3 Years Ago Today David Bowie Passed Away

Bigbobby10

Sadly his passing was the catalyst for my discovery of much of his music. He stands as my fifth favorite artist (music wise), and proudly so. I had a mini marathon of three of his many classics yesterday: Heroes, Ziggy, and Hunky. Plus I got through a good bit of Blackstar earlier in the day. Brilliant, brilliant artist. Sorely missed, but not for lack of great work to remember him by. Thank goodness he was so prolific and often incredibly consistent.
  • Like 6

Sadly his passing was the catalyst for my discovery of much of his music. He stands as my fifth favorite artist (music wise), and proudly so. I had a mini marathon of three of his many classics yesterday: Heroes, Ziggy, and Hunky. Plus I got through a good bit of Blackstar earlier in the day. Brilliant, brilliant artist. Sorely missed, but not for lack of great work to remember him by. Thank goodness he was so prolific and often incredibly consistent.

Those are three awesome choices. Hunky Dory is one of my all time favorite albums. Such a loss for rock, everywhere.

• Like 5

I bought Blackstar the day it came out and remember thinking it was his best album in about 35 years. Then he died four days later and you realized that he made it knowing it would be his last album and the lyrics took on a whole new meaning.

Its weird how a piece of work has a different perspective based on the events that occur in someones life.

• Like 1

My favorite Bowie album is Station to Station but there are at least 10-12 throughout his career that you can make a case for. His 71-83 run is basically untouchable in the history of music.

fixed

If you haven't seen the documentary on Bowie's last year's on AXS you simply must. It's not negotiable. Do it!

Such a genius, such an asshole. Such an influence.

In the early 80s, Hit Parader had an interview with Krokus. Marc Storace talked about how much they admired Bowie, and how he sort of mentored them. One quote which I'm confident I have almost verbatim was, "Bowie told us Adolf was the best thing to ever happen to Austria. For us, he's another Adolf." Imagine saying that now.

I like David Bowie, his music, and listen to it, too. I miss seeing, and hearing news about him.
  • Like 1