Greta Van Fleet sounds like Rush??

Thunder Bay Rush

While I'm not really a fan, Rival Sons should be the rock revival band getting all this hype that GVF is. They're much better at pulling off the old school rock sound while still making it sound like they're not completely trying to copy another band.

YYNot has their own flavor too.

Mick

True.

But they have the stigma of being known as a cover band before they released their own music. Nobody respects cover bands.

My favorite cuts on Live At Leeds are covers. Bowie did covers on most of his best albums. Van Halen could make a whole covers album out of the covers they scattered throughout their records. Not saying there isn’t a stigma, but there really shouldn’t be. I spent 100 bucks to go see The Musical Box last year.

• Like 2

While I'm not really a fan, Rival Sons should be the rock revival band getting all this hype that GVF is. They're much better at pulling off the old school rock sound while still making it sound like they're not completely trying to copy another band.

Mick

True.

But they have the stigma of being known as a cover band before they released their own music. Nobody respects cover bands.

My favorite cuts on Live At Leeds are covers. Bowie did covers on most of his best albums. Van Halen could make a whole covers album out of the covers they scattered throughout their records. Not saying there isn’t a stigma, but there really shouldn’t be. I spent 100 bucks to go see The Musical Box last year.

Completely missed my point. Playing some covers and being known as a cover band are two different things. The Who, VH and Bowie all made it huge on their own original material. They didn't have the reputation of being good at playing other people's stuff in a bar and nothing else. There are tribute acts out there that go all out like The Musical Box. I know Zeppelin and Floyd have tribute bands like that who tour nationally and charge good money for tickets. And good for them. They learned how to play another bands songs and copy all their mannerisms and looks and scam people into paying for it. Doesn't mean a thing to me. Music is about genuinely expressing yourself through your own work. It's not about learning other bands songs and cosplaying as them because you couldn't hack it as an original songwriter.

Mick

True.

Completely missed my point. Playing some covers and being known as a cover band are two different things. The Who, VH and Bowie all made it huge on their own original material. They didn't have the reputation of being good at playing other people's stuff in a bar and nothing else. There are tribute acts out there that go all out like The Musical Box. I know Zeppelin and Floyd have tribute bands like that who tour nationally and charge good money for tickets. And good for them. They learned how to play another bands songs and copy all their mannerisms and looks and scam people into paying for it. Doesn't mean a thing to me. Music is about genuinely expressing yourself through your own work. It's not about learning other bands songs and cosplaying as them because you couldn't hack it as an original songwriter.

Completely missed my point as well. I'm saying a lot of famous artists relied on covers before they found their own voices, and often liked doing covers enough to keep it up even after they had already gotten big from their own material. If they could start out covering songs then, and continue covering songs after getting big, why not anymore?

Mick

True.

Completely missed my point as well. I'm saying a lot of famous artists relied on covers before they found their own voices, and often liked doing covers enough to keep it up even after they had already gotten big from their own material. If they could start out covering songs then, and continue covering songs after getting big, why not anymore?

Nope, I got your point but you're still missing mine.

I understand when bands start out they play covers. I have no problem with that. As long as a band makes it on their own merit I don't mind if they still throw covers in here and there. My issue is tribute acts who make money off the hard work and legacy of another band. They didn't do anything but learn how to play somebody else's songs and I'm supposed to pay money to see that? Sorry, that doesn't work for me.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I just want them to really find their own sound and write some killer songs, and fast. I can dig a lot of what's on the EP and the first album, but I've definitely played more Zep and Rush since hearing the GVF records than more GVF. I just find I don't care enough about what I've heard from them to start craving it after a while. Taking some time to make statement of a second record will do them and their longevity a lot of good.

There will be a new album this year apparently:

https://www.nme.com/...ng-year-2440108

I don't think we'll really know if GVF will fulfill its apparent promise for a few years. If we're still talking about them in 3 years, they are the phenom they appear to have the potential to become.

But it's 2019. To expect to see any band repeat the success pattern of a band like Led Zeppelin or Rush is naive,

Things are too different now.

I don't really care.

I love the music they have made so far and I loved their live performance.

So long as they keep doing that I will be satisfied with them.

Now if they turn out to redefine what rock stardom is like in the 21st century that will be a really exciting thing to see. And if that is a thing that can happen this is the band most likely to do it.

Edited by rftag

Mick

True.

Bullshit.

YYNot have received tremendous press for a self released album artist, and the songs are building momentum all the time. They could blow up next album.

Mick

True.

Nope, I got your point but you're still missing mine.

I understand when bands start out they play covers. I have no problem with that. As long as a band makes it on their own merit I don't mind if they still throw covers in here and there. My issue is tribute acts who make money off the hard work and legacy of another band. They didn't do anything but learn how to play somebody else's songs and I'm supposed to pay money to see that? Sorry, that doesn't work for me.

Oh I see. Tribute bands vs. cover bands. That is different. I'll pay to see an up and coming artist do some covers, and some tribute bands have the right circumstances that I'll pay to see them (The Musical Box mainly). Many tribute acts I'm not so keen on though, and it really just depends on my thoughts on the band and why I can't go see that band perform what their tribute band offers. Not really sure I'd pay to see Brit Floyd unless someone talked me into it (and bought my ticket), but I'd probably go watch an early Beatles tribute band. In the same vein, I still wouldn't want to pay to see a Kiss tribute band when the real one is still out there touring (even if Paul's voice is shot), but I could get excited to go see Queen's official tribute act The Queen Extravaganza (though that has more to do with it being Queen than anything).

I thought you were just talking about cover bands in general, which I didn't get because most every band starts out as a cover band.

EDIT: to be clear, I guess it's just really contextual if I'm into a particular tribute band or not. I don't necessarily have standards about it, but it's just a matter of what the circumstances are and how I feel about them.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

There are tribute acts out there that go all out like The Musical Box. I know Zeppelin and Floyd have tribute bands like that who tour nationally and charge good money for tickets. And good for them. They learned how to play another bands songs and copy all their mannerisms and looks and scam people into paying for it.

It's not a scam to sell nostalgia. Ticket buyers know what they're coming to see when they go to these things.

Mick

True.

But they have the stigma of being known as a cover band before they released their own music.

They do? There's no single route to legitimacy as an artist. YYNOT has arrived at a place where they can legitimately be called a stellar originals band who are worthy of the public's attention, imo. Their debut album is comprised of all original songs and their 2nd album will presumably be all original songs again. Why should it matter if they got there via a tribute to Rush?

Billy basically writes hits with a Rush flavor. That's actually quite a feat. Rush could hardly do that. In Greta's case, it's more like demonic possession. They haven't earned my respect at all and might actually be the scammers in this scenario because they don't write and perform with a flavor of Led Zeppelin. They write and perform as Led Zeppelin.

Nobody respects cover bands.

Do tribute acts ask for the respect originals bands get? Seems to me, they exist to celebrate the work of the band they love and most of them will never make a dime out of it or receive any sort of fame for it. They're really just fans.

I am now certified huge fan of GV Fleet. I've been watching them on the Google... youtubes galore. They are now headliners and sell out almost everywhere many months in advance to 10,000 seat venues. They're playing TWO nights at Red Rocks in Colorado, the first night night sold out in three days... 9,700 seats.

I truly believe that for those who really don't like these guys, watch them more. They will win you over (most of you.) As mentioned above the kid has a wicked set of pipes and he sings IN TUNE night after night. The rest of the band are all top-notch players, and they are still so young. The youngest brother is just 19 or 20 and plays GREAT bass and keyboards, bass with his feet with some pedals.

I'm 57 and I have seen all the big bands... Rush 28 times, The Stones, Bowie, Boston, Aerosmith, Queen, Styx... many more. And, after watching the Youtube live concert videos of GVF, with the crowd reaction, I can honestly say I have never seen a band do that before. They were playing 100 seat shitty bars only 1 1/2 years ago.

A friend of mine was in Miami to see them earlier this month... he said the place was completely packed, 10,000 people, and NOBODY that he saw sat down even once. This band has an intense connection to their fans that is rarely seen. People travel across the country to see them (if they can get tickets.)

• Like 2

I am now certified huge fan of GV Fleet. I've been watching them on the Google... youtubes galore. They are now headliners and sell out almost everywhere many months in advance to 10,000 seat venues. They're playing TWO nights at Red Rocks in Colorado, the first night night sold out in three days... 9,700 seats.

I truly believe that for those who really don't like these guys, watch them more. They will win you over (most of you.) As mentioned above the kid has a wicked set of pipes and he sings IN TUNE night after night. The rest of the band are all top-notch players, and they are still so young. The youngest brother is just 19 or 20 and plays GREAT bass and keyboards, bass with his feet with some pedals.

I'm 57 and I have seen all the big bands... Rush 28 times, The Stones, Bowie, Boston, Aerosmith, Queen, Styx... many more. And, after watching the Youtube live concert videos of GVF, with the crowd reaction, I can honestly say I have never seen a band do that before. They were playing 100 seat shitty bars only 1 1/2 years ago.

A friend of mine was in Miami to see them earlier this month... he said the place was completely packed, 10,000 people, and NOBODY that he saw sat down even once. This band has an intense connection to their fans that is rarely seen. People travel across the country to see them (if they can get tickets.)

Well I hope their next record makes me that kind of fan too.

• Like 3

I have a thread at CP called Worst Rock Look. If the board ever becomes functional again, he's going in it.

tTa6UF3YfCJHA8rQD85bEU-320-80.jpg

This mustache may top my list.

• Like 2