedestrian song arrangements that only delight in the sense that remind you of vintage Rush, preachy lyrics, plodding ballad type tracks, awful production and non-existent mixing. It can sound like one really long boring song in the wrong frame of mind

Quite frankly I can't understand how anyone can hate Roll The Bones but there we go.
  • Like 2

I honestly can't understand how any Rush fan wouldn't like Clockwork Angels. I get it if you don't like Vapor Trails and I even get it if you don't like Snakes & Arrows, but how can you not like C.A.?

The songs are great, they are rocking as heavy as ever, it's more prog than anything since Hemispheres, it features some of Alex's greatest riff's and solo's, Geddy's bass is just out of this world, Neil's drumming is like the culmination of his entire career.....How can you not like songs like The Anarchist, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, The Garden...? It all sounds so much like everything Rush is about... If this album can't please you I don't think they could ever make an album that would.

the magic of opinions......ohhhh.....ahhh......it's magic!!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

Yes of course. But if your taste is Rush, I find it hard to understand what you don't like about this album.

Just out of curiosity, which are your favorite albums?

The good ones, of course. :) (Debut through Moving Pictures)

• Like 1

I don't care for CA for the same reasons someone else just listed:

The sound sucks. Possibly as bad as VT. I can't believe the band signed off on such a brickwalled compressed ear-assaulting mix. Listening to it start to finish is impossible for me

There are hardly any melodies or hooks to the songs that stick with you afterwards

The songs go on too long

The songs don't have any flow to them and sound like they just scotch taped together a bunch of random parts that Geddy sang over (I have the same complaint about Snakes)

Geddys voice is too worn out to still be trying to sing like he did in the '70s. Its so awkward to listen to him strain and creak for an entire album. I also can't make out most of what he's singing, it doesn't even sound like its in English. That's also partly Nick R's botched producing job

The story line is a warmed over mash up redo of The Fountain Of Lamneth and 2112.

Neil sure loves his futuristic dystopias and individualistic protagonists.

• Like 1

The sound sucks. Possibly as bad as VT. I can't believe the band signed off on such a brickwalled compressed ear-assaulting mix. Listening to it start to finish is impossible for me

There are hardly any melodies or hooks to the songs that stick with you afterwards

The songs go on too long

The songs don't have any flow to them and sound like they just scotch taped together a bunch of random parts that Geddy sang over (I have the same complaint about Snakes)

Geddys voice is too worn out to still be trying to sing like he did in the '70s. Its so awkward to listen to him strain and creak for an entire album. I also can't make out most of what he's singing, it doesn't even sound like its in English. That's also partly Nick R's botched producing job

The story line is a warmed over mash up redo of The Fountain Of Lamneth and 2112.

Someone's going to have a hard time understanding your post.

• Like 1

The songs go on too long

I remember Nick R actually telling us not to complain about the mix just before it was released. The production lacks dynamics and subtlety, something the songs were crying out for.

• Like 1

The songs go on too long

I remember Nick R actually telling us not to complain about the mix just before it was released. The production lacks dynamics and subtlety, something the songs were crying out for.

I want to find a link to this...reminds me of when Death Magnetic came out and Lars kept trying to convince himself the album sounded perfect and fans were just whining...