Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

I pretty much agree with what Alex said. They have the talent and drive to eventually develop into a great band. They aren't there yet but they're so young.

They are already being hyped as the second coming, fully formed.

I honestly really wanted to know where they got their name. I thought it was some odd, assumptive mashup of Van Halen or Van Morrison and Fleetwood Mac.... and Greta for some reason.

I haven't really paid any attention to GVF until I saw them on SNL tonight. I enjoyed it! ( Oh what baby faces, though!) I didn't hear any Rush sounds, really, although it was just two songs, but I did think I was listening to Led Zeppelin III for awhile.

While reading through this thread, I didn't see anyone mention their songwriting, though. To be that young and writing your own stuff is a big accomplishment, even if it is somewhat derivative. The jury is still out for me- I'm going to listen to some more and give them some time, if they survive their spring/ summer touring schedule- it looks intense.

Hey Blues... this one would be a good one to watch if you're thinking about giving these guys a chance. It's one song... 26 minutes, a jam really. But, if you can find the time, sit through it, all of it, and you'll be a fan.

Thanks, Thunder! Going to watch/listen now!

Thank you, Thunder! That was awesome! It actually sounded to me like they are honoring a big Deep Purple influence as well as Zeppelin. :heart: :heart: :heart: I'm definitely going to be listening to more!

Not surprised at your reaction... They are a very good live band. The guitar player is unreal, they are all really. Try this one next... it's just recorded from a cell phone, but it's pretty good.

This is the opening of their first show ever in Canada (Two shows in Toronto, both sold out - 3,000 seat venue.) Pay special notice to Jake's guitar solo starting at about the 8:30 mark. When you hear the fan reaction, you'll know these kids will be in the arenas before the end of the year. Keep in mind, this concert was from early July, when all they had out were two 4-song EPs. Their first full CD came out back in October, 2018.

This post could have probably been done in private, but I don't send private messages... Thx!

• Like 2

Sad to say almost totally uninterested in anything going around today, just glad my youth era was 80s/90s really, god help me but after Radiohead tailed off the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real artist. There's nothing out there, nothing. The kids just arent doing it anymore :(

GVF nothing like Rush to me btw, seem decent if you into that kinda thing but not for me

the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real piss artist.

Fixed.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

I haven't really paid any attention to GVF until I saw them on SNL tonight. I enjoyed it! ( Oh what baby faces, though!) I didn't hear any Rush sounds, really, although it was just two songs, but I did think I was listening to Led Zeppelin III for awhile.

While reading through this thread, I didn't see anyone mention their songwriting, though. To be that young and writing your own stuff is a big accomplishment, even if it is somewhat derivative. The jury is still out for me- I'm going to listen to some more and give them some time, if they survive their spring/ summer touring schedule- it looks intense.

Hey Blues... this one would be a good one to watch if you're thinking about giving these guys a chance. It's one song... 26 minutes, a jam really. But, if you can find the time, sit through it, all of it, and you'll be a fan.

Thanks, Thunder! Going to watch/listen now!

Thank you, Thunder! That was awesome! It actually sounded to me like they are honoring a big Deep Purple influence as well as Zeppelin. :heart: :heart: :heart: I'm definitely going to be listening to more!

Not surprised at your reaction... They are a very good live band. The guitar player is unreal, they are all really. Try this one next... it's just recorded from a cell phone, but it's pretty good.

This is the opening of their first show ever in Canada (Two shows in Toronto, both sold out - 3,000 seat venue.) Pay special notice to Jake's guitar solo starting at about the 8:30 mark. When you hear the fan reaction, you'll know these kids will be in the arenas before the end of the year. Keep in mind, this concert was from early July, when all they had out were two 4-song EPs. Their first full CD came out back in October, 2018.

This post could have probably been done in private, but I don't send private messages... Thx!

I was at that Toronto show - one of the best concerts I have seen in a while. they are really good live - better than their albums.

• Like 1

Sad to say almost totally uninterested in anything going around today, just glad my youth era was 80s/90s really, god help me but after Radiohead tailed off the only act that made any kind of impression on me was Kanye West in his live shows, guy's a real artist. There's nothing out there, nothing. The kids just arent doing it anymore :(

GVF nothing like Rush to me btw, seem decent if you into that kinda thing but not for me

80s and 90s were rubbish. What sort of rock music lover has nostalgia for the fecking 90s?

Then you aren't trying very hard. There's a lot of music out there to enjoy from just about every genre. Being uninterested doesn't mean it's not there.

• Like 1

80s and 90s were rubbish. What sort of rock music lover has nostalgia for the fecking 90s?

Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Pantera, Oasis, Alice In Chains, Flaming Lips, Green Day, Weezer, Bjork, Foo Fighters, Sublime, No Doubt, Wilco...

You're telling me every band on that list is garbage?

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Cranberries, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Pantera, Oasis, Alice In Chains, Flaming Lips, Green Day, Weezer, Bjork, Foo Fighters, Sublime, No Doubt, Wilco...

Well, Flaming Lips, Weezer and Sublime certainly are.

I would say that MOST of the bands on that list are garbage.

• Like 1

Well, Flaming Lips, Weezer and Sublime certainly are.

Disagree, but whatever. Tastes don't include every band, but nothing at all form the 90s? That seems dismissive.

• Like 1

Always liked Soundgarden. But, most of the other bands in the 90s are too commercialized.

Another reason I like Van Fleet, is that they (at least seem so far) to be clean cut kids, no smoking, no drugs, no pictures of them staggering around with a bottle of Jack in their hand, not covered in silly tattoos and piercings just so to look "cool" like a "rock star." Seemingly, non-commercialized.

Always liked Soundgarden. But, most of the other bands in the 90s are too commercialized.

Another reason I like Van Fleet, is that they (at least seem so far) to be clean cut kids, no smoking, no drugs, no pictures of them staggering around with a bottle of Jack in their hand, not covered in silly tattoos and piercings just so to look "cool" like a "rock star." Seemingly, non-commercialized.

I disagree with the non-commercialized sentiment. Whoever's in charge of them is more than likely very well aware of their inherently Zep sound, and ever more well aware of the market of older and younger rock fans alike who wish there was more Zep out there than there ever will be.

They do seem like a nice bunch of guys though. I imagine if I knew them we'd be friends.

I disagree with the non-commercialized sentiment. Whoever's in charge of them is more than likely very well aware of their inherently Zep sound, and ever more well aware of the market of older and younger rock fans alike who wish there was more Zep out there than there ever will be.

They do seem like a nice bunch of guys though. I imagine if I knew them we'd be friends.

Bullshit. Right now they sound like NOTHING else that is current on the radio, they don't even look like they are chasing trends and they are enjoying themselves, and even trying to survive the little backlash they have going on right now.

They are exciting, and the most amazing thing is is that there is nothing about them that looks or sounds ready for the modern music market.

Bullshit. Right now they sound like NOTHING else that is current on the radio, they don't even look like they are chasing trends and they are enjoying themselves, and even trying to survive the little backlash they have going on right now.

They are exciting, and the most amazing thing is is that there is nothing about them that looks or sounds ready for the modern music market.

There's a definite market for their sound, and that market is represented by something that plays on the radio. It's made up of Led Zeppelin fans who listen to classic rock radio. An oldies format, yes, but a popular one with many listeners. The reason GVF stand out on the radio isn't that they sound like nothing else on it, but that they sound like they belong on the classic rock stations rather than the new ones. They are very ready for the modern music market, just a part of it that hasn't been attracted to fresh blood in a long time, and that's why they're so popular. If they weren't commercialized, they'd likely not have made much of a splash.

The last band to hit Rush standard were Radiohead, is simple as that. Since they tailed off theres been nothing in that genre, plenty making numbers up but nothing of THAT quality

Sometimes you can enjoy a band's sound because it reminds you of a band you love, for me, this band reminds me of L.Zep and a bit of Rush first album. I don't listen to hard rock music usually, but this band gives me the urge to discover more music of that genre.

The last band to hit Rush standard were Radiohead, is simple as that. Since they tailed off theres been nothing in that genre, plenty making numbers up but nothing of THAT quality

Subjective opinion always wins the debate.

• Like 3

Subjective opinion always wins the debate.

Glad someone else said it.

WE ALL KNOW THAT GHOST IS THE NEW RUSH!

• Like 1

Okay, I think I MAY have found a Fleet song that sounds a bit like Rush, especially when the guitar pattern kicks in at about the 00.45 second mark. The vocal sounds nothing like Geddy, but the guitar... hmmm??

GREAT song either way.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 1

:LOL:

Here's Greta Van Fleet's music used literally in a commercial.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ItUg/ram-1500-americas-game-song-by-greta-van-fleet-t1

• Like 1